Modern motherboards which are working with Windows 98 (discussion)

Normally you would need to select the SATA Operation Mode as IDE mode...

But on your board you will need to select RAID mode (IDE Configuration, SATA Operation Mode=RAID)

Ah, you see, that's what confused me. I thought RAID and IDE are two different technologies, how would RAID mode somehow emulate IDE?

Here's the technical reference information from ASRock: http://www.asrock.com/support/qa/TSDQA-31.pdf

See question 3, answer a.

How does Windows 98 even support RAID?? Do i have to setup a RAID array? Or can i leave the drive as JBOD :blink:

Did someone tried to install win98 on moder intel P45 (P48)/ICH10 mobo?

They claimed this boards doesn't support w98 but we know that sometimes it works iven if it officially shouldn't...

I don't have access to such new HW but if someone else could and have time to try it would helpfull.

Currently there are still available mobos with intel P31 (i'm not sue about P35) which can run w98.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to buy mobo asrock 4core dual-sata2 r2.0, p4 631, 2G DDR2 to install w98se/xpsp2.

For video i have asus v952o-128m(nvidia fx520).Would be any problems with drivers for:

-video;

-usb;

LAN ? Any helpful recommandation.Thank you!

geo.

I want to buy mobo asrock 4core dual-sata2 r2.0, p4 631, 2G DDR2 to install w98se/xpsp2.

For video i have asus v952o-128m(nvidia fx520).Would be any problems with drivers for:

-video;

-usb;

LAN ? Any helpful recommandation.Thank you!

geo.

It is possible to download Chipset or Platform driver Drivers (current) for this MBO from Via site, but......

If you want to use official drivers for any video card you must use AGP cards. It is possible to download Windows 98 drivers for number of PCIE cards, but this drivers are made in somebody home and not in any company.

Similat to that you will need to download patch (you can find links in this forum) for 2 GB, because Windows 98 can work with max 1 GB.

Hi,

I would like help to build a machine with Asrock 775i65G, if someone use or know this motherboard,

please, if possible, help me.

At this time, I purchased the motherboard, cooler Apack ZEROtherm CF900, and the graphic card Ati Radeon 9800 XT.

Someone know which is the most powerfull processor for this motherboard?

I pretend to use a quad core Kentsfield, if possible.

I read something that this motherboard needs a very good memory to use a quad core.

Someone know which is the best memory for this use?

Thank you very much.

Hello!

Someone know which is the most powerfull processor for this motherboard?

I pretend to use a quad core Kentsfield, if possible.

If your mb is revision 2.0 than you can put in Q6700(G0).

The latest BIOS 3.20 must be installed to recognize it properly:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=775i65G%20R2.0

FSB1066-CPU is supported by overclocking only when you adopt an external VGA card and DDR400 CL2.5 memory modules.

http://forums.hexus.net/scan-care-hexus/99...-time-post.html

http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=53582

Regards, Roman

Edited by modicr

The PC I built recently:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k167/halohalox/775.jpg

GA-8I865PE775-G-RH(4.9) does not support 45nm Core 2 CPU, so I can't get Vcore value in BIOS.

Fortunately, with BIOS FE I can change multiplier by CrystalCPUID.

When I created the partition on 640GB HDD, the % method failed and FDISK only recognized 100GB below, then I use FreeDOS FDISK1.3.1 and SPFDisk 2000-03t instead.

I also failed to Format HDD on SATA port at both PATA emulation mode and SATA mode, but I solved it by adding an SATA-PATA adapter card to PATA port, then I removed the card after formatting.

Just like before, I never solved the NDIS.vxd related error on Realtek Gigabit Ethernet NIC(8110S and 8110SC), so I gave up and use the old USB 2.0 adapter instead.

Both Catalyst 5.9 and 6.2 are necessary during installation for old X800pro AGP.

Edited by halohalo

• 1 month later...

Possible to switch on the fly integrated graphic card with AGP card? I use now 775i65g and I want to buy new powercolor agp HD4xxx series... but no drivers for win9x... but if is possible to switch integrated and agp card... I can use integrated with win98 and agp with winxp!

In theory it is possible. All in all I am not 100 % sure, but I can't imagine reasons against this solution if you will "kill" card in Windows 98 !

More interesting problem is about VGA (or DVI) out toward monitor. Will you change VGA (or DVI) cable every time when you change OS or you are having 2 monitors and first will be for Windows 98 and second for XP ?

