Windows Home Server

Yonah

Why did microsoft suddenly decide to make WHS though I mean all it is is Server 2003 "dummied" Down? What could be their Plan..........

No, it's a custom 2003 install that is running a custom version of Data Protection Manager - and it's meant only for backup duties and streaming media. It's not meant to be an overall "server", it's a role-based server - a backup and media server. The plan is to sell copies of software to home users, and hopefully home users will find this useful in protecting their data. Obviously it's not meant at the hardcore users, or people who do only email and some basic surfing - it's primarily designed for those inbetween, either SOHO or SMB (smaller than would need an SBS server) to handle backup duties. The streaming media portion of it really pushes it into the retail home user space though, rather than the small SMB market.

This OS is more designed for someone like me...

I've been trying to figure out the best backup solution for my stuff, and this is it... Leave the computer on all day and let it backup at night, or perform manual backups... I'm also seriously considering moving my entire Media Storage location to the server, though I'll have to be careful since it formats the drives :crazy: .... The idea of being able to just stream media from a central location is great, but they need to improve their media component more for me to use it like that.... Right now its just an expensive backup solution....

Biggest gripe? Doesn't backup x64 based OSes...

the problem i have at this verry moment is that it writes litterally gigabytes of logs to the QSM logs location..

which makes it hard to run any program at all, even the console refuses to run because it only has 4MB free space left,

i have to reboot into save mode, delete the logs, and start over..

it complains about my drive having issues, but the drive works like a charm!

the problem i have at this verry moment is that it writes litterally gigabytes of logs to the QSM logs location..

which makes it hard to run any program at all, even the console refuses to run because it only has 4MB free space left,

Sounds like you should file a bug :)

Sounds like you should file a bug :)

actually, WHS forsaw the disaster...

one of my HD's broke down :(

tho now it messed up totally because it keeps giving error messages "file handle invalid"

i think its because it mixed both my HD's to form one partition

Could be - file handle invalid means a process has a handle to a file that is either no longer there, or has moved and the handle table wasn't updated. I'd say replace the failed drive and reboot, but you probably will need to restore the data from a backup (or re-backup the data on the client machines to recreate the backup store).

i am wondering, has anyone tried installing the whs msi packages in the whs folder (which is in the root of the cd/dvd) on a windows version other then the one it comes with?

i'm gonna try this tonight, to see if i can make it work with windows 2000

------------------

i have done the following,

i copied the INSTALL directory from the cd to the root of my hd, ran setup_cmd, and rebooted.

everything went ok untill it complained that it couldnt change the update redirector due to some classes error :S

i disabled my internet connection, rebooted again, and then it continued untill it wants to install the desktop search module, which fails because i am using the wrong windows version :S

does anyone know how to solve this?

------------------

i also think i solved this by downloading the xp version of WDS and renaming it, i have to recompl;ie the cd though, and since im not at home, i cant yet..

but ill post here if it worked :)

Edited by Yonah

You can use Orca to edit the .msi file and let it install on any OS.... Someone got it to install on VistaX64, but it wont let them log in... Probably because x64 talks differently... :(

do you know how he got it to install?

i seem to be unable to install it, it just refuses to run :S

• 2 weeks later...
i am wondering, has anyone tried installing the whs msi packages in the whs folder (which is in the root of the cd/dvd) on a windows version other then the one it comes with?

i'm gonna try this tonight, to see if i can make it work with windows 2000

I've had some success installing on 2003 server but It still needs the DVD. I'm still working on getting the installer to work completely from my hard drive so I can install WHS through RIS. My goal is to be able install WHS on a Dell PowerVault 715N.

I've had some success installing on 2003 server but It still needs the DVD. I'm still working on getting the installer to work completely from my hard drive so I can install WHS through RIS. My goal is to be able install WHS on a Dell PowerVault 715N.

Greetings,

I have documented in Part 2 of my guide how to perform a manual installation of WHS, how to use nLite on it, and how to generate new installation media. I believe it might help you reach your goals faster. http://nliteos.com/oemguide2.html and the forum topic is in my signature.

• 2 months later...

I just recently started looking at this OS and it looks great especially in a house with 7 pcs and 2 laptops. I see the noted prices on the pre-built systems but what types of systems are you guys running your beta copies on? (CPU and Memory)

To bad it seems the beta doors are closed as I like to try a copy out prior to buying, guess I'll wait till end of Sept to grab a pre-built system. Anyone know when the retail copy of the OS is for sale and expected prices?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi XPerties,

I installed Beta2 on an old PIII 500 w/ 512mb RAM.

To test out MS's quoted specs, it ran just fine for almost a month. :rolleyes:

Since then I've been using a 1.8GHz AMD64 w/ 512mb RAM on a ASUS A8V mATX mobo and 500GB Seagate HDD. Both CPT and RC installed and ran almost floorlessly.

[had to download the Win2K3 drivers for the Realtek NIC as the ones on the disk installed but didn't work]

I was intending it use this box with the OEM release, but with the look of the OEM prices in the UK. I might grab a cheap retail box instead. :(

• 1 month later...

Any ideas on a pricetag?

I've been using OpenSuse10.2 as my main server for quite some time, on a cheap PII, 300MHz machine no less.

Personally, I like it and don't think I'll change it for myself, but I do do computer work for many people & many of them believe FREE=UNRELIABLE, so I'd like to have an alternative ready for them.

WHS seems no better than any version of linux, but its automatic backup of new computers sounds like a definate plus. Also, video streaming to XBOX(360) is definately a selling point for people who want that feature.

I'm sure it'll look prettier & be easier for a noob to figure out than most linux distros as well.

For me, FREE=BETTER, but for others, who would like the features that WHS performs, that would obviously not be the case.

Edited by tjhart85