Unattended Setup Using Winpe: Mission Impossible?

KvL

Hi all, I've just registered to this forum, I mada a great Unattended Setup For XPSP1 w/ hotfixes :rolleyes: , but now I have aquestion for you all:

How can I make an install using microsoft OPK?? winPE is quite difficult to use and I have'nt found lot documentation like on MSFN.org on WinPE... :/

Can you post links to interresting sites for WinPE Unattended installations?

Thanks

KvL

FROM ITALY!!!!!!! (Sorry for bad english!! :) )

why install from network? i managed to get:

Windows XP Home Sp1 Slipstream and hotfixes automated

Windows XP Pro Corp SP1 Slipstream and hotfixes automated

Microsoft Winpe

Barts PE Version 1.0.1

Barts PE Version 1.0.2

Barts PE Version 1.0.3

Barts PE Version 1.0.4

Barts PE Version 1.0.5

Barts PE Version 1.0.6

ERD Commander 2002

ERD COmmander 2003

O&O Bluecon 4 & XXL

and then i had room to place the 911 rescue cd on as well with complete set of utilites

for those that wonder how its simple winpe is made from your winxp cd and contains more or less all files on your xpcd, erd commander and o&O bluecon are also made from winxp cd so there are a lot of identical files.

just cdimage -o and you get a lot of optimization.

i am playing around with winpe a lot so know many things.

The biggest reason to do it over the network is because it is a nice resource. I am in the process of of making our deployment, and there is a lot of testing and changes, so making a CD for each time is quite an overload. I don't know about you, but I do not need anymore coasters. Besides, with it being on the network, I can control access to it via file and share permissions on the server.

well everybody has diffrent needs here, i have a nice black bin liner of about 20,000 coasters thats just this year alone oh i know about 2,000 are them AOL disks that seem to be flooding in from everywhere lol

Longhorn is based in winpe setup your right

• 5 weeks later...

the idea of using winpe as a diag utility seems sppealing to me, but i dont know if anyone has noticed yet, but most apps dont run in winpe. furthermore, i dont see that there would be enough benefit from spending the time to figure out how to install from it to make the whole thing worth it.

i had to go through hell and high water just to get the pe builder since microsoft twisted barts arm about it, and then had to go through more to get any kind of utils that will run in it.

i just dont see the benefit, however, if anyone has found any information contrary to this, i'm open.

-Voltaic

well everybody has diffrent needs here, i have a nice black bin liner of about 20,000 coasters thats just this year alone oh i know about 2,000 are them AOL disks that seem to be flooding in from everywhere lol

lol i have something like at with M$ eval disks

the idea of using winpe as a diag utility seems sppealing to me, but i dont know if anyone has noticed yet, but most apps dont run in winpe.  furthermore, i dont see that there would be enough benefit from spending the time to figure out how to install from it to make the whole thing worth it.

i had to go through hell and high water just to get the pe builder since microsoft twisted barts arm about it, and then had to go through more to get any kind of utils that will run in it.

i just dont see the benefit, however, if anyone has found any information contrary to this, i'm open.

-Voltaic

A lot of apps i've tried work fine in winpe. All the xp support tools run fine. I've used mozilla and firebird in winpe without any problems. To get a program that has registry entries working, just export the registry key then import it when winpe boots up.

Having a winpe is very useful when your system isn't booting! One of the first steps to troubleshoot nt4 is to do a parallel install. With winpe, you might find your first troubleshooting step is to boot to winpe.

-gosh