Modern motherboards which are working with Windows 98 (discussion)

I do not see any problem with MS DOS and all MBO which are supporting "our" Windows.

Windows 98 have been created around MS DOS 7.0 and when you go to Windows 98 shutdown your options are:

*Shutdown

*Restart

*Go to DOS (to MS DOS 7.0)

You can even download MS DOS 7.0 image and create MS DOS 7.0 CD

• 3 weeks later...

ORRRRR... Edit msdos.sys

BootGUI=0

Which is how I set it, alright, to go into windows I have to type "WIN" (Until I had the mobo replaced with one that doesnt have a Win9x vid driver)

To tell you truth I do not understand problem ?

If problem is need to write WIN for Windows 98 start then more or less everything is OK

This is not normal but it will work. I am telling you this from my friend old experience which has worked in similar way with Windows 95.

For information about problems of your MBO and Windows 98 you need to write MBO information

:whistle: Should we start a new "Topic -which states which Older MoBo's(motherboards)still also "Work" with newer updates and fixes being used almost 10 years later?*As i personnally have "5"Running 1999-2000 MoBo's as of this day...with 1 major upgraded MicronMillenia2000 with256mbRam/500mhz-PIII..... :thumbup as the largest and newest! :rolleyes: Just a thought..... :hello: Edited by thydreamwalker

I do not see point in this because:

All intel chipset until i875 (and this) are supporting Windows 98 SE

All Nvidia chipsets until nvidia3 (and this) are supporting Windows 98 SE

All old Via and SiS chipset (and greatest part of new) are supporting Windows 98 SE

• 4 weeks later...

:hello: Hello there people, After years of trying and failing to install w98 on this Dell of mine, I've just decided to buy a new PC but don't know any successful combination :) (gfx. snd, Proc, ram, mobo, etc). I read the first page of this thread topic and somewhere, I read "VIA and SIS" being the nice people... however I'm pretty much new to "New stuff of 2008"

Can anyone give me name/model of things I've to buy from outside which is 9x+XP+VIST+Hackintosh compatible??? :D

Thanks in advance :D

EDIT:

I remember making W98 install 25 mb with all drivers installed and running at super speed! :( I didn't see this since AGES! I'm really missing this low energy super pc setting :( can't take it anymore after seeing vista :(

Edited by lama

It is not possible to find MBO which will have sound in Windows 98 and Windows Vista.

Now if this is not problem there is number of MBO which will work under Windows 98, Windows XP and Windows Vista. Greatest problems is that MBO producers are refusing to give drivers so you need to go on web sites of chipset producers. If this is not problem I will write few MBO:

MSI K9VGM-V is integrated AM2 MBO.

AsRock AM2NF3-VSTA is AM2 MBO. It is classis AGP MBO. If you buy AGP card this must be Nvidia 6x00 or ATI 9x00 because only this are having official Windows 98 drivers. You need to look if ATI 9x00 cards support Vista ?

AsRock 4CoreDX90-VSTA is integrated socket LGA 775 MBO (Intel).

Gigabyte VM900 is integrated socket LGA 775 MBO.

Windows 98 SE drivers for any of this MBO must be downloaded from Via site. If user want clean, without problem instalation it is better to use ATA hard drive (not SATA)

Integrated solution are "modern" and AGP are old and they rarely support Vista (only which support is AsRock AM2NF3-VSTA). This integrated solution are giving only Microsoft Windows® Vista™ Basic support but better of this is not possible (if you want Windows 98)

Main problems with new motherboards it HD audio.

I tried some ways to install HD driver into 98SE but without any success.

Does somebody know something new!?

I've got two sound cards (Live! and Audigy2 ZS) I know Live! is 100% compatible PCI... and onboard can be disabled in BIOS? right?

Main problems with new motherboards it HD audio.

I tried some ways to install HD driver into 98SE but without any success.

Does somebody know something new!?

I've got two sound cards (Live! and Audigy2 ZS) I know Live! is 100% compatible PCI... and onboard can be disabled in BIOS? right?

I do not know any sound card which is good enough for Windows 98 and Vista !

Maybe my thinking is wrong but if you want sound card which will work in Windows 98 and Windows Vista you need to look for non official drivers. Somebody has writen on this site links for Nvidia non official drivers and you need to look for that site.

With little luck you will find on that site all drivers for Nvidia MBO (together with sound drivers)

Installed Win98SE on a Asus M2V-MX SE. Used the drivers from VIA and billtod's suggested usb drivers. Even Via's video driver worked.

Asus has a great site. I would have used them but their Apple II server is VERY SLOW. Never know when your computer is locked or just slow site.

Works good, very fast, no crashes. Device manager has an unknown flagged- probably sound or lan. edit:Cool and Quiet for both yellows.

One conflict with ACPI using the same memory address as "motherboard resources". Another forum thread suggests the memory bytes or bits is the bios at post , so it doesnt conflict.

http://forums.techarena.in/troubleshoot-98/686808.htm :whistle:

Edited by malmal

If user want clean, without problem instalation it is better to use ATA hard drive (not SATA)

Please explain that statement.

In my experience, getting SATA to work on a fresh win-98 install (on an Asrock motherboard) was easier than doing the same with XP.

There was basically nothing special to be done. After installation, win-98 will be running in compatibility mode until you run the Via Arena driver install. The great thing about using SATA drives in NON-IDE compatibility mode is that you can use drives larger than 137 gb.

If user want clean, without problem instalation it is better to use ATA hard drive (not SATA)

Please explain that statement.

In my experience, getting SATA to work on a fresh win-98 install (on an Asrock motherboard) was easier than doing the same with XP.

There was basically nothing special to be done. After installation, win-98 will be running in compatibility mode until you run the Via Arena driver install. The great thing about using SATA drives in NON-IDE compatibility mode is that you can use drives larger than 137 gb.

Yeah but do you mean installing the OS on a SATA drive (which what you quote is about I think) or do you mean installing on an IDE drive and setting up SATA afterwards (which is indeed no problems) ?

In my thinking you need to read 10 May discussion between me and Tonich (page 6), but short version is:

1) User need to "play" with BIOS for Windows 98 SE instalation on SATA drive

2) There is few MBO which are not having Windows 98 SE SATA driver (example Foxconn 671)

Yeah but do you mean installing the OS on a SATA drive (which what you quote is about I think) or do you mean installing on an IDE drive and setting up SATA afterwards (which is indeed no problems) ?

Well, for one thing, IDE = PATA.

When you say "installing (win-98) on an IDE drive and setting up SATA afterwards", do you mean installing win-98 on an IDE (PATA) drive, and then *cloning* the image to a SATA drive?

Because (otherwise) you can't wave a magic wand and turn an IDE/PATA drive into a SATA drive.

And yes, I do mean installing win-98 directly onto a SATA drive.

There is only ONE thing to watch: In the bios, RAID must be turned on. This prevents the SATA drive from appearing as an ordinary IDE drive to win-98 when it's installing itself. Windows will use compatibility mode (BIOS int 13) to access the drive, instead of ESDI_506.PDR.

After windows has finished installing itself, and after you've installed the chipset driver specific to the motherboard in question, the SATA-RAID hardware will appear in device manager as a SCSI adapter.

Note that in this case the drive is not really being used in RAID mode. It's just that it's being accessed through the motherboard's raid controller.

You can't really run any sort of raid given only 1 physical hard drive anyways.