Wireless USB Adapters for 98SE

seskanda

I wanna add a USB wi-fi card to my old P3 system, which has just 2 USB 1.1 ports. I'm ONLY interested in the thumb-size USB adapters (i.e. those ones that are only as big as as a little USB flash memory stick.) I'm willing to spend a max of $50 bucks on this. Here's some i've found:

Belkin Wireless G USB adapter (F5D7050): Says it works in 98SE, Belkin is a good company, right? It goes for $40.

Trendnet TEW-424UB: This says it works in 98SE,too. I've seen bad reviews of this product. Should i skip it?

D-Link DWL-G122: NOT sure if it works with 98SE. My Wireless router is a D-Link DI-524, so this just might fit the bill, but i might have to order it only.

Does anyone know of others? Of course, i'm mainly concerned about performance & stability, rather than speed.

Thanks.

Edited by seskanda

Belkin Wireless G USB adapter (F5D7050): Says it works in 98SE, Belkin is a good company, right? It goes for $40.

From my personal experience, DO NOT get that belkin adaptor. It works in win98se and can be configured for use without the bundled client (after addding the needed config fields through the registry). HOWEVER, this adaptor will fail to function after roughly 24 hours or so and thus require you to unplug then plug it back in each and everytime.

When it fails you will only know when you suddenly lose all ability to ping outside of the adaptor (lose network connectivity). Also to note, that belkin after being plugged in for a time gets exteremely warm (might have stopped functioning due to overheating). Taking off the casing (which comes off very easily) didn't really solve the issue at all.

This caused me to shelf the belkin I have in favor of an older Linksys B Adaptor that isn't a thumbdrive-type. Rather an adaptor connected through a usb cable which has been rock-solid stable for 24/7 use for months at a time. Since then I've lost my faith in belkin adators - used their brand cables for years but thier products in the usb adaptor line has left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Edited by Chozo4

Wow, that Belkin died on you in 24 hours! What a piece of crud. You should have returned for a refund ASAP. It seems 98SE had NOTHING to do with it failing, right? So, in general, are USB 'thumb-size' wi-fi cards NOT good, or is it just Belkin? I'm not very sure on this, because i'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews for the D-Link DWL-G122. I hear it won't work right on 98SE, i think i'm gonna pass this, too. Is this the Linksys USB adapter you're referring to? Looks nice, and has a big USB port on it, too. I just might get it, but it's gonna be tough to find it since it's old. eBay is NOT our friend, btw.

However, i think i've found a solution, but it looks TOO pricey. The Linksys WUSB12 has great reviews about it, unfortunately, most places do NOT sell it for less than $97. It goes for around $58 on eBay, but it already has 7 bidders up for it, so i might as well kiss that one goodbye. I did find it for $54 here with NO tax or shipping :thumbup Is this a good store? They are a "Yahoo! Top Rated Seller." I may have to search at various computer stores and such for other products. But, for now, unless somebody knows of a better route, i'm kinda stuck here.