In the end my proposition for you is to take nvidia card which is having unofficial drivers for Windows 98 SE. It is better solution if everything will be OK :)

About this unofficial drivers it is possible to read:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128328

Thanks for help halohalo I have not thinked about this (BIOS)

This is taken from another forum:

when you put the card in the slot, the selections in the BIOS change. A selection in Integrated Periferals appears between Init First and AGP Auto Calibration called: AGP VGA Selection. It allows you to boot with either the onboard VGA or the AGP VGA when a VGA adapter is in the AGP slot. When AGP is selected (default) the System Share Memory Size disappears and all the memory that was reserved for onboard VGA is released

VGA is disabled automatically when you put a card in the AGP and BIOS selections change.

Maybe this will be my another mistake, but in my thinking point is if you will use integrated and card in AGP slot you will need to play with BIOS (if this is possible) everytime when you are going between Win 98 and Win XP

In the end my proposition for you is to take nvidia card which is having unofficial drivers for Windows 98 SE. It is better solution if everything will be OK :)

About this unofficial drivers it is possible to read:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128328

Ok... but not new Geforce AGP in future... I have also GA-P31-DS3L with pci-e but give me error "motherboard resources". Last but not least Geforce use much power consumption that Radeon!

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to install Windows 98 on a PCI-e (non-AGP) motherboard but use a PCI (not PCI-e) video card?

There's some reasonably capable PCI cards still on the market. They won't run the latest games at awesome framerates, but they should still do the job on older titles with some of the eye candy turned off.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently upgraded my KT400A Asrock board to another Asrock: 4CoreDual-SATA2 rev2.0 and attempted to install 98SE using an agp 7600GT, 2 gig of DDR and then 4 gig of DDR2 (both from GSkill and using an unofficial 1.14a pc-treiber bios), E7400 cpu, and sata drives for storage and optical, with a small ide for swapfile and browser cache. 98se installed just fine so long as certain parameters are met. In BIOS, the sata drives need to be set to RAID mode, and jumpered to SATAI (150). Otherwise, you'll get degraded drive compatibility mode. Anything using InstallShield will go very slow and will mostly likely lockup unless those steps are taken. This was especially true for the VIA 4in1 package. For sound, you will need an aftermarket card, as the onboard RealTek ALC662 is only for XP and higher. The VIA drivers (523A) for the P880 were just a bit flaky, with Falcon Storage only for W2K and higher. That was largely worked around by jumpering the sata drive. Preloading esdi_506.pdr, and using W98IOPAT.EXE alongside HIMEM.EXE (for the high memory issues), everything started to run pretty smooth.

Be careful with your memory selections if you use this board. DDR2 voltages are 2.0/1.9/1.8 while DDR are 2.7/2.6/2.5. Those values are not given, being High, Normal and Low. Try to match the Low vdimm to allow you a little bit of overhead for tolerances. My GSkill DDR2 are rated at 1.8-1.9 but run best at 1.9. VIA's ndism 114A installed from the XP\X86 directory works just fine for the network drivers. No 98SE drivers are offered on the motherboard's install cd. Other quirks of this board have been fairly explored at AnandTech's forums here.

The dealbreaker for me was SATAI and no onboard sound, since my Audigy SE (P17 chip) is incompatible with 98se. I didn't want to have to jumper my primary drive whenever I switched between XP and 98se, and was loathe to run XP in half-speed mode. Seeing how I mainly wanted to attempt a 98se install for my Dark Engine games, the nosound was just a bit too hard to swallow.

For clarity, I used UBCD 98SE (which required my 98se .cab files), MDGx's unofficial NV8629, VIA's 523A driverpack, and Sophoric's Autopatchers from Dec07 (294meg) and Dec08 (45meg). The Autopatchers pretty much caught anything UBCD missed. Plus, UBCD has a fair selection of post-install goodies. If the regular driver install methods fail, update them through the Device Manager.

For further reference, the 4CoreDual-SATA2 has 2 IDE, 2 SATA, one 10/100 Full Duplex NIC, and 6 USB, as well as front panel headers for USB and Sound, though I don't think the HD sound will be possible. There is also a PCI-E graphics port with 1x-4x speed, but again there may be issues under 98SE.

Hope this helps.

Edited by faxfane