Windows XP Genuine Issue?

s3pHiX

Hey Guys,

Got an HP Pavilion 552w with MS Windows XP Home I'm working on for a client, and when the system boots up, it's displaying a message about this copy of windows is not Genuine, and ask if you would like to get genuine. I've tried numerous repairs, and other bypass things to try and get around this, but I'm not making any progress with it at all. I was wondering has anyone ever seen this on a name brand PC, that has a legitimate copy of Windows XP loaded on the PC.

Is there a way around this to re-register the copy of XP loaded on the PC??? or what options do I have to resolve this issue for this client????

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

An original HP install should always pass Genuine. Someone might have reinstalled Windows improperly. To check if it has been reinstalled hit Window-Pause/Break and look at the PID. If it looks like #####-OEM-0011903-##### then it is original and there may be a license file damaged. If not then someone has reinstalled it improperly and Genuine finally caught them.

You might need to force a Genuine Check.

If it looks like the 0011903 PID above then a call to Microsoft will accomplish nothing. They never give out activation codes for those keys because they are expected to preactivate.

Other solutions may be found in the Neowin Crosspost.

Edited by severach

I would also go with the route of calling Microsoft. You can provide them with the PID of the current installation, and the key provided with the computer (usually on a sticker on the case somewhere), and they'll be able to sort it out for you.

Has anyone ever considered the fact that the Windows which is installed on the PC is either not the original windows (ie: someone re-installed corp) or not the proper CD key?

You can use Jellybean to see if the registered key matches the one on the COA glued on the machine.

Has anyone ever considered the fact that the Windows which is installed on the PC is either not the original windows (ie: someone re-installed corp) or not the proper CD key?

You can use Jellybean to see if the registered key matches the one on the COA glued on the machine.

I don't know if HP branded computers use the same method for installing XP as Dell computers do, but if so, the number returned by Jelly Bean WILL NOT match the one on the side of the machine, even if it is installed correctly.

I don't know if HP branded computers use the same method for installing XP as Dell computers do, but if so, the number returned by Jelly Bean WILL NOT match the one on the side of the machine, even if it is installed correctly.

And why not?

I've had several customers call me with this same problem.

I can just email them a small (two line) batch file that solves

their immediate problem.

These are the two files to get rid of.

C:\windows\system32\WgaTray.exe

C:\windows\system32\dllcache\WgaTray.exe

You can just do a Windows Search for WgaTray.exe and delete the files found.

I have these two files programmed into my daily cleanup batch file,

so that if WGA sneaks back into my PC, it will be rendered inert on

the next boot-up. I'm legal, but I just don't like having crap like that

on my PC.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43 B)

because of the way dell install their machines, they ghost them or something cause all their keys (if found using jellybean or produkey etc) are the same, regardless of the oem sticker on the pc case

Yeah, Dell OEM CD's contain a winnt.sif file with a different key than the COA printed on the sticker on the side of the computer. The CD key only works with the Dell OEM CD, and will only install on Dell branded boxes in an activated state. I don't know if HP uses the same method or not, but if so, that would tip me off that someone had installed XP on the computer in question with a different CD than the one originally provided with the system.

yeah thats it i remember now, i checked out the winnt.sif and found the same key on a few pcs. Also hp servers have this too, but hp desktops dont seem to use this method as far as i know so, im gonna agree with theflash that its been installed with a different cd :)

Edited by eyeball

HP and many other Royalty OEMs use the same method. The key from a factory install will definitely not match the COA if installed properly. If the key does match the COA then someone has reinstalled the system improperly. While still legal it puts the system at risk of being tagged as non Genuine. I've posted instructions above to check whether the key is original HP or not. If you use the Magical Jellybean Keyfinder you'll also need to know what the correct key is to determine whether it's HP's System Lock Preinstall key or a pirate key.

From the Neowin Crosspost this Microsoft solution may help too.

A message popped up last night in another board and they printed the text of the message. It didn't sound like a Genuine request from a Microsoft program but sounded like a phishing attempt that necessitates a virus or spyware scan. Did the message ask for your credit card which will not be charged?

>These are the two files to get rid of.

I don't like WGA either but deleting the files will fail eventually. Most people want a more permanent solution. As long as you run with Windows Update turned on WGA will be a thorn in your side.