Help with fan configuration

wickerwolf

Hey, Im currently building my new rig and rarther then buy a new case im going to mod the hell out of the one i have which is a XBLADE

First of is the side window which at the moment has a 80mm fan on it, ill be cutting it and putting 1 of these 250mm Fans on there instead. Then on the rear & front ill be putting Enermax ultra's and on the top of the case ill be cutting a hole and placing 1 of these filters along with another Enermax fan on it.

All hooked up to an Alphacool mp

What would be a good setup for the 3 enermax fans? (Eg, front sucker, top sucker, rear - exhaust) ???

you really only need a rear exhaust, a side fan wont help that much either... but i guess u can run that at vry low speed.

you dont want to suck from the top tho, you can exhaust if you want to but from what ive tested and what others have tested, a top fan really doesnt matter.

you really only need a rear exhaust, a side fan wont help that much either... but i guess u can run that at vry low speed.

you dont want to suck from the top tho, you can exhaust if you want to but from what ive tested and what others have tested, a top fan really doesnt matter.

That is the worst mistake that people make. Most often when people have a heat problem in their system, they don't have enough cool air intake. Exhaust will only pull heat away but it won't help cool nearly as well as intake fans.

well im going by computers ive configured for some friends. some cant afford a large budget and a cpu fan + a rear exhaust fan gives very good cooling. if someone is experiences overheating then ya, he would have to figure out how/where to get more air from. maybe its just because of good heatsink, but my friends' comps run pretty cool with no overheating issues so far.

well i really mean the cases, some cases dont support front fans, and if they do, the fans are like 80mm.

but my point is that if the comp already has low temps, then why do you need it? it will only add noise.

well i really mean the cases, some cases dont support front fans, and if they do, the fans are like 80mm.

but my point is that if the comp already has low temps, then why do you need it? it will only add noise.

There are silent 80mm fans available and even if the temps register as low, there is still heat across the motherboard and other components such as hard drives which may not be seen by sensors. A low CFM silent fan is better then no fan any day.

the hdds in this case can have the temp monitored and the fan of the heatsink defiently cools the mobo.

Using a CPU fan to keep your motherboard cool is a bad idea. You're using the hot exhaust of the CPU to cool your motherboard instead of fresh cool air from an intake fan.

As a reply to the original post: The best way for you to find out is to test it.

Just a word of warning - those 250mm fans aren't really all they're cooked up to be. If you're getting a heatsink that has the airflow parallel to the motherboard, the cross-breeze fans (the ones from the side) actually hurt cooling performance more than they help. You'd be better off sealing that side vent and making sure that the airflow can move smoothly from the front to the rear of the case.

Think of your case as a tunnel, with air going from the lower front to the upper rear. The more un-fanned holes you have, the less control you have over where the airflow goes.

"you really only need a rear exhaust, a side fan wont help that much either" Having just a rear exhaust and the CPU cooler is the worst idea ive heard of. (No offence)

The 250mm side fan is working a treat i took it round to a reletive (He's been workign with all things electrical for 50 years, amongst many other things) and he did some tweaking to it.

@Zxian, The 250mm fan is placed so the dead spot of the fan is were the CPU cooler draws its air in from so it doesnt hurt the performance, the CPU cooler (Artic freezer pro 7) then throws its hot air out to the rear exhaust. As any1 knows hot air rises so wether its a little hole in the top of the case or a big hole it all makes a difference. (Unless your rig is overclocked or alot of components/high end parts some people dont notice due to not alot of heat being generated) The Filter grill and 120mm fan on the top are placed more over the 5.25 rack then near the mobo so as any hot air pockets coming from the 4HDD's or the DVD/CD drives gets traped it can be exhausted thru there. I took the front bezel of the case and modded were the fan goes, it was made to take either a 90mm fan or a 120mm fan but bad desgn meant that the fan then had a mesh right in front of it and then another mesh on the front bezel before it got to the cold air. So now the inner mesh has gone and a 120mm fan placed in. All are rigged up to the multi power port and then to a custom control panel which allows me to alter the RPM and switch fans on/of, i fitted an Akasa AK-210 northbridge cooler (The stock northbridge heatsink was useless) and it makes more noise on its own then the 3 enermax ultra's the side fan and the CPU cooler put together!!

Ive got the rig overclocked

Intel core 2 duo E4300 @ 3.34Ghz - idle 25c, load 37c

The large fan will affect airflow throughout the entire case, so yes, it will hurt performance. Just because the large fan doesn't blow directly on it... where does the air come from? You have to think about where the air that flows over this component - where does it come from, where is it going to exhaust, is it going to pass over any other components, is it right behind another fan, so the air is dirty? The 250mm fan will probably hurt performance more than it will help.

People forget - fans work best with smooth airflow at their intake. The more fans you have, the more turbulent the airflow is, and the worse your fans perform.

The large fan will affect airflow throughout the entire case, so yes, it will hurt performance. Just because the large fan doesn't blow directly on it... where does the air come from? You have to think about where the air that flows over this component - where does it come from, where is it going to exhaust, is it going to pass over any other components, is it right behind another fan, so the air is dirty? The 250mm fan will probably hurt performance more than it will help.

People forget - fans work best with smooth airflow at their intake. The more fans you have, the more turbulent the airflow is, and the worse your fans perform.

Airflow has all been planned out already, the dirty air is all taken care of, and the most pass overs any of the air has to do is 2 which is the used air comming out from the CPU heatsink then passing over 3 capacitors (And depending on the brand, and type of caps used they have a thermal rating of upto 85c sometimes a little more) and straight out the rear exhaust. And that is a very very small time space between the air comming out from the CPU heatsink and into the exhaust. Every cable is totaly out of the way wether its a IDE, sata or any other type. Everything big or small has been thought of for the best air flow and getting the key parts of the rig cool and stable under big overclocks.

Edited by wickerwolf

You haven't really listened to my suggestion... I'm saying that your planned airflow will not be as efficient as it could be. I know you want to use that 250mm fan, but doing so will give you worse thermal performance than not using it.

You haven't really listened to my suggestion... I'm saying that your planned airflow will not be as efficient as it could be. I know you want to use that 250mm fan, but doing so will give you worse thermal performance than not using it.

and i agree. i have so much air going thru my comp due to my great airflow, and my fans are on low speed. you need a straight path of air imo. going straight thru with nothing interrupting the flow.