Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Rjecina

Modern motherboards which are working with Windows 98 (discussion)

I did short test, boot into Dos prompt renamed some file a copied 50MB file is was fine, im even able to boot into safe mode, even there copy file was fine, i removed (purgehdc p a) Sata controller (only 1 is here),
rebooted into normal mode, Sata controller was detected, reboot - c: writing problem - i have 215 MB free on HDD it is i hope enough for just boot..

Does the writing Error appear before the Desktop appears, shortly after, a while later, or do you have to do something to make it happen?

Posted (edited)

Before Desktop appears, but not immediately after windows boot logo i would say that it is in the second part of loading. I will check bootlog.

Update bootlog is quite long, hangs on Sata driver:

[000CFC0F] DEVICEINITSUCCESS   = SPOOLER 
[000CFC0F] DEVICEINIT   = UDF     
[000CFC0F] DEVICEINITSUCCESS   = UDF     
[000CFC0F] DEVICEINIT   = VFAT    
[000CFC0F] DEVICEINITSUCCESS   = VFAT    
[000CFC0F] DEVICEINIT   = VDEF    
[000CFC0F] DEVICEINITSUCCESS   = VDEF    
[000CFC0F] Initing vclone.mpd
[000CFC09] Init Success vclone.mpd
[000CFC09] Initing esdi_506.pdr

Edited by ruthan

Another unexpected Driver. What is VCLONE.MPD?

Try removing/renaming it and ignoring any missing File Warnings.

Another unexpected Driver. What is VCLONE.MPD?

CloneCD virtual driver, tested on other machine, but what about GPT 3TB disc on second Asmedia port, could that be a difference(i know that im writing on different disc, but..), or its entairly ignore, i would how about testing with GPT you did?

Standard GPT disks would be ignored by Windows 9x. Hybrid or my Mixed GPT and MBR disks may not. 

Standard GPT disks would be ignored by Windows 9x. Hybrid or my Mixed GPT and MBR disks may not. 

You are right, i even disconnected GPT disc its same, so patch is simply dont like my Asmedia controller.
  BTW im already in contact with Asrock Bios/uefi team, they were nice enough to implement, per Sata port enable / disable for this board and trying to add hotplug for Asmedia port.. I had some other issues with this board in other OS - in Windows 7 is HDD on Asmedia port marked as removable SCSI device and when i start HWinfo - disc is disconnected to cold powerdown and when i run R-Drive image and scan list of partition i got machine freeze, it could be only Asmedia driver issues..

But i want to say, if you see some way how they should adjust PCI devs settings (scanpci result), write it here or sent it to me by mail, i will try to ask, they are quite open to fixing, its right opposite of my MSI / GB experience with UEFI issues fixing. 

No PCI changes.

It sounds like there are some BIOS and/or Hardware issues with the Asmedia Controller. Hopefully they can fix it.