There are several reasons why this error occur. Mostly is caused by some graphics adapters, or by large ram and by system settings in config sys and system.ini.
Fixing of problem depends on the reason of memory insufficiency.
1. Dos based programs
- it is absolutely necessary for them to have enough memory to run. Mostly it means conventional memory.
2. Command.com and command line programs (*.bat, mem, or other w32 apps running in dos window)
- here are mixed reasons why the will not run. They need conventional memory, and they need classic windows memory to run.
3. Windows based applications
- here is only one reason - lack of free system ram.
This error occurs even when you have really large ram and have large virtual memory swapfile so the reason is not the amount of ram at all, but mostly the memory management.
I used some critical applications where this error can cause trouble to diagnose the problem and now i am sure that it is caused by too large MaxFileCache value.
Here are the lines which i used in system ini and fixed problem.
To prove that these settings are correct i tried some things.
1.I opened You tube and play any video, then i turned on TV tuner and i watched both videos. If one of them goes blank or is frozen it means that memory is consumed. With setting above it didnt occured.
2. with tv tuner and you tube opened i ran Ultima online by *.bat file. It ran correctly. Then i ran command.com and it worked.
(ultima itself has trouble with lack of memory)
3. Opened Notepad/Metapad and selected quite large text and used copy/paste. With the setting aboe it worked without error.
This positive state didnt changed even when i was using apps for hours without restart.
If the MaxFileCache is larger than 131072 all "Not enough memory" errors appeared again - when the number was larger the intensity of memory errors was greater.
This error is probably linked also with hardware construction and this is the thing i want to discuss
I have 2 HDD, 2 CD roms, Ati Radeon 9800XT, 1,5 gb RAM. I need a feedback from somebody who is using more or less peripherals, different graphics and ram.
System has 1024 Mb of ram and 512 mb of Ramdisk, where the win386.swp is stored.
Try to use vcache settings i have posted and then try to raise Maxfilecache. Good diagnostic tool is any video playing and attempt to run Command line, or copy/pasting blocks of text in notepad.
Before testing be sure that you have enough free conventional memory (at least 450-500 kb)
Report if memory error occur while using 131072 kb of maxfilecache - send here your Vcache section of system ini, config sys, and autoexec.bat file.
This post has been edited by Offler: 09 June 2007 - 02:11 AM