reg tweak to avoid "Click on the start buton" ballon tip.

Does anybody know which reg key(s) is needed to remove only the "Click on th start button" ballon tip, which comes the first couple of times you boot into Windows after a re-install ?

I have noticed that the following key is made and set to '2' when the ballon tip isn't shown more :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\StartButtonBalloonTip.

The problem is just that i have tried adding this key to a fresh install and i checked that it was set correctly, but then after about 2 boots where the ballon tip wasen't shown, then it suddently came back again at the next boot and then when i checked the registry, then the key was still present and unaltered ?

Thank's in advance.

CU, Martin.

Edited by Martin H

I regularly shut down "Balloon Tips".

Here's the entire tweak for disabling it.

Disabling Balloon Tips

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Current Version \ Explorer \ Advanced

Right click in the right hand pane,,,then select DWord from the menu.

Create a Dword value of EnableBalloonTips and set value to "0" (it will be set to "0" by default)

I hope that helps.

Andromeda43 B)

@jcarle

Ahh, i see :) Thank you so very much, mate :)

@Andromeda43

Thank you for the tip, mate :) Personally, then i'm only interessted in getting rid of the start button type of ballon tips, but nonetheless, i am gratefull for your kind helpfullness :)

Thank's again to the both of you guys. I have searched a lot around the web, but had difficulties finding the key for only disabling the start button tips, but i guess i didn't do my homework good enough ;)

CU, Martin.

If anyone else should be interressted in this tweak also, then i have just tested it out and apparently then the correct value is '2'(dword), since if using '0'(or not making the value at all), then the ballon tip returns upon reboot/log off/on. I have log'ed off/on 4 times now with the '2' value and no ballon tip has popped up, so i guess that i must have remembered wrong when i previously said that it once didn't work for me with that value. I have also tried to test it with a registry monitor to make absolutely sure(RegSnap) and the result was also that after about 3 reboots/logoffs, then Windows sets 'StartButtonBalloonTip' = 'dword' : '2'(before that there originally wheren't defined any 'StartButtonBalloonTip' value at all).

Edited by Martin H

• 1 month later...

why not just use this:

;Remove StartBalloonTip

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"NoSMballoonTip"=dword:00000001

this is the only one that worked for me, none of the other regtweaks about setting 'StartButtonBalloonTip' to 1, 2, 0 has ever worked for me. and as you say, this key doesnt exist at "starters", if you know what I mean(bad english here;) )

• 3 weeks later...

If anybody should be interessted in this, then the correct tweak is :

StartButtonBalloonTip = 2

However, it will not work if importing the tweak from RunOnceEx, Guirunonce or SVCPack.inf etc.

The reason for this is that the tweak only works if being imported after explorer.exe has been fully loaded. A workaround is to instead import the tweak from e.g. HCKU/Runonce which will start after explorer.exe has been fully loaded, if however, another key has been used before that, like e.g. HKLM\RunOnceEx, since if only using HKCU\Runonce without any preceding keys run, then HKCU\Runonce is run before explorer.exe has been fully loaded(dispite popular belief...)

• 2 years later...

I know this is a really old post but it was helpful to me...

The last poster is correct the StartButtonBalloonTip = 2 works for that annoying "Click on the Start Menu..." large Balloon that pops up on new installs/syspreped installs. It will only go away if you click on the start menu while the balloon is up.

Not sure about the above notes regarding the runonce locations etc. I used a different approach.

I deleted the key from HKCU and then ADDED it to HKLM so it would affect all users...

Testing whether the change will hold through sysprep...

Edited by dandirk