Rjecina

Modern motherboards which are working with Windows 98 (discussion)

395 posts in this topic

On Wednesday, September 07, 2016 at 6:15 AM, Dibya said:

My grandma own 98 se cd which is older than me.

I wish to put it on a Xeon 3.0ghz (p4 times) with 4gbddr2 and 128gb ssd + 160 Hdd. can i use 98se on it with kernelex?

I can help you with this.  Can you tell me how many Dimm slots on your MB and each Ram module capacity?

If it is 4 slots 1GB each then remove 3 x 1GB and leave 1GB but you will have to tweak system.ini file.  If you have a 512MB that is the best one memory stick to put it and remove the rest.

The 128GB SSD could work but you will have to remove the 160GB HD.  I corrupted my 160GB back then because of the 137GB or 128GB actual limit corrupts the drive when full.  I don't recommend anything higher than 128GB.  The safest with less headaches is 60/64GB hard drive as 98 DOS and Windows tools have no problems functioning.

Edited by 98SE

Thanks  I have 4 1gb ddr2 memory 

I will try after I will be back in home.

My Patches can support the full memory and the 160GB Hard Drive.

On 17/06/2017 at 7:04 PM, rloew said:

My Patches can support the full memory and the 160GB Hard Drive.

I have a 4TB disk that I want to use on win98se.  With your patch will it work as one 4TB partition.

If I boot to realmode DOS 7.1 I was surprised it shows 2TB disk and 4GB of ram (8GB is installed). I have tested these regions of memory and disk and verified checksums ,  there is no corruption under dos 7.1.

For a 4TB Hard Drive you need my Terabyte Plus Package.

If your 4TB Drive is USB, it probably can be partitioned as one 4TB Partition.
If not, it will have to be split into 2 2TB Partiitons.
I have an experimental setup that overcomes this limit but is complicated to setup.

DOS would never see 4GiB or more of RAM or 2TiB of Disk. The Terabyte Plus Package provides access to larger Disks in DOS and Windows 98SE.

My 64-Bit RAMDisk can be used in DOS to take advantage of the remainder of the 8GiB of RAM.