Newer Version .dll files?

whatever420

I still use COMCAT.DLL 5.0.2600.1, but downgraded OLEPRO32.DLL to 5.0.4530.0 after finding some issue with OLEPRO32.DLL 5.0.5014. And regarding OLEAUT32.DLL, I've stopped updating it at 2.40.4520.0. Never found a latter version that really worked OK.

OLEAUT32.DLL 2.40.4522 Windows 2000 SP4 works with no problems on my system. I think maybe you should try it out.

I haven't had any apps break or any popup errors

I'm sorry I wasn't quick enough to react in time but OLEAUT32.DLL v.2.40.4520.0, with PE Timestamp of 12/3/2007, is actually *newer* than v. 2.40.4522.0, which has a PE Timestamp of 06/20/2003 !!! :P

I've discussed it at some lenght here and here.

• 2 weeks later...

This is just a heads up, because I released this tool in the Unattended Win2k forum... :angel

To see the original release post, please do click in the curly arrow in the quotation box header.

<snip> Well, here I am, back to the subject of PETimestamps... <snip>

[i have written] my own application for this, using an unambiguous format for the time and date string, and also presenting the hexadecimal unix time, together with the file name, all this in just one line. And it also supports "*.*", of course! I called it, rather unimaginatively, PETmStp (attached below), and here's hoping it will be as useful as I anticipated it should be. Please do report any bugs found.

PETmStp.7z

The problem with version numbers is MS starts their numbering from arbitrary points... So, while one keeps *only* to files *they* intended for a given OS, version numbers work OK (sort of...). But when we started including files they intended should be used in NT6, Win2K and now WinXP, some numbering lines began to cross. This explanation holds for most cases, but, maybe, not all. :)

The problem with version numbers is MS starts their numbering from arbitrary points... So, while one keeps *only* to files *they* intended for a given OS, version numbers work OK (sort of...). But when we started including files they intended should be used in NT6, Win2K and now WinXP, some numbering lines began to cross. This explanation holds for most cases, but, maybe, not all. :)

I guess that's why HFSLIP goes by date and not by version.

I don't know if I missed any, but I think I have all the latest working updates as of now for SP3.

I'm sure if I continue working on it, I will find more ways to improve it. Thanks again :w00t:

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2 weeks later...

Found 2 more versions. I haven't tested them yet.

OLEAUT32.DLL 2.40.4527.0 (Windows2000-KB886766-v2-x86-ENU.EXE) +V3

OLEAUT32.DLL 2.40.4528.0 (Windows2000-KB139071-x86-ENU.EXE)

those 4527 and 4528 builds of oleaut32.dll file will break some apps on your 98se machine, PROBLEMCHYLD.

just like with what build 4532 from win2k did.

I use the NT4 version of oleaut32.dll file 2.40.4520.0 dated 12/21/2007 which is actually newer than 2.40.4522 dated 6/20/2003.

and here's a shocker about v2.40.4520 of oleaut32.dll! (pay close attention dencorso and PROBLEMCHYLD!)

it's also listed in MS KB article 327177.

BUT version 2.40.4520 of oleaut32.dll in KB327177 is dated 5/31/2002 with a size of 929,792 bytes

while version 2.40.4520 of oleaut32.dll in MS08-008 (946235) is dated 12/21/2007 with a size of 939,144 bytes.

SO, those two oleaut32.dll files that are version 2.40.4520 are NOT binarily identical (hmm, did Microsoft loose track of version numbers there?) confusing, isn't it?

I have the newest working oleaut32.dll file (build 4520) from the MS08-008 security bulletin for Win9x.

Edited by erpdude8

@erpdude8

Unfortunately this seems to be a standard M$ practice... A lot of Win2k udpates (especially HBRs) have got files with same version number as the other ones but the file itself may be different / have different date, etc. A good way to determine which one is really newer is to compare version number first, and then, if they are identical, use xcopy/d to use the newer one (by date). HFSLIP uses xcopy/d only which in my opinion is a very bad method because there are sometimes newer files with older date. That's why I use both - first version compare and then xcopy/d only if the version is identical.

I have the newest working oleaut32.dll file (build 4520) from the MS08-008 security bulletin for Win9x.

This version is already included in the SP. Thanks for being aware, but I believe I have all the latest files included.

And that's why I recommend the PETimestamp, which is difficult to change, as the control date, instead of either of the three dates from the directory entry. Here I described two different oleaut32.dll V. 2.40.4519.0, while here is my tool for reading the PETimestamps.

And this is why I said thank you. If I'm not aware of a new file, then I can't check the PETimestamp.

Thanks again for your tool. I notice it doesn't handle VXD files on WinXP.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Windows ME version of

Windows Management Instrumentation + Web-Based Enterprise Management works on Win98SE.

I wanted to add this version to the SP, but I didn't want people to think it was becoming a replica of 98SE2ME.

dencorso, gave some advice about using newer files because of the newer code.

• 2 months later...