Modern motherboards which are working with Windows 98 (discussion)

On 5/11/2020 at 9:56 AM, AnX said:

I’ve recently been trying to install windows 98 se on a dell precision t5810 I picked up, just out of curiosity. So the install goes how you would expect it - except for the fact that once you install the NUSB drivers all of the USB ports stop getting recognized by windows 98. My question, is there a fix for this that doesn’t involve adding in another pci(e) card? (It does have a pci slot). The system has an intel c610/x99 chipset for reference.

Do you mean that you have NO USB ports at all from the beginning, or you DO have them BEFORE you install NUSB?

AFAIK the X99 chipset boards do not have USB1 controllers, only USB2/USB3. This can lead to a situation where USBD.SYS is not copied to \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS during installation. The USB2 drivers depend on it, but do not force it to be copied, expecting it to already be there because of the USB1 install routine. Try copying USBD.SYS to the correct location if it isn't there (but I think NUSB does that anyway... :unsure:)

On 5/11/2020 at 12:47 PM, Goodmaneuver said:

The latest NUSB has a WinME file and installing a previous version of NUSB might fix this as the ME file may need  accompanying ME files.

VIA USB driver files for Win9x should have suffix 11 which are the latest ones and are required for some game controllers. I need these for the USB steering wheel and USB hand held game controller. The updated drivers are also best in a general sense as the original WinME divers only accessed up to 32GB.

The latest VIA USB divers are contained in VIA_USB2.0_v2.7.zip. Link https://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/1210/

If the latest NUSB, using a WinME file, required another WinME file, don't you think it would have been included? :wacko:

Why would you install a VIA hardware-specific USB2 driver on a system that (as far as we know, and most likely, being Intel-chipset-based) does not have a VIA USB2 controller? :rolleyes:

>>If the latest NUSB, using a WinME file, required another WinME file, don't you think it would have been included?

The issue the later NUSB driver created by adding a WinME file although being mild ( I think ), might have been because of other ME files may be required to go with this file. I do not know what the issue is now, it was just a suggestion. 

>>Why would you install a VIA hardware-specific USB2 driver on a system that (as far as we know, and most likely, being Intel-chipset-based) does not have a VIA USB2 controller?

These USB files are generic I think USBEHCI.sys 4.90.3000.11 VIA; USBHUB20.sys 4.90.3000.11 VIA.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

• 5 months later...
On 5/27/2020 at 1:16 AM, Carlos S. M. said:

I recently got Windows 98 SE installed and working on a Gigabyte GA-EP41-UD3L (Intel G41, ICH7)

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600
4 GB DDR2 800
nVidia Geforce 7800 GTX with modded nvidia 81.98
120 GB HDD
Realtek 8111C/D (works)

Realtek ALC888 (doesn't work)

pic: https://imgur.com/a/OJZf7Yk

Carlos isn't a regular here to reply to PMs.

Does anyone know what chipset drivers are needed for P41/G41/G31 chipset family for Win98 and if they allow USB to work also? I have a G33M-S2 (PCIE + 2 PCI slots) so GF-7600 PCIE plus SB Live and either PCI LAN or PCI USB card?

1 hour ago, Methanoid said:

Carlos isn't a regular here to reply to PMs.

Does anyone know what chipset drivers are needed for P41/G41/G31 chipset family for Win98 and if they allow USB to work also? I have a G33M-S2 (PCIE + 2 PCI slots) so GF-7600 PCIE plus SB Live and either PCI LAN or PCI USB card?

Sorry for the late reply, i'm not very active here

LoneCrusader's Intel INFs package for chipset

NUSB for USB

LAN, i used Realtek PCIe Win98 drivers for my board (GA-EP41-UD3L)

Nvidia - either 82.69 or 81.98 + inf edit

10 hours ago, Carlos S. M. said:

Sorry for the late reply, i'm not very active here

LoneCrusader's Intel INFs package for chipset

NUSB for USB

LAN, i used Realtek PCIe Win98 drivers for my board (GA-EP41-UD3L)

Nvidia - either 82.69 or 81.98 + inf edit

Thanks.. I'm also same LAN chipset ;-)   And Onboard USB works? If so then all i need add is my SB Live...  My 7600 will run with either driver set :-D

• 4 months later...

hi. Here i am with a ECS g41 chipset from the lga775 series motheboards. The instalation needed the hotfix off the edit in the system.ini for traspass the problem of de minimun and maximum ram, classic on win98se

The OS run flawless on a core 2 duo 8400 (3ghz) and 4gb of ddr3 ram. I used a HDD and DVD IDE drives. i add a generic usb sound card because the realtek chip has not suported drivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0malYGhJz_0

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-28 at 12.36.26.jpeg

pd: sory for my bad english, i am from argentina

Edited by Jugate

Well, not bad, you will still need to patch io.sys for working Safe mode with 512+ RAM.

Otherwise you can got up to X58,X79 with working Dos (Win98 one and pure DOS) sounds, because these board are last with DMA sound magic in chipset needed for DOS..

Otherwise there is not limit for Win98 sound only.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ulaptg9pd7pzb9q/2017-08-20 03.40.07-5960X-Win98.jpg?dl=0 

Edited by ruthan

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Just installed Windows 98 SE on MSI P43 Neo3-F.

Works fine.

--EDIT--

Installed from Windows 98 SE OEM CD in an IDE DVD-RW to a 120GB SATA SSD.

Note: This motherboard has both JMicron JMB363 SATA/IDE and ICH10 SATA ports built in.

SATA SSD was plugged in to JMicron JMB363 SATA port, not sure if it would matter if it was plugged into the ICH10 SATA ports, haven't tried yet. ICH10 SATA controller was disabled to free up system resources.

Had to use RLoew's SATA patch after first reboot from Windows 98 CD DOS mode.

--EDIT 2--

Sorry, didn't read the first post. I followed a link here from the list of windows 98 compatible motherboards.

There are no windows 98 drivers for this board, except the JMicron JMB363 SATA (supposedly, haven't tested yet), which is apparently a requirement for this thread.

My bad.

Edited by Jimbo7136

You can try RLoew's AHCI driver: https://archive.org/details/ahci_win9x and plug the SSD directly to Intel's SATA ports, disable JMicron controller, and set the SATA mode to Enhanced.

There's no need to look for any specific SATA controllers anymore, any SATA controller will work with this driver using Enhanced AHCI mode (not Compable/IDE).

Just install Win9x like normal, it will boot up in DOS-compatible disk access mode, in which you install the AHCI driver, reboot and you're all good.

19 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

You can try RLoew's AHCI driver: https://archive.org/details/ahci_win9x and plug the SSD directly to Intel's SATA ports, disable JMicron controller, and set the SATA mode to Enhanced.

There's no need to look for any specific SATA controllers anymore, any SATA controller will work with this driver using Enhanced AHCI mode (not Compable/IDE).

Just install Win9x like normal, it will boot up in DOS-compatible disk access mode, in which you install the AHCI driver, reboot and you're all good.

Thanks! I'll do that.

• 10 months later...