Recommendations for Vista sysprep usage?

I like to install windows fresh, apply all updates and new drivers, customize the environment/add some branding, then run sysprep and make an image... that way when using the image it comes to OOBE and asks for product key but SIDs are changed and drivers are all fresh.

With vista, when i run sysprep with oobe and generalize switches, when it reboots to oobe it doesn't ask for a product key and it deletes all the drivers i installed before sysprepping, but my customizations/environments settings seem to be retained

what can i do? i don't want to make images and have to manually update the drivers, i don't want to script them either, i just want them to stay during a sysprep :/

thanks

This is the setting I used (in my case, it was to keep VMWare Tools installed):

<settings pass="generalize">

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpSysprep" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" processorArchitecture="x86">

<PersistAllDeviceInstalls>true</PersistAllDeviceInstalls>

</component>

</settings>

This is the setting I used (in my case, it was to keep VMWare Tools installed):

<settings pass="generalize">

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpSysprep" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" processorArchitecture="x86">

<PersistAllDeviceInstalls>true</PersistAllDeviceInstalls>

</component>

</settings>

I can't do it from the command line? I'm not using any XML files on reseal or anything

That's a long story... it's essentially the main topic of this entire forum. It boils down to two methods:

Option A:

Download Microsoft's Business Desktop Deployment kit, the WAIK (Windows Automated Installation Kit) etc. Read a bunch of manuals. There's a program called Windows SIM and another called "ImageX" that are involved. You create a special image file of your system disk with ImageX, and then use Windows SIM to create an answer file. You also need to have a stock Windows Vista CD available. This system offers a GUI, lists all of your options, does syntax checks, and helps keep some sort of inventory of your various setups.

My impression is (not having used it) that there's a steep learning curve, and then you can manage a large number of images and so forth quite well. This forum contains a guide which is much easier to understand than MS's fragmented documentation.

Option B:

Scan this forum for examples of Unttend.xml files (or Autounttend.xml), and grab bits and pieces. (For example, I posted one a couple of days ago in another thread regarding NetworkLocation and DontClearTaskBar -- it almost works in my application <g>). You can use XML Notepad or any other XML-aware editor (I use UltraEdit) to do the edits. The XML syntax is very rudimentary.

IN EITHER CASE, there are a large number of fairly complex & confusing settings, which are a major topic of discussion here. You will wish to refer to:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista...3.mspx?mfr=true

This is the reference guide for all settings.