Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

USB _________ (fill in the blank)

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Poll: USB devices (90 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you call them?

1. Voted (USB) Flash drive (47 votes [52.22%])

Percentage of vote: 52.22%

2. (USB) Pen drive (11 votes [12.22%])

Percentage of vote: 12.22%

3. USB-key (10 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. (USB) flash key (2 votes [2.22%])

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

5. Something else (specify) (20 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Joined 25-February 07

Hmmm, "Usb flash drive" appears to be the most "correct" one,
but there are of course exceptions, I guess these:
Pen Drive
USB key
Thumb Drive
USB Stick
can be called differently with no risk of misunderstandings.
:lol:

jaclaz

Welllllll.... I guess those are very literal interpretations of the names. Very good work finding those. :thumbup :lol:

Here, we call it USB Drive (short for USB Flash Drive).

I've heard that before, but I still think USB drive isn't specific enough; as I stated earlier, there are many kinds of USB Drives. None the less, if someone just blurted out "where's my USB drive," I would think flash drive, not a hard drive with a USB connector or something like that.

--------------

It appears that so far, (USB) Flash Drive has won.
-Idontwantspam

What's your home network like?
Windows 7: It does fancy!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

ripken204

ripken204

The Hardware Guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts
  • Joined 23-December 04
im with you Idontwantspam. a usb drive could be almost anything. you could even call a usb floppy drive a usb drive... completely different things tho.

Desktop: || lappped Q6700 w/ lapped TRUE || ASUS P5Q Deluxe|| Sapphire 4870 1GB || Mushkin Ascent XP2-8500 (2x2GB) || 2 x WD6400AAKS || Corsair HX620W || Lian-Li PC-60FB || 2 x BenQ G2400WD || Vista Ultimate 64bit || Samsung SH-S223Q || Logitech MX518 || Logitech Ultra-X || SteelSeries SX || Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 || ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe ||
Server: || E5200 w/ XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 || ASUS P5Q-EM || EVGA 8800GTS G92 w/ Accelero S1 R2 || G.SKILL 6400 2x2GB || 1 x WD6400AAKS || 4 x 1TB Samsung F1 || SeaSonic M12II SS-500GM || Antec Three Hundred || Samsung SH-203BL || Ubuntu 8.10 ||

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Joined 25-February 07

.... a usb drive could be almost anything. you could even call a usb floppy drive a usb drive... completely different things tho.

:yes:
-Idontwantspam

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,408 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Welllllll.... I guess those are very literal interpretations of the names. Very good work finding those. :thumbup :lol:

Yep, the "Thumb Drive" really cracks me up.... I wish I had one of those. :)

jaclaz

Doom1468

Doom1468

• 12 posts
  • Joined 03-March 07
I usually say "Flash Drive", but if I'm lazy, I just say "USB"...

Martin L

Martin L

我叫马丁

• Patrons
  • 2,563 posts
  • Joined 09-July 03
euwhm.... is just USB also good? most of the time people here in NL ask if i have my usb with me, and the other way around too ofcourse, and if they/i mean a usb whatever you can call it, yes they do :)

DL.

DL.

Tweaker or whatever I happen to be focused on at the moment..

• PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Joined 05-March 05
In English I call it “USB flash drive”. In Swedish it’s always just a direct translation of “USB memory”, which is what it’s called in computer magazines and among techies.

Many people here call it (in Swedish) “USB memory stick”, “memory stick”, “USB stick” or simply “the stick” (on the subject of portable data storage, “put it on the stick”). In rare cases it’s called “USB memory card”, because it’s put in the same category as other memory cards in online stores.

FAT64

FAT64

• PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Joined 09-October 04
Just USB memory. B)
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Stoic Joker

Stoic Joker

I Hate Titles

• PipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Joined 16-August 05

"Thumb Drive" here. At least to me, its shape resembles more a thumb than a pen.

Well... At least I'm not the only one that calls it a Thumb Drive.

sk8er_boi

sk8er_boi

I have a headache

• PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Joined 11-December 03
i call them "flash bellek" in turkish. which means flash memory.

lingk

lingk

• 46 posts
  • Joined 22-July 06
I call them either usb-keys or thumb drives, just depends on how i'm feeling that day but most of the time i find my self calling it a thumb drive.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
The answer to life, the universe and everything = 42
--
lame

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Joined 25-February 07

jaclaz

Me too!
-Idontwantspam

[deXter]

[deXter]

The Lord of the Scripts

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Joined 08-May 04

jaclaz

Me too!

