Attachments in Outlook 2003 swap names/content

tomwrz

This is strange issue and there's not much out there on the web about it...may someone here can help.

Randomly, when a user sends an email with multiple attachments, the user on the receiving end will get the email with attachments but...

the names of some or all of the attachments have swapped names with the other attachment within the same email.

Let me give you an example...I can send an email with doc1, doc2, and doc3 attached. The user on the other end will see all three attachments. However, when they open doc1 it is actually doc2...doc2 is actally doc3 or doc1.

What's crazy is that this can even happen with different file extensions...if doc1 is a Word document and pdf1 is an Adobe document they can, and have, switched file names. So when the user opened the Word document, it was actually the PDF and vice versa. Now, if you save the documents and change the extensions, everything is fine.

Like I said, this is completely random and we cannot reproduce the problem with any given user. A user may call with the problem, our Help Desk contacts them and cannot recreate the problem...a couple of days or weeks go by and user may call again.

Personally, I believe that there is an issue on the Exchange side, but I need to do all of the troubleshooting that I can from the client. But hopefully someone has seen this issue and knows of a fix.

Any help will be appreciated.

• 3 months later...

I realize this is a slightly old post but this is the ONLY place I've ever seen this issue mentioned despite myself having the problem for almost a year now. Is there anyone else out there who has encountered this that might know what causes it or a way to fix it (without having to send multiple emails with each attachment :rolleyes:)?

• 1 month later...

I too am here only to bump an older post...

I've seen basically the same behavior on some of our client's computers. The occurences are rare and cannot be reproduced, but happen often enough that I would at least like to find out why it is occuring and wether or not it is something that is happening in message transit or if it is an Outlook problem.

Currently we are using Outlook 2003 and MS Exchange 2003, but this was also occuring while using our legacy Exchange 5.5 server as well.