Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

USB _________ (fill in the blank)

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Poll: USB devices (90 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you call them?

1. Voted (USB) Flash drive (47 votes [52.22%])

Percentage of vote: 52.22%

2. (USB) Pen drive (11 votes [12.22%])

Percentage of vote: 12.22%

3. USB-key (10 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. (USB) flash key (2 votes [2.22%])

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

5. Something else (specify) (20 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,964 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

I either call it a USB Key or a USB Drive. When I got to the company I work at now, everyone called it a "Dongle" even my many failed attempts to inform them that they are not connecting them to PCMCIA Cards.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

[deXter]

[deXter]

The Lord of the Scripts

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Joined 08-May 04
^ They're not entirely wrong. A dongle, although strictly speaking refers to a hardware device used for software protection, can be connected to any I/O port (serial, parallel, USB) depending on the type. USB dongles are gradually replacing the older types. There are also programs that convert regular usb flash drives into dongles.

Edited by [deXter], 12 September 2007 - 12:55 AM.

One Script to rule them all, One Script to find them, One Script to bring them all and in the web bind them

In the Land of The Net where the Hackers lie.

JayScore

JayScore

• 24 posts
  • Joined 16-September 06
I call it my bluedisk, because it (my first) is blue. I even have a subdirectory on d: named bluedisk. My new black one (disk/MP3 player) I call my bluedisk, the black one. :D

Brando569

Brando569

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Joined 28-April 04
i usually call it a jumpdrive even though its a cruzer micro and not a lexar :lol: i guess after having my jumpdrive secure the name just stuck in my mind. when people are like "what??" i call it a flash drive

bobsobol

bobsobol
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 10-September 07
Good grief. Yea... erm... all of the above and more, depending on who I'm talking to.

At the school where I worked when these things started to become available (and we where weaning people off floppies, as drive maintenance is an arse) my device (that I used as exemplar) was on a key chain... but my keys quickly broke it. The teachers typically had Memory fobs on a lanyard around their neck. The pupils often had pens, which act as a pen in lessons and pull out the memory device in CS/IT classes. I also advised them that many MP3 players could be purchased cheaply and could double for transferring homework... which is a good ploy because it is beneficial both to kids and parents. ;)

Myself, personally, I think the kind of storage mechanism is not relevant to the user. I remember people still referring to the Hard Disk Drive as Winchester drives, "the Stack" (which, as a low level programmer I found really annoying) or "the Platter" or "Rigid Disk" (as oppose to the floppy disk) long into the early 90's.

Whether it is a "Hard Disk" or a "Hard Drive" or even (occasionally) "Fixed Disk" is still debatable, and users often get confused between a "Partition" or "Volume" and a "Disk" or "Drive". And understandably so, as very few OS differentiate the two visibly.

I think "USB Memory Stick" is what my mind internally calls them, but I'm very aware that they would be more practical on IEEE 1394 (Firewire), and are available (but less popular) with that connection. Some work on magnetic storage and are still tiny, and connect to USB, some work with battery backed memory. Memory Stick is, I grant confusing, but so is card, as there are "cards" for internal memory upgrade when the motherboard won't support more RAM. So I qualify with "USB", then I know what I'm talking about... which is always a good thing. :D

Perhaps all that is really relevant to the use, is whether it is a "Fixed", "Removable" or "Network" storage device? I like the underutilized term "volume" as this is book knowledge sensible, but since it referrers to a partition of a data device, it can lead to confusion when there may be only one volume to a device, or several... or with RAIDs several devices to a volume. But books are the same, one or many books to a story or collection or many stories collected in a single volume or tome.

"Disk" certainly only applies to devices whose physical storage medium is a spun platter like an LP record / Laser Disc / CD / DVD / BRD / HD-DVD / Hard or Floppy Disk / MO Disk etc. not to static or battery backed memory devices. And a "Drive" requires a motor to move the medium under the read head, or the head over the medium, which still applies to all the
Disks but would also cover Tape drives / Punch Cards / Punch Tape / DATs etc. (DAT Tape, or MD Disk are also annoying as the acronym already contains the post qualifying word "Tape" or "Disk")

It doesn't matter what your OS says it is, most are frequently either inaccurate or just down right WRONG! But we can blame the classic Mac "RAM Disk" for that.

The more we virtualize these things for reasons of backward computability (applying a format and number of heads, cylinders and sectors to a memory chip :blink:) the more confused the OS is going to be, about how to explain what it sees to the user in real-world terms. A classic example was the Windows 95 installer asking the user to insert the install CD in drive A: and click "OK" to continue. :blink: Is it any wonder we get confused?

MillenX

MillenX

• PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Joined 17-December 07
USB-key is sort of weird
I just call it thumbdrive, occasionally pendrive.
Most of us here in Malaysia called it thumbdrive
My teacher just called it Kingston... She got a Kingston...

Zenskas

Zenskas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Joined 07-May 08
USB stick is what I call it. But sometimes I say USB key or flash drive or just USB. Its just whatever comes to mind quickly. I don't know why calling them just "USB" is so bad. Most people understand what you are saying if you were to say "its on my USB", or "my USB is 2GB", so why say more? It is the most common USB device people seem to talk about anyway.

[Passive Gamer] Silverstone TJ08-EW | Intel Core i7 3770S | Silverstone Heligon HE02 | ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 | 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | ASUS GTX 750 Ti Strix OC 2GB | Antec Neo HE 550W |

pm*

pm*

MSFN Patron

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 30-June 09
i like th following USB gadgets
USB-Flash Drive
USB-Pendrive

U-Universal
S-Serial
B-Bus

woody.cool

woody.cool

• 38 posts
  • Joined 12-July 09
Look, it's a Pen Drive darn it!

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Joined 07-February 08
In another forum saying in my own language, everyone there simply calls it USB! Yeah, USB only! And we all know what we are talking about. I'll choose to call it "pen drive" if I have to talk about it here.

Sp0iLedBrAt

Sp0iLedBrAt

MSFN Addict

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,727 posts
  • Joined 19-March 09
USB, USB stick, or USB little key (word-to-word translation). Sometimes I just call it the "thingy".

DKasler

DKasler

• 18 posts
  • Joined 08-March 05
USB Stick.

Andromeda43

Andromeda43

Retired PC Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Joined 14-August 05
Does it really matter what you want to call it? You could call it a popcicle if you want, but when you go to buy one, you'd better know what the manufacturer and the dealer calls it, or you may not get what you want.
http://www.tigerdire...C7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Apparently, "Memory Stick" is what they call those little flat dohickies that you plug into your digital camera.

I see them all the time in the stores, on the sales racks, and every one of them has "Flash Drive" plainly printed on the package.
So is there really any argument about what to call them? I'd think NOT!

B)

Edited by Andromeda43, 15 January 2011 - 01:51 PM.

A person with experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument.

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,023 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

I agree "USB flash drive" is probably the best option.
But I think "USB pen drive", or even just "pendrive" has become vernacular already. My 2 ยข only, of course.

blackturbokitty

blackturbokitty

• 30 posts
  • Joined 09-January 11

Donator

I ussually call the small USB mass storage device a thumb drive. Any hard drives that plug into a USB port is a USB hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users