Modern motherboards which are working with Windows 98 (discussion)

@rloew

<You need my SATA Patch to use ESDI_506.PDR with the SATA Controller.>

Yesterday I did a fresh install of Windows 98SE on a MSI 870S-G54 (AM3) using your SATA patch.

Installation was very fast and smooth. However, when I shutdown Windows, it hung and I had to

use the power button to complete. Shutdown,restart,warm restart, and shutdown to DOS all hung.

I knew from previous non-fresh installs that USB2 was causing the problem, so I installed NUSB35.

That fixed the problem and gave me USB2 support. In an earlier post you mentioned WinME modified

drivers. Why are they needed? What can go wrong?

Edited by petekeller

• 1 month later...

I have a HP Pavilion p6000. Is it at all possible to install 98 on this machine? I read about some sata patch but the guy says "You need my sata patch" but never leave a link or tell where to get it.

The specs on my computer are:

Athlon X2 220

8Gb ram

ATI Radeon HD 4200 (I know there arent win 98 drivers for this)

I really wish that computer manufacturers would tell what motherboard it had.. Looked the mobo over but see nothing.

Thanks!

Edited by Win98

I have a HP Pavilion p6000. Is it at all possible to install 98 on this machine? I read about some sata patch but the guy says "You need my sata patch" but never leave a link or tell where to get it.

The specs on my computer are:

Athlon X2 220

8Gb ram

ATI Radeon HD 4200 (I know there arent win 98 drivers for this)

I really wish that computer manufacturers would tell what motherboard it had.. Looked the mobo over but see nothing.

Thanks!

The SATA Patch is on my website http://rloew1.no-ip.com

Edited by rloew

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!

The SATA Patch is on my website http://rloew1.no-ip.com

Haha, it's really good you have solutions for windows 98, but (and remember it's just MY opinion, so no offense) $100 is way too much for unofficial things.

It would make me buy a modern Windows system instead, if I needed that functionality so badly.

Haha, it's really good you have solutions for windows 98, but (and remember it's just MY opinion, so no offense) $100 is way too much for unofficial things.

It would make me buy a modern Windows system instead, if I needed that functionality so badly.

That's for rloew's TERABYTE PLUS PACKAGE with the whole nine yards and then some. The listing for the SATA patch by itself is here.

• 1 month later...

Recently got my hands on a used Aopen XCcube EZ65 "shoebox" computer.

Motherboard ID: 10/15/2003-Springdale-G-6A79AAB9C-00

Motherboard Name UX4SG-1394 (EZ65)

Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

EZ65 R1.1 Oct.15.2003 AOpen Inc.

Besides being able to run Win98SE M/B has integrated CD audio player on BIOS

• hit INS key during BOOT

Did a complete, successful, fresh, and easy install of Win98SE 4.10.2222 A w/o errors.

Then I loaded each of the device drivers in this order:

1. Chipset
  2. VGA
  3. Audio
  4. USB
  5. LAN

All drivers from AOpen site loaded fine.

Then installed an AGP add-on card (V7100Pro64)

• All web searches say V7100Pro64 does not support W98SE.
  • The card is actually nVidia NV11 GeForce2 MX-400.
  • Found drivers and card works fine.

Max System Bus = 800Mhz (according to manual)

Max FSB Clock = 200Mhz (according to manual)

Max CPU Core Freq = 3200Mhz (according to manual)

Intel Pentium-4 478-pin CPU (Celeron 2.4Ghz installed) - (Faster CPU is possible?)

Intel 865 Chipset + ICH5

2Gb DDR266/333/400 max - 2 slots (1Gb installed)

AGP 8X slot

1 @ PCI slot

3.5" floppy capable (installed)

2 @ PATA (ATA33/66/100)

2 @ SATA

1 @ Integrated SVGA (EZ18 has 2 @ connectors)

PS/2 keyboard & mouse

Parallel printer port (DB25)

Serial port (DB9)

Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit LAN (RJ-45) 10/100/1000

3 @ IEEE 1394 (Firewire) Interface ports (2 Front, 1 Rear)

RCA coax port (EZ18 has S-Video)

S/PDIF (fibre optic TOSLINK connectors) IN (Rear) OUT (Front)

AC'97 Codec & H/W supports 5.1 channel sound output

(includes front & rear stereo + subwoofer capability)

AOpen site still offers drivers:

(in "select a product" box search for "XC Cube" and in "select a Model" box search for "EZ65")

• BIOS
  • VGA
  • M/B chipset
  • 1Gb LAN
  • audio
  • USB2.0

Also Quick Installation Guide and complete manual in PDF format.

