Running XP with no firewall,anti-virus or update, And pc is fine!

albator

great topic, i'm on this group too that doesnt trust microsoft with its updates :)

the best Windows Protection i think it is

Win2000(i removed IE totaly)/Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.6/Firefox(with NoScript)

with sygate, i just block all windows services for using the network, the only allowed app's are Firefox, MSN and so on

ps, there's is a great feature that i love on sygate, its called DLL Authentication, it searches for new files that are loaded from a programm that is already running, it knows the difference of the application in a before/after way, it even detects if you install the Flash Player on Firefox (example), and it asks you if you want to give the app access on the Net, some users hate this Pop Up, but i think its the best thing that happened in my computer life :)

CONCLUSION......BELIEVE IS GOOD, CONTROL IS BETTER

Sygate isn't a good firewall, its average. If you must use a firewall then use the best - Comodo or Jetico. Anyways, the topic of this thread is about running a PC without a firewall / antivirus.

http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-p...sts-results.php

Firefox with NoScript isn't secure. The most secure (graphical) web-browser is Opera.

Edited by [deXter]

try doing that without a router, and you'll soon start getting problems!

No, I dont have a router, all my ports are open

No software firewall, no hardware firewall

why risk it? its not worth it for the sake of 15-20mb extra ram usage from a firewall or AV, i could understand if we were all on p100's with 32mb ram but come on its 2007 and 2GB of ram is the norm these days!

:whistle:

Edited by eyeball

why risk it? its not worth it for the sake of 15-20mb extra ram usage from a firewall or AV, i could understand if we were all on p100's with 32mb ram but come on its 2007 and 2GB of ram is the norm these days!

What risk?

Edited by jcarle

why how much ram are you running on? i thought everyone these days had a minimum of 1GB

Some PC are sold today with 512 meg, most have 1Gig (because Vista needs it since a few months), and high end PCs have 2Gigs. This is in the shops, it can hardly be taken as a norm for PCs in use. I'm sure less than 1 in 20 computers in use (I don't count industrial PCs of course) has 2Gig of RAM.

i also dun have a problem with IE but i love firefox and jcarle,dexter one can use IE securely but u need 2 know some reg hacks and stuff which general pc users don't know and they find firefox with its extensions better

i also dun have a problem with IE but i love firefox and jcarle,dexter one can use IE securely but u need 2 know some reg hacks and stuff which general pc users don't know and they find firefox with its extensions better

I don't use any reg hacks whatsoever. I use a stock, default IE.

try doing that without a router, and you'll soon start getting problems!

No, I dont have a router, all my ports are open

No software firewall, no hardware firewall

Probably are going to get malware, if not already. Malware would sneak in easily! Future rootkits may easily find their way without you noticing. That's very smart!

Probably are going to get malware, if not already. Malware would sneak in easily! Future rootkits may easily find their way without you noticing. That's very smart!

Maybe if you don't know what you're doing.

I am now using no firewall, no antivirus or anti trojan, spyware of anykind. I have medium nlited xp with no security udptate. (only Service back 2 build). It has been 2 weeks and yesterday I did a manual anti-virus scan, the result: nothing.

How is that possible ?, because I dont use internet explore and the bare minimum ms services ( about a dozen).

I was surprise to see that with only the service pack I was worm and virus bulletproof.

My conclusion is that security is best achieved by computer skills rather than by a ton of security software.

I whole heartly agree!

The closest thing I use that is Virus Protection is Adaware and, I use it manually. I've been doing this for years (7) and don't have any issues. By the way, I just upgraded to Windows 2000 as of this year. Pre-dating that I was on Windows 98. I feel my surfing habits (Being more on technical forums & sites) and browser choice (Opera) makes a huge difference.

Maybe if you don't know what you're doing.

I'm serious, port 135 and 445 are open by default! That was very smart, Microsoft! :(

Unless the ISP is blocking those ports, you're probably gonna get attacked!

Expect to eventually get this from Windows, "The system is shutting down, because the RPC service terminated unexpectedly." and etc. or similar.

And likely Windows file corruption. It's likely that you're gonna get often occurring DOSes.

I'm serious, port 135 and 445 are open by default! That was very smart, Microsoft! :(

Unless the ISP is blocking those ports, you're probably gonna get attacked!

Expect to eventually get this from Windows, "The system is shutting down, because the RPC service terminated unexpectedly." and etc. or similar.

And likely Windows file corruption. It's likely that you're gonna get often occurring DOSes.

You will only ever have this issue if you do not keep your windows up to date.