IRQ Needed Advice Please

Spock

I installed a PCI - firewire/USB card. Works fine. Problem is that it has used three IRQs. It's a problem because I need also to install a PCI-ADSL modem card and now there are no IRQs left.

The PCI - firewire/USB card uses:

IRQ 03 - PCI to firewire IEEE1394 & USB

IRQ 09 PCI to USB2

IRQ 11 PCI to USB

All I really need is one USB connection. SO i tried to freeup IRQ 11:

1. firstly i tried disabling the device of IRQ 11 (using device manager) but that didn't free it up.

2. secondly I tried removing it (using device manager) but on rebooting it was detected again :-(

Anyone any ideas? Worse case, I could free up IRQ 04 which is COM1 in the BIOS, but i like to keep my modem just in case the ADSL goes down for some reason. Also i'm not sure whether IRQ 04 can be used for anything else?

P.S. Background: A lightning strike zapped all internal motherboard USB functionality! Otherwise PC is ok. Hence need for installing these two cards.

Did you switch of onboard USB in BIOS? Even though it's zapped, it could still get an IRQ.

Did you try to just plug in your ADSL card? Some (most?) drivers doesn't bother about shared IRQ's.

Did you switch of onboard USB in BIOS? Even though it's zapped, it could still get an IRQ.

Did you try to just plug in your ADSL card? Some (most?) drivers doesn't bother about shared IRQ's.

Yes, it's switched off in BIOS. I'm almost certain that the ADSL card will want its own IRQ (still awaiting delivery).

P.S. Background: A lightning strike zapped all internal motherboard USB functionality! Otherwise PC is ok. Hence need for installing these two cards.

if motherboard problems continue, replace the motherboard with a new one.

Try removing all USB-oriented items in the Device Manager, reboot, and see if they reappear. If they do, ???.

Also, some add-in cards have an "extra" internal USB1.1 (the IRQ11 one, most likely) that can sometimes be "disabled" on the add-in board. Check the documentation on the add-in to see how it "works"...

HTH

Edited by submix8c

Try removing all USB-oriented items in the Device Manager, reboot, and see if they reappear. If they do, ???.

Also, some add-in cards have an "extra" internal USB1.1 (the IRQ11 one, most likely) that can sometimes be "disabled" on the add-in board. Check the documentation on the add-in to see how it "works"...

HTH

Will try and check. Only no manufacturer is on the box or the card...It just says "HI SPEED INTERFACE CARD" (Made in China)

One thing: The PCI-USB card has VIA Tech 3038 pci to USB chipset and VIA VT 6212 USB2.0 chipset. ANYWAY, one question: how do I know which USB port is the USB 2.0 one?

If all else fails...I've more or less decided that the simplest solution is to BIOS switch off COM1 ditch my old analog modem and freeup IRQ 4.

(BTW Installed a treat on win98SE, and the NUSB drivers on this forum worked well also.)

how do I know which USB port is the USB 2.0 one?

plugging a recent USB stick on a USB 1 port will get you a message saying the device can perform faster on a USB 2 port. If applicable.

how do I know which USB port is the USB 2.0 one?

All ports on the card are USB 2. The chip inside decides which IRQ/driver to use depending on the device connected to the port.

plugging a recent USB stick on a USB 1 port will get you a message saying the device can perform faster on a USB 2 port.

I never saw this message on a W98 box. AFAIK this 'feature' is added in XP.

@Mijzelf:

Read this (VIA Arena) re: usbv1/usbv2

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageI...leID=68&P=3

The specs changed. My mobo has USB-1.1 (4 ports, 2 hubs). I also have a USB 1.1 card and a USB2.0 card, so all USB's are NOT USB2.

@Spock:

No specs found on "HI SPEED<snip>".

"How do I know" probably irrelevant. Since you know the chip on Add-In (3038), how about the On-Board?

Possibility your mobo is "stuck" (i.e. internal usb not being disabled) due to the "strike". (?maybe not "broken"; tried re-flashing the BIOS?). I have one mobo claims COM-port disabled but still gets found by Windows.

Not sure if you can "share" the IRQ's between the Dial-Up and ADSL modems. Anyone want to try to find the info on "how-to"? This would be the best way to go (since you use only one-at-a-time).

OR... get a single-USB (2 ports) without firewire. this will use only one IRQ for the add-in (like my USB 1.1).

Edited by submix8c

Thanks to all for advice!

Unplugged USB/FW card, freed-up one IRQ (IRQ 04, was analog modem) and got Connexant chipset PCI ADSL card working. (BTW I'd recommend it, can buy it v. cheaply on ebay). Then connected USB/FW card.

U could be right about the IRQ... Here is what I've got:

04 USB and Firewire

09 USB

10 USB2 and PCI ADSL

Didn't know that win98SE could accept two devices on same IRQ (?) aka IRQ 10.

Also, the person who mentioned possibility of disabling Firewire on the USB/FW card is probably right. There's a 3-pin connector which often is enable/disable something. But as I've no spec and no manufacturer, except it's VIA chipset...humm.

98SE2ME + most upgrades

Sempron 3.1G+ 1GB memory