Feature Request

bæsj

I am bent on getting rid of WMP but that has some complications:

I have a media player that wont Play WMV files and I have a audio converter that cant convert WMA because im missing some of windows native codecs\runtime libraries\etc.

I was wondering if it was possible to add an option to keep the essential codecs and stuff from WMP but still remove the rest of WMP and its traces.

It would be a great option to the future Nlite versions!

Thanks in advance for changes and positive input!

Perhaps this, Windows Media Lite.

"Some tools (like nLite and XPlite) allow you to remove Windows Media Player from your system or even prevent it from ever being installed. The downside to this is that vital components for Windows Media playback are also removed. As a result you won't be able to play Windows Media files in your browser or in your favorite player. A solution for this problem is Windows Media Lite, which restores those vital components.

Windows Media Lite was specially created for those people who have removed WMP 7/9/10 from Windows XP/2003 using tools like nLite or XPlite, but do want to be able to play and stream Windows Media content. This package is also useful for Windows 2000 users who only have Windows Media Player 6.4 installed.

After installing this package you should be able to play Windows Media content in your browser and also in most players (for example Media Player Classic). Even those websites that normally require WMP9 or higher to be installed."

In addition, in nLite, Options | General -> Misc, there is 'Keep Windows Media Player compatibility'.

Though that is enabled by default, & grayed out, so you couldn't change it if you wanted?

(Unless it grays out when certain out settings are selected?)

It is true. I wasnt aware of that. I checked a clean WinXp cd and the one ive been using. Its still greyed out and enabled, but it isnt working so far. Strange... Hope they fix it in the next build.

Anyway, thanks for that little app, it fixed my problems for now :)

While it does seem like a great idea, and it is, nlite already had that before...reason why I decided to drop it is because everyone is using newer codecs which are not included in the Windows (wmp 10 and 11).

So since we all install newer after install what is the point of keeping the old ones. And of course there were some issues with embedded web video when only codecs kept, needed some more work.

therube, grays out if there is no WMP or it is not selected for removal.