Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Silently install internet security certificate?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

fly

fly

• PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 21-December 04
I have a self-signed internet security certificate that I need to silently install. I can't find a **** thing about it on the internets. The file extension is .cer. Anyone know about this?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

ryath

ryath

• 20 posts
  • Joined 20-September 05
I had a similar goal, had a certificate that we install on all laptops. So my first solution was I made a vbscript that copies a folder of files to the local computer then runs a batch file. The vbscript ran on login via group policy. However you could run it manually or something like that.

Files in the folder included:

certmgr.exe
certificate file (my cert wasnt a .cer file though)
and some registry changes for ie
install.bat

install.bat looked like the following:

@echo off
regedit /s "myregfileforie.reg"
certmgr.exe -add -c "mycert.p7b" -s -r localMachine root
exit

for info sake the reg file contained the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\mydomain.com]
"*"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\2]
"1A00"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\mydomain]
"*"=dword:00000002

This basically just added my local domain as a trusted site.

My 2nd solution that I made later on, was to bundle the above into a .msi installer file. That is much more complicated to explain. :) Hope this sets you on the right track!

fly

fly

• PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 21-December 04
Ahhh! For the life of me I couldn't find the command line tool I'd need for this. Thank you very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users