Visual Studio 2005 create transform error

Hi all, i've been trying to create a transform for VS2005 to deploy via GPO.

I run:

D:\setup\setup.exe /CreateTransform c:\vs2005.mst

All seems to go well, but at the end i get the following:

Setup Failed.

Use the following links to research the source of the failure:

There were errors during setup.

Although the components were installed successfully, some setup errors were detected.

View error log

For information on known setup issues, see the Microsoft Visual Studio readme file, readme.htm, located at the root of the installation source.

For Knowledge Base articles on Visual Studio setup issues and solutions, see KB article 319714, HOW TO: Troubleshoot Visual Studio .NET Installation, at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...B;EN-US;Q319714.

To find help from other Visual Studio users, try the following newsgroups:

Visual Studio Setup

Microsoft Product Support

For details about this setup failure, see the setup log files.

And the mst file is not created :realmad:

Has anyone experienced this problem? (i'm trying to avoid posting the setup.log because it's huge.)

PS:I selected full install, and the serial was pre populated.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I had this problem, and ended up discovering that it was because I was trying to run setup.exe direct from a CD, rather than from a local (or network) copy of the CD. It appears that you have to be able to write to the location where setup.exe is run from in order for the /CreateTransform switch to work.

Once I copied the contents of the CD to the hard drive (and un-set the 'Read Only' attribute if it gets set in the process), then the transform creation process worked fine for me. Have emailed Aaron Stebner at Microsoft to let him know about this, so he might post this to his blog at some point.

By the way, I didn't find this out on my own - was tipped off by misterd's post at AppDeploy (under the 'Notes' section, under 'Gotchas').

Hope this helps!

Edited by Minkus