Giving Your Windows Cosmetic Surgery

Ok, so LOGONUI.EXE controls the logon screen. It is in the SYSTEM32 folder. I've tried just putting my new one in the $$/SYSTEM32 folder, but it is protected by WFP. I guess this means I have to pull the DVD out at some point, but I hate that solution.

Any other fancy ideas? I know we have ways of hacking the uxtheme.dll to match the crc value, but that's just one file and there are tons of alternate logonui.exe files. (Guess I could just pick one and figure out how to hack it.......hmmmm.)

you can disable the WFP temporarly !! instead of pulling the DVD :)

and add a batch after your logon gets copied to reactivate the WFP or not active it at all...

Ok, think I got it figured out.....I replaced the sfc.dl_ w/ the hacked version.

I also changed the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

"SFCDisable"=dword:00000002

As I understand it, this will disable it at the next boot (when it usually replaces the file) and automatically enable it on the following boot (did this cuz I don't want other ppl screwing w/ system files later.)

Does this mean if the CD is put in at a later date, WFP will replace that file??

first you need to get the patched sfc_os.dll

I patched mine but dunno if its working

the last setup I tried had so many errors so I quit installing

http://www.MSFN.org/board/index.php?showto...\.dll&st=0

I see your post over there:)

direct link to webmedic's sfc_os.dll http://www.webmedic.net/SFC_OS.DL_

and then follow this

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php?id=790

it also tells you how to patch it if you feel like hex editing:)

Simply modify the "UIHost" value in the registry under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon".

sample reg-file:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]"UIHost"="C:\Windows\Resources\LogonUI\custom.exe"

my bad, i was in a rush...

the post is fixed and quoted.

thnx DPR for pointing that out, not lookin to take credit from anyone.

anyway finished the script and posting here....help from unforgiven1 on the for command

FOR /F "tokens=3 delims=  " %%A IN ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Environment" /v NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS') DO SET NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=%%A

bootcfg /copy /D "Windows XP Professional" /ID 1
if %NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS%==2 goto DUAL
REM ----For Single proc
bootcfg /RAW "/Kernel=OEMKrnl.exe" /A  /ID 2
goto End
:DUAL
REM ----For Multiprocess/Hyperthread proc
bootcfg /RAW "/Kernel=dualKrnl.exe" /A  /ID 2
:End
bootcfg /Timeout 2
bootcfg /Default /ID 2

put it in its seperate batch file, as anything after it won't be run. Call it from wherever, but jsut its own batch, or at the VERY end of one of your last ones

i put it in cmdlines.txt at the end of my user creation but whatever is good.

I make a copy of the initial boot line so incase it doens't work i still have the original to boot from without editing files anymore.

Enjoy

Simply modify the "UIHost" value in the registry under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon".

sample reg-file:

"UIHost"="C:\Windows\Resources\LogonUI\custom.exe"

Perfect! Thanks!

Yeah, very familiar w/ ThemeXP.org, but couldn't find that information....way too much to look through.

thnx DPR for pointing that out, not lookin to take credit from

Never mind ! :)

Yeah, very familiar w/ ThemeXP.org, but couldn't find that information....way too much to look through.

The UIHost value isn't mentioned on "themexp.org". But you'll find a lot of helpful links and a forum on this page.

sample reg-file:

"UIHost"="C:\Windows\Resources\LogonUI\custom.exe"

For the life of me I can't get this to work as a reg file. Is it because I need to double the '\'?

IE:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 

;This will set the LogonUI to an alternate
"UIHost"="C:\\Windows\\Resources\\LogonUI\\logonui.exe"

For the life of me I can't get this to work as a reg file.  Is it because I need to double the '\'?

Yes it's a typo - I simply was too lazy to export the reg key. We need of course "\\" instead of the single backslash ...

BTW: I recommend using a REG_EXPAND_SZ and path variables instead of absolute paths.

For the life of me I can't get this to work as a reg file.  Is it because I need to double the '\'?

Yes it's a typo - I simply was too lazy to export the reg key. We need of course "\\" instead of the single backslash ...

BTW: I recommend using a REG_EXPAND_SZ and path variables instead of absolute paths.

I don't understand the REG_EXPAND_SZ thing.

I guess by path variable you mean:

"UIHost"="%systemdrive%\\Resources\\LogonUI\\custom.exe"