Will be installing Win98SE-SP3.3 & NUSB3.6 on test hard drive soon.

Best CPU you can install is P4 Extreme Edition, 3.4GHz but it is extremely expensive considering what it is. I have a 3.2GHz prescott in my machine. Got for like 7usd from ebay. EE goes for 150usd+

Depending upon your BIOS settings, and if the machine starts with a company logo or "flash screen" when you first turn it on, there should be a M/B "signature line" along the bottom of the screen when the BIOS version is being displayed. An example is from my post just above, like this: 10/15/2003-Springdale-G-6A79AAB9C-00.

Use that signature line to do a search for specific M/B information, such as O/S compatibility, driver files, support information, etc. I've even been able to find information for quite a few boards that otherwise would have been very difficult to locate.

Best CPU you can install is P4 Extreme Edition, 3.4GHz but it is extremely expensive considering what it is. I have a 3.2GHz prescott in my machine. Got for like 7usd from ebay. EE goes for 150usd+

Thanks, TmEE. I'll start looking around for those CPU's.

Will be installing Win98SE-SP3.3 & NUSB3.6 on test hard drive soon.

If you install SP 3.3, you don't need to install NUSB 3.6.

All you have to do is follow the USB 2.0 notice which lists the instructions.

Thank you, PROBLEMCHYLD.

I found a P-4 3.4 Ghz, 800 SB, 512 Cache chip (not EE) at a local surplus computer place. I'll install it after I've finished upgrading and testing my O/S to SP3.4.

Thanks again, TmEE.

Edited by Laser98IX

• 1 month later...

Hi,

on the HW-Compat-Page we have the P965-chipset. I've seen no such board in this discussion (maybe i overlooked one?).

So, there is this ASRock board P5D-DE, with this P965 chipset, PCI-E only, DDR2, SATA2, etc., which can still be bought. There is no offficial Driver-Support from ASRock for W98SE.

What would i have to expect from such board regarding W98SE? Waste of time/money?

Ragnar G.D.

There's no official driver and xrayer's driver doesn't support intel chipsets G/P/Q965 and ICH8. It's your risk to buy this board. You can check it out and tell us your results.

I looked in the manual of P5B-DE (P5D-DE not found): AMI Bios, Storage Configuration: It's possible to set the compatible mode for legacy OS (4 devices).

Edited by schwups

There's no official driver and xrayer's driver doesn't support intel chipsets G/P/Q965 and ICH8. It's your risk to buy this board. You can check it out and tell us your results.

I looked in the manual of P5B-DE (P5D-DE not found): AMI Bios, Storage Configuration: It's possible to set the compatible mode for legacy OS (4 devices).

@schwups: Thanks for your advice - I'd rather spend that money on something else.

P.S.: Still, then, *why* is that chipset mentioned as "supported", if there is no known board listed, anyway? I wonder...

Ragnar G.D.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I tried to check Motherboard Gigabyte ga-P35-DQ6 (ICH9 chipset). Unfortunately it died :blink: during testing. It went into an endless recurring restarting loop, like xrayer had experienced with the Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G (Post 189) - random?. The graphics card was a Nvidia 7900GS and the CPU an Intel Celeron 430. I rewrote xrayers driver (inf files) for ICH10 to ICH 9. Also I wanted to test the original inf files for 2K/XP. I changed the signature "WINDOWS NT" to "CHICAGO".

What worked until the mobo died:

The Win ME USB 2.0 driver

Graphics card - driver 82.69 with added 7900GS

Lan Realtek 8169 PCI card

What didn't:

- ICH9 Family PCI Express Root Ports (Device Manager - yellow exclamation marks) and hence LAN onboard Realtek. I'm not sure about the three exclamation marks, where they were. Device status message was something like two PCI.VXD bustypes existing (Code 2).

- Serial ATA Storage Controllers and Gigabyte SATA2 controller (10 devices).

Primary and Secondary IDE controller (single fifo) had yellow exclamation marks.

There isn't an option in BIOS to set compatible (four devices). I set them all to

IDE mode.

The PATA HDD was switched in the DOS compatibility mode, as was expected.

(- Onboard sound set to disabled => no driver)

Before I could restore the registry to get rid of the DOS compatibility mode, the board died.

OS Win ME :hello:

Edited by schwups