WMICORE.DLL

marebear7282

As it's name indicate, it is the core component of the Windows Management Instrumentation. It should go into the system dir I think.

I am pretty sure you don't need WMI on your laptop anyway.

It's not needed on any computer IMO.

Can I ask what you are using WMI for ?

wmicore.dll is related to wmiexe.exe

It is in c:\windows\system\ in both my 98 and 98SE machines, and is apparently a registered Microsoft system file in 98/98SE/Me/2000/XP, although the location may vary.

The following explanation is from www.auditmypc.com/process/wmiexe.asp

"The wmiexe.exe process will attempt to detect when a plug-and-play device is plugged into your computer, and automatically load the appropriate drivers required to run the device. This process is required for your computer to work correctly and so should not be terminated. wmiexe.exe is flagged as a system process and does not appear to be a security risk. However, removing Windows management instrumentation may adversly impact your system.The Process Server database currently registers wmiexe.exe to Microsoft.This is part of Microsoft Windows."

Thanks georg.

As it's name indicate, it is the core component of the Windows Management Instrumentation. It should go into the system dir I think.

I am pretty sure you don't need WMI on your laptop anyway.

It's not needed on any computer IMO.

Can I ask what you are using WMI for ?

Eidenk, I don't know what its being used for. I just know that at start up, a message was appearing. The message said the required file was missing in startup. When I downloaded the WMI file and placed it in the Windows system folder, another message began to come up. This other message says the WMI file is linked to missing NTDLL.DLLRtIEnterCritical(?).

I am baffled. There must be a program on my laptop (in start up) that requires it but I cannot figure out what program.

Edited by marebear7282

Well this is certainly hapenning because you have new program at startup that requires WMI, which is not native to Win98.

As for the file you did download, it is for XP or 2000 systems.

There is a WMI package for Win98 to be downloaded somewhere at Microsoft but if I was you I would first try to know why you need to load this file suddenly.

WMI is included by default in WinME, which I am using, but it is a component I have removed from the OS long time ago and I have no problems with plug and play devices whatsoever.

I have lost the MS hardware info tool because MS has tied it to WMI in ME but that's not a problem because there are enough excellent and free alternatives to that.

The thing is it seems that WMI can be used to access machines remotely.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa389290.aspx

Edited by eidenk

Eidenk, that's a good question. Good question. After reading that question I checked the properties of this WMI file. It is for Windows 2000, not Windows 98SE. Also, my laptop is a Toshiba Tecra 8000 if that makes any difference. I think I will do what you suggest and poke around more to see what program could be using this file.

And georg, thank you. If I can't find the program I will go into one of those cabs, copy it and place it in the system folder to see if that makes a difference.

Edited by marebear7282

Resolved!

I took a bit of each of your advice, georg and Eidenk, and the problem was solved. I checked and found out that (as Eidenk suggested) the WMICORE.DLL file I downloaded was for another version of Windows. Then I extracted the WMICORE file from the Win98_44.cab and pasted it into the system folder and rebooted my laptop twice (just to make sure). The message no longer shows up. Thank you both so much. :thumbup

I didn't know those files were included in the 98 CD.

By native I meant that those files don't get installed in a normal Win98 SE setup as far as I can remember.

Maybe you are happy to have sorted the problem but you still don't know why you do need those wmi files suddenly.

You say you cannot find out which startup program requires it.

So that possibly you haven't looked properly and have missed the new item or one of your startup programs has been replaced by some malware.

A few months ago, two of my startup programs (Scan Registry (scanregw.exe) and the Quicktime task scheduler (qttask.exe) got replaced by something that's now recognized by virus scanners as Agent.AWF for example.

Reply to carebear: Your kind comments are much appreciated.

Reply to eidenk: My opinion is that you are correct that WMI services are not vital. In the spirit of inquiry, however, I offer some data:

NTDLL.DLL is used by MSGSRV32.EXE, DDHELP.EXE, EXPLORER.EXE and SYSTRAY.EXE

WMIEXE.EXE Process Information :

Type : 32-bit

Priority : Normal

Usage : 4

Threads : 3

Started by: SYSTRAY.EXE

Thread 0xFFFB646D : Priority Normal

Thread 0xFFFB7341 : Priority Normal

Thread 0xFFFBAC09 : Priority Normal

Associated Module : WMIEXE.EXE (Memory Occupation : 16 KB)

Associated Module : WMICORE.DLL (Memory Occupation : 56 KB)

Associated Module : RPCRT4.DLL (Memory Occupation : 328 KB)

Associated Module : USER32.DLL (Memory Occupation : 68 KB)

Associated Module : GDI32.DLL (Memory Occupation : 152 KB)

Associated Module : ADVAPI32.DLL (Memory Occupation : 64 KB)

Associated Module : MSVCRT.DLL (Memory Occupation : 280 KB)

Associated Module : KERNEL32.DLL (Memory Occupation : 460 KB)

Memory Occupation : 1424 KB on 1574 MB

A quote from a 2000 article in Smart Computing mag on Win98SE: "...run Microsoft System Information (Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information.) On the MS-info screen, in the left pane, double-click Software Environment, then Running Tasks. That'll show you a list of background tasks, including some not in the task list. Generally, these are things you shouldn't shut down. (Some of these things include Kernel32.dll, Mstask.exe, and Wmiexe.exe.)"

Googling wmiexe +systray yielded 113,000 hits. In amongst the hijackthis logs and file listings are many posts by people who feel wmiexe and/or systray slows a 98SE system. I use headphones, and find the Volume Control utility useful. Some say PNP devices are affected, including firewire and webcams, but it isn't always clear what the OS is, and I am unable to tie WMI services to specific devices on my machines. wmiexe is always running in the background on 98SE and it is not on the 98 machine with SP1. There are no normally connected USB devices on the 98 machine, and it does not run Volume Control, but if I turn off VC on the SE machine, wmiexe is still started.

eidenk,

The only program that I've noticed used that on 98 was McAfee AntiSpyware 2006. Windows Management Instruction is available from the Add/Remove Windows Components applet. McAfee used it to monitor msconfigs startup list and would inform if a program attempted to change anything in there.

Funny, but I usually install that in 98SE. There are newer versions but I saw a Microsoft KB that said the version on 98SE is the proper, bug fixed one that should be installed on it. 98 Gold came with it too, but they recommended downloading the updated version for it.

MDGx has a whole set of WMI versions for the various Windows versions on his site.

Unless there's a need from a specific program, like that McAfee one which won't install without it being there, I don't really see a need for it either. It's just one of those things that I've seen referred to here and there. I always installed it just in case it would prove useful to something. I figured there's got to be some reason it's available. Stupid maybe but then sometimes I just install some things without complete understanding. Especially if they come with the cd.

Eck, there has been a couple of threads already in which people wondered if and why they should install WMI on Win98. Some install it, apparently for the sake of completeness.

I found a page that describes quite well what it is and what is does :

WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) is Microsoft's implementation of the DMTF (Desktop Management Task Force) standard of WBEM (Web Based Enterprise Management).

What is it? Well, it is another (!) MS standard way to access monitor and manage Windows systems, allowing a standard access method to collect performance and operational information.

http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/wmi.htm

marebear7282 needs it suddenly and does not know why. I am afraid it is needed, to upload data, by a trojan he caught on his machine through an IE or Outlook security hole.

Hmm, I think I was referring to Web Based Enterprise Management then. That's what McAfee Anti-Spyware 2006 said was required.

Actually I don't believe I have ever purposely installed WMI myself. So if I had it then it likely was installed by some program that included it.

I suppose I didn't have it after all. Only the Web Based Enterprise Management that is installed from the Windows 98SE cd if you do it from Add/Remove Windows Components.