Modern motherboards which are working with Windows 98 (discussion)

• 3 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Norby Droid said:

Is it possible to run Win 98 on older 64bit systems with sata drives?

Definitely. I do it all the time. You probably will need my SATA Patch depending upon the available BIOS settings.

Great.  I have an old HP Pavilion s7600e (Possibly s7600n) that I find quite slow runnin XP even though it came with XP.  Do ya know if that would be 98 compatible?

Where can I get the SATA patch?

Edited by Norby Droid

• 1 month later...

To start, you'll most certainly need to use a high capacity hard drive patch to utilize the full 160GBs of hard drive space which separate partitions will not fix and also the RAM patch in order to utilize that much RAM, otherwise your system will crash with an ironic out of memory error. But once you get through all those roadblocks, KernelEx will certainly be usable and although Jumper is working very hard on the project, it's nowhere near as good as blackwingcat's Windows 2000 KernelEx simply because Windows 98 doesn't work the same way as 2000 due to lack of instructions and other necessary components. But as I said, after you meet the above criteria, there's very little reason why it shouldn't work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hopefully this is the right forum for my post...

I had to upgrade my motherboard, and after reading ragnargd's terrific post on AM3+ chipset's I bought Asrock 880GM-LE (880g/sb710) with AMD II X2 250/DDR3 1066. I was especially interested in this board because of legacy ports, I needed a parallel port for my personal "HP laserjet 4 plus still alive campaign" (1993/duplex!). Except for onboard video/sound and ACPI/APM this board seems to be compatible with win98SE.

Some details you may like:

- Onboard Sata in ide-mode, only ports 5 and 6 are working, just as ragnargd described. Only compatible with ESDI_506 after setup /p i

- USB1-drivers from win98se-cd are already working. USB2 works great with NUSB (even with NUSB 3.6)

- Onboard LAN works okay with real mode driver RTGND.DOS (not with RTMND.DOS)

- Geforce 6700 XL (PCI-E) works great, shutdown problems (despite use of shutdownpatcher) ceased away after forcing installation of 77.72 driver (monitor resolution 1920x1200)

- To avoid out of memory errors go for "DEVICE=HIMEMX /MAX=1048576" instead of HIMEM.SYS in CONFIG.SYS

- When using real mode driver rtgnd.dos set "MaxPhysPage=38DFF" in SYSTEM.INI

- Asrock lists only 880GM-LE/FX, with Google you can find the old 880GM-LE pages

Edited by deomsh
correcting typing failures

• 2 months later...

Note for 775i65g: On ASRock Homepage, only rev. 3.0 shows compatibility for Wolfdale, but only up to E7300 (M0-Stepping)

see: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/775i65G R3.0/?cat=CPU

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors#.22Wolfdale-3M.22_.2845_nm.2C_1066_MT.2Fs.29

On rev 2.0, the effect of BIOS v. 3.30 is not documentated, but only Conroe CPUs have beed added up to v. 3.20

see: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/775i65G R2.0/#BIOS

I can see things going on pctreiber.net, but can't access this from my momentary PC... ;)

Edited by ragnargd

• 1 month later...

ah~ I love this thread i am in need of a new mobo that works with win me, FreeDOS + Soundblaster live!, at least 4 pci slots, ps/2 ports, pata (2 is better than 1), and a floppy controller. The floppy controller is like most required. any mother boards fit this? I am ok with getting a used but working one ^^ <3

meeee12bdc80115ae351c8dfe5cf2c3d1f7a7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...