Make 2003 think its XP?

weEvil

I need to make 2003 think its windows XP. I have apps that "require" XP to run. They check the system they are installed on and refuse to complete instalation. A few drivers do this too.

I have 2003 R2 Corporate runnig.

I tried the Windows X conversion... but it has no effect. WGA keeps telling me to activate at logon.

Apparantely its a problem with winlogon.exe on Corporate. Works with all other versions of 2003, I tried it. But I need coprorate.

Has anybody modified the platform identifier manually? If you can't post it, could someone PM me with a link?

I know there was a program called TweakNT and it allowed you to switch between versions. Is that what you are looking for?

I just want something that change the OS identifier.

So instead of saying windows 5.2.XXX it says 5.1.XXX so I can install drivers and software that wants to run on 5.1.XXX exclusivelly. Or something like that.

I'll try TweakNT. Maybe it can do that.

You could probably do it in the registry by altering the specific key as I'm pretty sure that's where the system gets the info, but I've never done myself. Running in compatibility mode is a better idea because some programs just won't run well on 2003 Server. I run server and while it soes come up once in a while, for the most part it's not an issue. If a program won't load or run in compatibility mode it will eventually cause problems on your machine.

I have tried the apps on the 180 day trial of server. The non-corporate version. I changed it using Windows X's conversion tool. It makes 2003 like XP. Changes OS identifier also. All the apps work perfectly fine.

It has problems with Corporate edition which is what I am currently using. So I would like to know how to do it manually or with another tool.

Woot! Now you got my hopes up. Someone PM me a link.

:thumbup

edit: NVM. Apparantelly modifyng os identifier on Corporate Server messes with the "licence" and thus it locks you out of the system.

Guess I'm just gonna have to use Standard Edition then.

Edited by brucevangeorge

Thank you very much for your help.

I will try TweakNT or Windows X's application on a new install of Server 2003 Standard Edition. Supposedly there are issues with Corporate/Enterprise when modifying the OS identifier.

Thanks for your help though. Appreciate it.

Thank you very much for your help.

I will try TweakNT or Windows X's application on a new install of Server 2003 Standard Edition. Supposedly there are issues with Corporate/Enterprise when modifying the OS identifier.

Thanks for your help though. Appreciate it.

Yes, if you use either xpconvert or TweakNT or NTSwitch to change the platform ID of any VLK edition of Windows XP or 2k3, it will cause a problem. It's easily circumvented, but like TweakNT, discussion of the method and any tools required is frowned upon. It can be done, but honestly, you will still run into a few apps that will give you grief as your OS is still server 2003. At least with xpconvert, it leaves it so the OS is still detected as server. Most of the apps I've had trouble with will either install in compatibility mode or in the case of msi installers, a droped row in the launch conditions using orca or qwerty.msi will get around it. I'm not sure about TweakNT as it's been many years since I've messed around with it.