Rjecina

Modern motherboards which are working with Windows 98 (discussion)

383 posts in this topic

Add to the list:

ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0

ASRock 890FX Deluxe5

See my post "Research on AM3+ board and chipsets: Resume" for more details...

Is it possible to run Win 98 on older 64bit systems with sata drives?

1 hour ago, Norby Droid said:

Is it possible to run Win 98 on older 64bit systems with sata drives?

Definitely. I do it all the time. You probably will need my SATA Patch depending upon the available BIOS settings.

Posted (edited)

Great.  I have an old HP Pavilion s7600e (Possibly s7600n) that I find quite slow runnin XP even though it came with XP.  Do ya know if that would be 98 compatible?

Where can I get the SATA patch?

Edited by Norby Droid

10 minutes ago, Norby Droid said:

Where can I get the SATA patch?

Here. But you cannot get it, you must acquire it, in case you really want it.

My grandma own 98 se cd which is older than me.

I wish to put it on a Xeon 3.0ghz (p4 times) with 4gbddr2 and 128gb ssd + 160 Hdd. can i use 98se on it with kernelex?

To start, you'll most certainly need to use a high capacity hard drive patch to utilize the full 160GBs of hard drive space which separate partitions will not fix and also the RAM patch in order to utilize that much RAM, otherwise your system will crash with an ironic out of memory error. But once you get through all those roadblocks, KernelEx will certainly be usable and although Jumper is working very hard on the project, it's nowhere near as good as blackwingcat's Windows 2000 KernelEx simply because Windows 98 doesn't work the same way as 2000 due to lack of instructions and other necessary components. But as I said, after you meet the above criteria, there's very little reason why it shouldn't work.

How much do you think I should pay for one of those Asrock 4CoreDual-Sata2 mobos? I want to build a Windows 98 gaming build that runs cool and destroys any 3D game. (I'd be getting a Nvidia 6800 GPU I guess?) Stuff like Jedi Knight, Quake, Interstate 76, stuff that like. Im not too concerned at all about DOS games. (Before my time.)  Im purely looking to play the weird Windows 98 only titles. So basically looking for as modern as possible parts.  Theres one on ebay atm, but 160 feels like waaaay too much for just a little side project. Am I wrong about that?

Edited by donhonk