firefox reputation

sameen

firefox? crashing? dont make me laugh, its stable as hell and much much better than ie7, anything IE can do firefox can do better :P

Except activeX. I don't think they've updated the plug-in for it yet have they? I tried using the older version one but it wouldn't work. Firefox has crashed on me a few times. And for some reason I can't upgrade to the latest version, 2.0.0.3. Not a huge problem, it just annoys me that it has to bring it up almost everytime I open up my browser. I think it's time for the annual clean install.

Firefox isn't as good as it earlier was. The memory leaks have become a favourite topic of discussion. Also, it isn't AS secure as we were led believe- the recent Animated Cursor flaw in Windows highlights that.

If you're looking for Security and Stability/Speed, Opera is your browser.

If you're looking for Features and Extendibility/Customizability, Firefox is your browser.

If you're looking for malware/trojans etc, then Internet Explorer is your browser :P

--

The reason though why Fx became so popular is because as a user, you could get many extensions to do things more easily. As a developer, you could practically implement features that you want without perstering and begging the dev team (as Opera fans have to do so regularly :P)

--

i just want to know do u still think its good if yes why ?

It's good because it offers a choice- infact, a wide variety of choices that no other browser in the market currently has. Many people have become addicted to some extensions that they cannot live without. These people won't ever let go of Firefox because of that.

In the end, its what does your job the best. I find myself using all the three browsers for various reasons, and I'm not even talking about web-development.

but the windows cursor problem is not a problem with firefox, its because of a flaw in windows.

I agree that firefox has gotten more bloated and slower to load but its still my browser of choice. It has lots of great plugins to extend functionality.

"but the windows cursor problem is not a problem with firefox, its because of a flaw in windows."

Yes, but the browser shouldn't allow the flaw to be executed in the first place. Example: If you viewed that infected site in Opera, your PC wouldn't be affected, but if you viewed it in Firefox or IE, your system would have been affected.

Don't known if anyone noticed it, but ie7 has a critical bug in cache handling,

if the url page doesn't have an extension and you have a form using post,

ie7 will not update the page and you will have the old copy picked from cache.

It's not so common, but almost unusable for developing pages on zope,

the pages with the code never changes even if you post changes.

The only solution is disable caching at all.

I went a bit OT, but anyway firefox2 is faster than ie7 (don't talk me about resources

since ie7 has almost all the code already loaded by explorer.exe)

It has native support for svg, mathml and many web technologies, while

ie7 as new feature only supports alpha on png, I think ms

should do better if they want to have a competitive product when web will go 2.0

(ajax and friends based applications).

ActiveX is very dangerous, and ie supports xml remote objects only using activex.

i dont know why but firefox become so popular.what i noticed is that version 2 is a hell badly managed heavly slow + crashes. i just want to know do u still think its good if yes why ?

My OS is Windows 2000 sp4, the one i favored with some degree of professional judge (i was MVP), thus no IE7 upgrade available, only IE6.

1. Firefox load slower (than IE6) and not render some pages correctly, but it's alive, and the future if i keep running Win2K.

2. Firefox has more features which i need urgently. Like tab, larger default font size (adjustable). On IE6, MSFN's font size is just too small for me to read...and the slower loading speed is not that much noticeable.

3. My Win2K is kind of a big self-deploy project, with lot of stuff integrated into one DVD, Firefox is easier to integrate into my DVD, along with other open source software, like miranda messenger, no installation needed, just put them in directory.

4. Only at a clean, newly installed Windows system, you can accuse the problem comes from the software. Basically, FF never crashes on my system, however, not exclude some configurations may cause problems.

5. Though every software got it's own weakness, Firefox is external to windows system, intrinsically, safer than IE6/7, which is highly integrated into windows.

Edited by godel.chen

Firefox is one of the best browsers at least for me! My brother uses IE7 and he also said that ie is a piece of c*r*a*p* !

Mozilla has countless advantages and if that is not enough Mozilla Add-ons do the job!

That's my opinion!

bye

firefox? crashing? dont make me laugh, its stable as hell and much much better than ie7, anything IE can do firefox can do better :P

An easy way to crash FF....

Start downloading anyfile through FF's Built in downloader

Close any instances of FF except the download status window.

Reload FF

Should crash FF.

If it dont work, try again...

No such problems with IE7 or Opera9.xx

And yeah ...What a memory hogger!

my reasons for not using firefox 2 all summed up...

i currently use 1.5.0.9

support has ended for it, but it runs very stably....and in classic look it matches everything else on my computer, while not hogging my resources...but with over a gig of RAM, nothing really hogs anything...theres enough to go around.

Reload FF

Should crash FF.

just tried that, downloading ie7 (oh the irony) closed ff and reopened - nothing! ff didnt even flinch, but lets not argue, each to their own :rolleyes:

Edited by eyeball

Reload FF

Should crash FF.

just tried that, downloading ie7 (oh the irony) closed ff and reopened - nothing! ff didnt even flinch, but lets not argue, each to their own :rolleyes:

I'm with you.

Firefox never crashed when I opened another Firefox with one Firefox downloading a file.

Sorry, Lightbringer, I can't reproduce the problem.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP