Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to recover files with odd security settings

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Joined 25-February 07
For some odd reason, a bunch of photos on our family computer have become unavailable because of odd permissions. The images are all .jpg. What happened is I (stupidly :blushing: ) deleted the account that had uploaded the files, and somehow that account got set to be the only one allowed to open the files. So now, no-one has ownership of the files, not even admins. System can access them, but I don't like using system all the time. I know that you can go into safe mode to be able to see the security tab and to take ownership, which I have done with some files already, but the thing is Safe Mode is a pain in the @$$ on this computer. I posted about it but never got it resolved. So my question is if there is any way for me to take ownership of a lot of files all at once or even individually if need be without going into safe mode. I can't disable simple file sharing because it's XP Home. Any ideas, or better yet, any ideas on how to fix safe mode, so I can do it there? Or even find a way to create a new user with the same SID, but I doubt that's possible. Any help would be appreciated!
-Idontwantspam

What's your home network like?
Windows 7: It does fancy!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

[deXter]

[deXter]

The Lord of the Scripts

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Joined 08-May 04
You can try the chown utility for windows.

http://wwwthep.physi...frink/chown.zip

Extract chown.exe to the WINDOWS folder for ease of use.

Once done, goto Start -> Run (or CMD.exe) and type:

chown -r -v Username Foldername

Where Username is your current account name in XP, and Foldername is the name of the folder or files which you want to take ownership of. (wildcards * and ? are supported)

Edited by [deXter], 20 April 2007 - 11:20 PM.

One Script to rule them all, One Script to find them, One Script to bring them all and in the web bind them

In the Land of The Net where the Hackers lie.

JulesKr

JulesKr

• 23 posts
  • Joined 23-November 06
I encountered the same problem, the whole documents and settings directory of one user was inaccessible, kept on complaining about insufficient access rights. Never found out what happened during patching (that was the time it occured). I was only able to copy all the data to a fat32 disk when running knoppix (linux with tools running from cd). Then I wiped the disk, ran a fresh install and restored the data.

Jules

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,308 posts
  • Joined 23-November 05
You need to take ownership of the documents or the folder as local administrator then give yourself the rights you need. This is in the options in the security tab of the properties.

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Joined 25-February 07

You need to take ownership of the documents or the folder as local administrator then give yourself the rights you need. This is in the options in the security tab of the properties.

I know that! But this is Windows XP Home Edition. It has no Security tab, and no way to turn it on, in Normal Mode. When in Safe Mode, it is there, but if you had read the whole post, you would have seen that the computer doesn't go into safe mode easily and that it has "issues" that make this hard. I can't transfer the files elsewhere like to a computer with the Security tab, because all permissions have been removed except for the (gone) owner and System. Next time, read the post!
-Idontwantspam

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
  • Joined 24-September 03
stick it in an xp pro machine and change the permissions that way, or you might be able to do it from a BartPE cd.

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Joined 25-February 07

stick it in an xp pro machine and change the permissions that way, or you might be able to do it from a BartPE cd.

Problem is, I can't even put them on a USB flash drive or a CD because the permissions don't allow anything. At all. I suppose I could do the procedure to run explorer.exe as SYSTEM, then be allowed to do the mentioned procedure. I suppose it would be easier just to bear with Safe Mode... there are so many files, that method wouldn't even be practical. Thanks though.
-Idontwantspam

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,308 posts
  • Joined 23-November 05

Next time, read the post!

OK, I did now. :rolleyes: I think BartPE is the way to go if you tried everything else. From BartPE, copy and paste them in a directory you have rights on, you should be ok. You can even copy them to a USB stick providing it's plugged at start. Yes I did read your last post but you say you can't put them on usb or on cd from your own system, not fro BartPE.

bonestonne

bonestonne

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • Joined 27-July 05
add your name to the users list that can access the folder...i remember doing that before..took a long time because you had to do it with everything.

that or maybe unlocker can do it? never tried to use unlocker for it though.

New Machine:
|Dual Intel Xeon E5-2620--Xigmatek SD1283 DK-II x2|Asus Z9PA-D8--HR-55 IFX|Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD SATA3|32gb DDR3-1600 ECC RDIMM|WD Blue 640GB SATA2 x2|Apple Slim Keyboard|Apple Mighty Mouse|nVidia GTX660ti 2GB|Antec HCG-750|NZXT Source 210 Elite|M-Audio ProFire 2626|Art TubeOpto8 with Smooth Plate Tube Swap|Avid Artist Mix x2|Acer S211 HL-BD x2|

Old Machine:
||Core 2 Quad Q9400||Scythe Ninja||MSI Neo P45||Thermalright HR-05||M-Audio ProFire 2626||Cooler Master Elite 330||
||Apple Mighty Mouse||150GB WD Raptor HDD||640GB WD Blue||HL DVD+/-RW||nVidia GTX260||
||8GB DDR2-800 Dual Channel||Corsair 400CW PSU||Dell basic USB KB||150GB WD Raptor||2x 22" LCD||
||Boston Acoustic mains + Creative sub||Innovation Cooling Diamond 7 TIM||

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
  • Joined 24-September 03
I meant put the drive itself in an xp pro machine and change the permissions and take ownership from xp pro

[deXter]

[deXter]

The Lord of the Scripts

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Joined 08-May 04
Did you try chown yet?
One Script to rule them all, One Script to find them, One Script to bring them all and in the web bind them

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Joined 25-February 07

Next time, read the post!

OK, I did now. :rolleyes: I think BartPE is the way to go if you tried everything else. From BartPE, copy and paste them in a directory you have rights on, you should be ok. You can even copy them to a USB stick providing it's plugged at start. Yes I did read your last post but you say you can't put them on usb or on cd from your own system, not fro BartPE.

Thanks. Um, excuse my stupid question :blushing: , but what is BartPE? How do I use it? Where do I get it?

add your name to the users list that can access the folder...i remember doing that before..took a long time because you had to do it with everything.

that or maybe unlocker can do it? never tried to use unlocker for it though.

Tried adding "Everyone" to the folder permissions... it didn't work; all of the individual files are still restricted. :(

I meant put the drive itself in an xp pro machine and change the permissions and take ownership from xp pro

That wouldn't be easy. It's inside of a desktop that I don't know how to take apart - I don't know much about hardware yet. Also, I have no WinXP Pro desktops around to put it in/attach it to, and my laptop would have no way to connect to it, I don't think.

Anyone else have any ideas? Is there a way I could connect my laptop to this desktop? Or, better yet, is there any way to fix the safe-mode problem? That would really make it all easier and resolve the bigger part of the problem.
-Idontwantspam

[deXter]

[deXter]

The Lord of the Scripts

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Joined 08-May 04
Idontwantspam, once again, did you try chown? Why are you ignoring my replies?

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,308 posts
  • Joined 23-November 05

what is BartPE? How do I use it? Where do I get it?

search for BartPE, you can't miss it, you'll come up with an application (PEbulder) that builds a bootable CD that is sort of Windows Preinstall Environnement. Booting that CD, you can read NTFS, open some files, perform a chkdsk and other stuff. It can be very usefull.
You need an XP install disk or at least the i386 folder, a bit nLite's way. It's not very difficult.
And please.. don't ignore DeXter . :D

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Joined 25-February 07
Sorry deXter. Somehow I missed that post... Oops! :blushing:
I will download & try that when I get a chance. I apologize!
If Chown doesn't work, I will try BartPE.

Thanks everyone.

EDIT:
Um, deXter, with your instructions above, you say Username should be the current user. Can that be any user? I assume that part of the command sets who the owner should be; can I have the "username" be "everyone"? Thanks again, sorry I missed that. (Stupid me)

Edited by Idontwantspam, 22 April 2007 - 10:52 AM.

-Idontwantspam

[deXter]

[deXter]

The Lord of the Scripts

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Joined 08-May 04
No problem Idontwantspam, I guess my replies had been blocked by your 'spam' filters :P

And yes, you can set the username as any user. And no, the username can't be "Everyone".

"Everyone" is a group and chown doesn't support groups.

However, there is a more advanced utility from Microsoft, called Xcacls. Instructions on how to use it are over here.

To use the group "Everyone", just use the SID S-1-1-0. So with xcacls, the command might be something like this:

xcacls "foldername" /F /S /T /E /G SID#S-1-1-0:D

Edited by [deXter], 22 April 2007 - 09:01 PM.

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Joined 25-February 07
THANK YOU deXter!!!!!
(And yes those CAPS mean yelling - happy yelling!! :) :))

The XCACLS method appears to work. I tested on my XP MCE machine, and will try it on the said box that I originally talked about as soon as I get a chance. I will report back when I get a chance. THANK YOU SO MUCH!
You're great! :wub:
-Idontwantspam

bonestonne

bonestonne

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • Joined 27-July 05
glad you got it working, but the trick about changing permissions is that you have to do it with everything. no joke. every single file would need to be changed.

New Machine:
|Dual Intel Xeon E5-2620--Xigmatek SD1283 DK-II x2|Asus Z9PA-D8--HR-55 IFX|Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD SATA3|32gb DDR3-1600 ECC RDIMM|WD Blue 640GB SATA2 x2|Apple Slim Keyboard|Apple Mighty Mouse|nVidia GTX660ti 2GB|Antec HCG-750|NZXT Source 210 Elite|M-Audio ProFire 2626|Art TubeOpto8 with Smooth Plate Tube Swap|Avid Artist Mix x2|Acer S211 HL-BD x2|

Old Machine:
||Core 2 Quad Q9400||Scythe Ninja||MSI Neo P45||Thermalright HR-05||M-Audio ProFire 2626||Cooler Master Elite 330||
||Apple Mighty Mouse||150GB WD Raptor HDD||640GB WD Blue||HL DVD+/-RW||nVidia GTX260||
||8GB DDR2-800 Dual Channel||Corsair 400CW PSU||Dell basic USB KB||150GB WD Raptor||2x 22" LCD||
||Boston Acoustic mains + Creative sub||Innovation Cooling Diamond 7 TIM||

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Joined 25-February 07
It appears that if I use deXter's method, I can change all of the file in a certain folder including all files in sub-folders. Unless I'm mistaken, but I think this is true. You are right that doing it with the Security tab you have to do all the files, but not with this method I don't think.
-Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Joined 25-February 07
Ah ha!
So, I tried it with deXter's method, and for some odd reason, it didn't work. :unsure: Don't know why... It was giving me error messages, I think because there was NO owner set. As I said, these files were totally screwy. They were driving me nuts! :crazy: Weird. Anyhow, I did discover that Safe Mode With Networking works, so from there I was able to access the Security tab and use it. deXter, I love your method, but it didn't seem to work. Odd, I know, because it worked fine for me on other computers. Thanks anyway; I will use it elsewhere, I'm sure. Anyhow, not sure quite why normal safe mode doesn't work; that still has me perplexed. Thanks again everyone!
-Idontwantspam

[deXter]

[deXter]

The Lord of the Scripts

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Joined 08-May 04
What errors are you getting, exactly?

Did you try it without the /E switch? if you remove /E, it'll replace the whole ACL instead of editing it. It should clear up all the ACL mess the files are in.

Also, did you try the SID S-1-5-32-544 ? This is the SID of the Admin group, so any user who's in the admin group will get the ownership to the files. You can also use the SID S-1-5-32-547 for power users and S-1-5-32-545 for normal users.

If all the above fail, you can also try SetACL to do it too :)

SetACL -on "name-or-path-of-ur-folder" -ot file -actn setprot -op "dacl:np;sacl:nc" -rec cont_obj -actn setowner -ownr "n:S-1-5-32-544;s:y"

This command resets a whole directory tree and sets the owner of all files and directories to the group 'administrators' :)

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Joined 25-February 07
I don't remember and can't check now. When I try again, I will reply here again with exactly what was wrong. I think - but could be wrong - that it said error code 5, but I'm not sure. I'll try removing the /E switch. Thanks again, you're a genius!
-Idontwantspam

Celestial Fury

Celestial Fury

• 23 posts
  • Joined 16-September 04
The easiest way I have found so far to get round this problem is to run MS Backup utility to backup the entire folder.
Then restore it and change the permissions in the restore wizard.

Works every time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users