Nerds vs. Geeks

Nerds or geeks?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a...

• Nerd
    • Geek
    • Neither
  2. 2. What do you define a nerd as? Could be multiple. Someone who is...

• focused on/good at technology
    • focused on/good at school related stuff
    • monofocused on something else
    • socially incapable or unpopular
    • A smart geek
    • A dumb geek
  3. 3. What do you define a geek as? Someone who is...

• monofocused on something else
    • socially incapable or unpopular
    • A smart nerd
    • A dumb nerd

We were having a bit of an argument over in the Nerds at School thread about what what is. Now the official poll is here. What are you? What do you define as nerd or geek? Let the battle begin! They're all multiple choice, in case you believe in multiple definitions or are a nerd and a geek. I consider myself a nerd:

• A smart geek

I have a feeling the geeks will win as that's what most people seem to call themselves. What are you?

n3rd :thumbup

[edit] wanted to add I think geeks have lowered their standards. a lot of people are proud to call themselves geeky now, people who know "how to download", use an iPod, cellphones, gadgets, etc. A geek is going to buy an iPod, and nerd is going to hack or build his own. Nerds imo have a deeper appreciation of the technology at work. I've met so called "geeks" who are claim to be "computer experts" yet are still on AOL, blow up their computers, get spyware and viruses, and ask for basic help.

True, I have seen some "geeks" who don't really know what they're doing but think they do. The nerds tend to be less haughty but smarter. Now I don't know everything, in fact, I have a lot to learn, but I don't claim to know how to do something I don't know and I do try to learn as much as possible which is why I'm here (MSFN) a lot - there's lots of smart people who I can learn from. I'd like to learn more about hardware and about Linux. I won't pretend I know a lot about nuts and bolts inside computers but I do try. I don't have an iPod, I don't want one - I don't like overpriced DRM in a white box and if I got one I'd sell it and buy a better MP3-ish player and hack that. I don't ask things that are stupid easy, but if I don't know something, I will ask and learn it. Expert? No. Learning, trying? Yes.

Enough said, I think we're in agreement. ¡VIVA LA NERDULACIÓN!

edit:

Oh! And I "only" blow up my computers when they get old and useless. Just kidding. I would take them somewhere to be recycled or reused or dissect them for parts.

Edited by Idontwantspam

I'm a square, so I would vote neither.

I couldn't vote on a definition for either because I can see a nerd as someone who would wear a pocket protector but wouldn't neccessarily be good at anything.

A geek has always had the connotations of a carny freak who bites the heads of chickens. You can be a chicken decapitator if you want. I won't stop you.

Computer geek and computer nerd have a different meaning to me than they have without the adjective. Both would be more in line with the definitions you guys have given. Mind you, I tend to think of the computer geek being slightly bug eyed and would tend to crane is neck more.

DL

Well I suppose I could have added the prefix computer. But obviously a computer nerd or computer geek is going to be someone intersted/good at computers.

Are you sure you're a square? Do you have 4 sides that are congruent? Do you have 4 right-angles? :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

I am not that good at computers but i surely know more than basics of it. But I try to learn as i see different things which sometimes is not good as "Jack of All trades is master of none". and normally before completing something i move to some other thing.

As per discussion in this poll and related post I would love to be called a Nerd but again I m not all that good.

So I m a geek and would love to be a nerd.

• 2 months later...