Me three! That'll really go well with my "palm top" and "lap top". :)
One Script to rule them all, One Script to find them, One Script to bring them all and in the web bind them

In the Land of The Net where the Hackers lie.

ripken204

ripken204

The Hardware Guy

• 6,311 posts
  • Joined 23-December 04

lol, i dont even use my laptop on top of my lap. and what if u call it a notebook? you dont take notes in it and its not a book..

Desktop: || lappped Q6700 w/ lapped TRUE || ASUS P5Q Deluxe|| Sapphire 4870 1GB || Mushkin Ascent XP2-8500 (2x2GB) || 2 x WD6400AAKS || Corsair HX620W || Lian-Li PC-60FB || 2 x BenQ G2400WD || Vista Ultimate 64bit || Samsung SH-S223Q || Logitech MX518 || Logitech Ultra-X || SteelSeries SX || Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 || ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe ||
Server: || E5200 w/ XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 || ASUS P5Q-EM || EVGA 8800GTS G92 w/ Accelero S1 R2 || G.SKILL 6400 2x2GB || 1 x WD6400AAKS || 4 x 1TB Samsung F1 || SeaSonic M12II SS-500GM || Antec Three Hundred || Samsung SH-203BL || Ubuntu 8.10 ||

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,408 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

lol, i dont even use my laptop on top of my lap. and what if u call it a notebook? you dont take notes in it and its not a book..

A word of WARNING:
DO NOT EVER try to swallow a "Tablet PC"

;)

:rofl:

jaclaz

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Joined 25-February 07

Ha! What do those look like?

I call it a laptop even though I never put it on my lap. Most people I know call them laptops. The computer companies often call them notebooks. I think they should be called portable computers, but who wants to say all that instead of just laptop?

A word of WARNING:

;)

jaclaz

I learned that the hard way. Thing is I fried the computer, too, because I tried to take it with water. :rolleyes:
-Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Joined 25-February 07

Ha! What do those look like?

I call it a laptop even though I never put it on my lap. Most people I know call them laptops. The computer companies often call them notebooks. I think they should be called portable computers, but who wants to say all that instead of just laptop?

A word of WARNING:

;)

jaclaz

I learned that the hard way. Thing is I fried the computer, too, because I tried to take it with water. :rolleyes:
-Idontwantspam

ripken204

ripken204

The Hardware Guy

• 6,311 posts
  • Joined 23-December 04

i call them laptops too. i'de have to agree the portable computer is the "technical" name also..

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,682 posts
  • Joined 24-September 05

Donator

Most people I work with call it a thumb drive.

Maleko

Maleko

Gold Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • Joined 17-June 05
Pen Drive here, some times flash drive, but more so pen drive
Posted Image

doggitydogs

doggitydogs

• 21 posts
  • Joined 15-April 07

you mean no one calls it a USB Mass Storage Device

No, not even my computer. My computer does, however, call my MP3 player a USB Mass Storage Device.

• Posted Image

Wesmosis

Wesmosis

Just Call Me Doctor Just Call Me Pain!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Joined 20-September 04
simply Flash or USB

e.g you see my new usb?
@I dont know how the third World War will be fought, but I`m sure the fourth will be fought with sticks and stones
@Like What You Do, If You Can't Do What You Like
@Reality.Sys Corrupted. Universe Halted. Reboot Y/N

amit_talkin

amit_talkin

Experienced

• PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Joined 05-October 05
i m calling it "Pen Drive". not just me..almost 99% ppl here calling it Pen Drive!
Primary - Q9450@3.6GHz | 8GB G.Skill 1000MHz | Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 F3b mobo. | 1.5TB Storage | Sappgire HD4890 | HomeMade H2O Kit | Antec NeoPower Blue 650w
Secondary - E8400 3.00@ 4.05GHz | 4 GB Crucial Ballistix | ASUS P5B Deluxe mobo. | 250GB Storage | Sapphire Toxic HD4850 512MB | OCZ Vendetta2 CPU Cooler | Coolermaster 500w

jcarle

jcarle

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,579 posts
  • Joined 14-August 04
I call it Sarah.
Posted Image
Posted Image

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,408 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I call it Sarah.

I too used to call mine Sarah, but, besides the fact that it evidently did not understand it's name as it invariably failed to come to me when I called it aloud, my wife began thinking I was:
a. mad
b. having an affair with another woman

So I quitted. :whistle:

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN