Modern motherboards which are working with Windows 98 (discussion)

Dear all,

Thank you for all your kind replies.

I bough a Sparkle NVidia Geforce 8600GTS 256MB PCI-E Graphics card and I tried to install it on my Windows 98SE. The graphics card was on the list of the DEV_ID included the modified 82.69 drivers posted in this topic.

The only problem I get is that I can now only go to safe mode if I have these drivers installed. In normal mode I get a "Windows Protection Error - You need to restart your computer" black screen and the windows locks doesn't even enter on the GUI. Since this card is supported also as the 6xxx and 7xxxx are by this specific driver

Is there anything I can do to make it work correctly on my machine under Windows 98SE? (If I remove the drivers I can enter Windows normally)

Thank you in advance for your kind help,

With the best regards,

Rfsapiens.

Any GeForce card, PCIe or AGP, from 6xxx or 7xxx Series, with 256MB. I recommend 6600 and up.

If you intend to dual-boot with WIndows 7 and up, these are the only cards still supported with the GeForce Legacy Driver 309.08.

Otherwise, 5xxx isn't worth the trouble, ATI 9700 Pro or ATI 9800 Pro with 256MB can be used if laying around, but GeForce 6600' beat them hands down.

Don't use the setup.exe, just use the "have disk" method directly on the device.

Edited by ragnargd

I'm looking for a decent motherboard that will somewhat support Windows 98, even if I have to have addon sound and video, that's not a problem. The one catch is that I'm looking for a board that uses Award software for the BIOS. Does anyone know anything besides Gigabyte that uses AwardBIOS and is at least somewhat fairly recent, like in the last 7-10 years? I don't mind using Pentium D or even early Core 2 processors either. Anybody have any suggestions?

I'm looking for a decent motherboard that will somewhat support Windows 98, even if I have to have addon sound and video, that's not a problem. The one catch is that I'm looking for a board that uses Award software for the BIOS. Does anyone know anything besides Gigabyte that uses AwardBIOS and is at least somewhat fairly recent, like in the last 7-10 years? I don't mind using Pentium D or even early Core 2 processors either. Anybody have any suggestions?

Are you looking to build a system just for 98, or are you looking to build a multiboot system that can be used for other things on later operating systems? Makes a lot of difference as to hardware choice, because if you want one strictly for 98, then I would recommend say, board x. But if you want a "higher performance" system for XP as well on the same machine, I would recommend board y. I'm in the process of experimenting with Windows 9x on post-9x supported boards, but unfortunately I don't have a lot of success to report so far. Whatever you do, do not attempt to use an Intel-branded board later than the D875PBZ. Some third-party boards based on Intel 9xx and later chipsets have possibilites, but not those built directly by Intel.

Also, Intel or AMD, or does it matter? I don't have much experience with AMD since the good old K6-2 Super Socket 7 days.

Are you looking to build a system just for 98, or are you looking to build a multiboot system that can be used for other things on later operating systems? Makes a lot of difference as to hardware choice, because if you want one strictly for 98, then I would recommend say, board x. But if you want a "higher performance" system for XP as well on the same machine, I would recommend board y. I'm in the process of experimenting with Windows 9x on post-9x supported boards, but unfortunately I don't have a lot of success to report so far. Whatever you do, do not attempt to use an Intel-branded board later than the D875PBZ. Some third-party boards based on Intel 9xx and later chipsets have possibilites, but not those built directly by Intel.

Also, Intel or AMD, or does it matter? I don't have much experience with AMD since the good old K6-2 Super Socket 7 days.

I'm pretty much looking to just have a single boot system with Windows 98 on it. I do have a few AMD Athlon 62 X2 processors laying around, but not many, I have more higher end Intel processors that I can use in something so I have more choices with Intel than with AMD. And something with four RAM slots rather than two would be sweet as well since I have the Rloew RAM patch.

Why restricting yourself to Award BIOS?

If you wouldn't I'd recommend the A8V Deluxe I am using for Athlon 64 CPU. It's got full 98-ME driver support and plays nice with 512MB 7xxx nVidia cards (at least XFX 7800 GS and XFX 7950 GT). Only caveat is that with RAM above 3GB you get (sometimes, often or always, depending on BIOS version) "USB undercurrent" issues preventing it from booting. And capacitors tends to blow after a while but this is a plague that affects all mobos of that era I guess.

I'm pretty much looking to just have a single boot system with Windows 98 on it. I do have a few AMD Athlon 62 X2 processors laying around, but not many, I have more higher end Intel processors that I can use in something so I have more choices with Intel than with AMD. And something with four RAM slots rather than two would be sweet as well since I have the Rloew RAM patch.

Are your Intel processors Socket 478 or Socket 775?

If you have good Socket 478 processors, I would recommend boards based on the Intel 865/875 chipsets, because virtually all of these come with full complements of Windows 98SE drivers and are known to be very stable and powerful.

Examples:

Intel D875PBZ

Intel D865PERL

MSI 875P Neo

MSI 865P Neo2 (and other similar models)

DFI Lanparty 875 (various models)

SOYO P4-I875P Dragon 2 (these are my favorite but rather hard to find and prone to capacitor plague)

If you have Socket 775's, there are a small handful of boards based on the 865/875 chipsets as well, but they are rare and usually only support an 800MHz Bus chip (i.e. no Core2 or later).

In order to use a later Socket 775 chip you may need to look at 9xx or later chipset boards. Right now I am experimenting with some of these.

Examples:

MSI 865PE Neo3-F

DFI Lanparty 875P-T

MSI 965P Neo (still experimenting)

MSI 975X Platinum (the one I have has strange issues, waiting for another one to rule out hardware probs)

Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 (shows promise so far, still experimenting)

Gigabyte GA-G1975X (ordered one of these, still waiting on it)

If you want to go with AMD the only board I am familiar with that doesn't have some oddities is the Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939.

I know everyone's experiences and opinions are different, but I have never seen a board made by Asus that was worth anything. I also prefer Award BIOS.

Some developments have come up with regard to 512MB video cards. It looks as if only certain models are actually reporting 512MB and able to access it. Others may be limited to 256MB regardless of their actual onboard RAM. rloew can elaborate further on this.

Since we're on this subject, does anyone know of a video benchmarking utility that runs on Windows 98 and can be used to test Video RAM above 256MB?

EDIT: Moved my question to a new topic.

Edited by LoneCrusader

Hmmmm - Mine's a PCHIPS (see the Greater Than 1GB RAM topic) and has a Socket 775. It's a VIA P4M800 chipset. Win98 likes Via and vice-versa. I have yet to install Win98 on my eMachine Socket 775 (Intel-only) and I'm still learning about my spanky new (used) Asus P5K-VM board (OMG! Socket 775 Core 2 Duo 4gb RAM). Doubting the Asus will work (has G31/G33) but I *will* try ennyhoo.

On Toms Hardware in the german forums, in a thread from 2009, FormatC claims he has produced working INFs for P35/ICH9 by instructions on msfn.org.

He also claims he got a GeForce6800GT PCIe with 512MB running like a charm on that board.

http://www.tomshardware.de/foren/240926-26-suche-windows-treiber-chipsatz

I will contact him, although i doubt he can still remember what he did, and how, back in 2009... you never know, though, he is some competent technician...

On Toms Hardware in the german forums, in a thread from 2009, FormatC claims he has produced working INFs for P35/ICH9 by instructions on msfn.org.

He also claims he got a GeForce6800GT PCIe with 512MB running like a charm on that board.

I will contact him, although i doubt he can still remember what he did, and how, back in 2009... you never know, though, he is some competent technician...

What do you need him to tell you that is not already available here? :whistle:

You can use my INF's for ICH6/7/8/9 and you already know about the NVidia 82.69 driver. Whether or not the 512MB card works or not depends on many factors, but all 7xxx cards can work with the driver provided other conditions are favorable. There are some idiosyncrasies with getting the cards to work, but many of them are directly motherboard related and therefore system and configuration dependent.

What do you need him to tell you that is not already available here? :whistle:

[...]

Perhaps the motherboard and GPU names? So i could see if i can buy them on ebay to experiment on it? :hello:

None the less, he already answered: It took five months for him (he is still a bit upset :-), driver and GPU was given to him by NVidia directly.

No data available anymore, as was to be expected, its a long time ago.

Ok, i can see my open chassis from here, let's just do it... :yes: