Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Dear Gosh Or Vbs Guru...

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

GeckoPJ

GeckoPJ
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 20-August 03
The .vbs must of got corrupt when I downloaded it, cause I just redownloaded it and now it works just fine.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Geckotek

Geckotek

Slave to M$

• PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Joined 21-June 03

2.  What exactly are you after knowing or doing as far as a description and where?

For example, I'm looking to put a description under the line for Diskkeeper or some of the power toys. Just in case the person using the DVD to install doesn't know what they are and attempts to not install them out of ingnorance as opposed to not really wanting them.

Also, I've been killing the gtaod.exe process right after AOL installs. I'm assuming trying to do that would put a big kink in things?

Edit: I guess I could just make %windir%\pskill.exe gtaod.exe a hidden item....make sense?

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,252 posts
  • Joined 24-September 03
give me a day and I'll add a comment field to the INI.

As far as killing a process I haven't had to do it with any of the installers I normally use, but if you were to macke a CMD file that launched your installed and then the kill process. It should owrk just fine.

I.e. (I don't know the exect command just an example CMD file)

aol.cmd:

start /wait aol.exe /s
killps gtoad.exe

Then in the INI
[AOL]
install=%systemdrive%\install\aol\aol.cmd

The same could be done for programs were you want to put registration info in the registry before install, etc.

I was considering adding an option to install registry file with an application, but dropped it when there seemed to be a lack of interest. If there is interest I will revive the project.

Geckotek

Geckotek

Slave to M$

• PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Joined 21-June 03
Thank you very much. I really appreciate this, this tool is exactly what I was looking for.

Yeah, I'll be kicking off a process that runs all my registry tweaks anyway. I'll be throwing my registration keys in there as well.

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,252 posts
  • Joined 24-September 03
Here are the options I have considered adding (plus Geckoteck's request)

For Main App:
1. Restart - option to restart after installsare complete
2. autostart - automatically starts installations upon launch.
3. delay - seconds to delay before painting IE window.

For application Installs:
1. registry/(before/after) - install a registry file either before or afer install.
2. display order - instead of having them displayed in the order you put them in the INI file they display in the order specified, that way you don't have to move things around to diply in the order you want.
3. postreboot - add to runonce and install after reboot, 0 install now (default)
4. saveinstall - delete installation folder after install, deletes contents of folder and removes folder containing installer listed in INSTALL.
5. processname,wait - Process to kill at end of install, wait in seconds before killing
6. Description - a description line under name or pop up description on mouse over

If anyone has any other suggestions let me know. I'll add the ones above as I have time and post the updates here.

I have also create a VB6 executable that runs without the constraints of IE. Since the current version you can only run after a user profile has been created. I had the need to install some applications during the windows install but wanted some of them to be selectable. If anyone would be interested I'll also post it, it already has some of the above features included.

Shotgun

Shotgun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Joined 07-November 03

I have also create a VB6 executable that runs without the constraints of IE.  Since the current version you can only run after a user profile has been created.  I had the need to install some applications during the windows install but wanted some of them to be selectable.  If anyone would be interested I'll also post it, it already has some of the above features included.

Count me in! :excited:

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,252 posts
  • Joined 24-September 03
I'll create a new thread for INSTALLS.EXE. Since it is in a different development stage than INSTALLS.VBS and uses different options in the INI. It won't be posted until tomorrow when I'm at work. I forgot to bring it home with me.

Geckotek

Geckotek

Slave to M$

• PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Joined 21-June 03
A couple of other thoughts:

1. I have over 30 items being installed....can you make the window larger and/or the fonts or empty spaces smaller?

2. I have several items as hidden. Is there a way to not have a blank space in the grid for them?

3. Since most items are installed silently and do not show any signs of installing, would it be possible to have a progress bar?

4. How about including a script to scan hotfix folders and install the hotfixes? I could just kick off my hotfix script, but just thought it might be easy to include it in this script.

Thanks again. I'm really enjoying this script.

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,252 posts
  • Joined 24-September 03

A couple of other thoughts:

1. I have over 30 items being installed....can you make the window larger and/or the fonts or empty spaces smaller

See the default INI, you can specify the height and width of the window. (Posted default INI just updated 11-15 to include new features) You can change the default font sizes by creating an INSTALL.CSS (cascading style sheet) and placing it in the same directory with the script.

2. I have several items as hidden.  Is there a way to not have a blank space in the grid for them?

I've been working on this but have not come up with a way to do it that everything else continues to work properly. Still working on it.

3. Since most items are installed silently and do not show any signs of installing, would it be possible to have a progress bar?

I had not added this feature to the VBS because until now there had been no interest. The EXE version does have this feature and I will add it to the VBS version in the future. It gets a little tricky.

4. How about including a script to scan hotfix folders and install the hotfixes?  I could just kick off my hotfix script, but just thought it might be easy to include it in this script.

I have thought about this but decided it was easier just to kick off my hotfix installer at the beginning or end of the other installs, depending upon where I was using the script. That way the script didn't get too bloated and complicated.

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,252 posts
  • Joined 24-September 03
The INI settings have been updated in the original post to reflect new additions to the script.
1 - boxdesc - displays a description in the box with the application name
2 - popdesc - displays a description when the mouse stops over the application name
3 - register - installs the specified REG file after performing the installation.

The script has also been updated, here.

Geckotek

Geckotek

Slave to M$

• PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Joined 21-June 03
Cool, I'll try out the changes. Did you post the exe?

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,252 posts
  • Joined 24-September 03
The EXE version has been posted here.