Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Modern motherboards which are working with Windows 98

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
276 replies to this topic

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Joined 17-September 08

It has a ALC662 for which I could not find a working driver. The latest on Realtek site recognises the chip but driver does not load...

LAN did not even have 2K driver (2K and 98 both use NDIS 5.0 so there's a slim chance of success)

The VESA driver is only good for very basic things, and even then performance is very low, also no support for resolutions like 1680x1050.

Edited by TmEE, 01 October 2013 - 09:52 PM.

Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

glocK_94

glocK_94

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Joined 13-July 06
I currently own an Asrock 4coredual-sata2.

For the record, everything works perfectly with Win98 on it (with the exception of the audio chipset - no win9x drivers AFAIK).
It works fine with 2 graphic cards. Right now, Win98 uses a GeForce 6200 AGP and XP/7 a 460 GTX (for those interested, this gives surprisingly good performance in recent games, assuming the screen and thus, the resolution is not too big).

Here's my problem : I tried to replace the 460 GTX with a 760 GTX. Unfortunatly, It freezes on startup (I get no POST display). It seems the 7xx serie is not compatable with the 4coredual-sata2... which means that 6xx serie is probably not either since they are based on the same chip.

I'm thinking about buying a (used) Asrock 4core1333-GLAN or 4core1600-GLAN. They have P31/G31 + ICH7 chipsets and a Realtek RTL8111B/RTL8111C LAN.

Does anyone have an experience with Win98 on this card ?
Will it support my 760 GTX and a 5200 PCI card for Win9x ?
Traductions fran├žaises des packs & MAJs pour Win98 : Posted Image

Stand up for Windows 9x ! Use a 9x userbar in your sig : Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users