Description: How to optimize your HDD for Windows 7, duplicate easily the OS and improve the security of your personal files and folders.5.- COMPLEMENTARY OPTIONS.-
5.1.- CREATE THE SECOND WINDOWS 7 UNIT INTO A LOGICAL DRIVE.-
- Even when until now primary partition 3 has been always used to create Win2, in order to dedicate the remaining hard disk drive for user files, you can optionally also create Win2 into a 25 GB logical unit.
- You only need to create a 25 GB logical unit and use it instead of the third primary partition as explained from paragraph 3,3 up to here. Evidently, every reference regarding the third primary partition must be referred to this logical drive.
- After the install process the logical drive appears as disc C and behaves exactly just the same as the primary units do.
- It is important to leave the needed place for the 25 GB logical drive after all existing logical units, so that when it appears as drive C all others appear using their same drive letters.
5.2.- CREATE MORE ACTIVE DRIVES USING LOGICAL UNITS.-
- The compressed recovery file can also be used to create more active drives into logical units.
- The procedure is very easy:
a.- Create a free space at the end of the hard drive and within him a last logical drive. Its size can be one half of the recommended one for primary units.
b.- Decompress the compressed recovery file into it.
c.- Reboot using the System Recovery CD. It will analyze by itself the existing units, then it will find the new system drive and add it to the boot start menu.
d.- The added unit will appear as "(recovered)". You can change its name and also the boot order by using EasyBCD.
5.3.- CHANGE THE WINDOWS 7 WORKING MODE BY USING A LOGICAL UNIT.-
If your computer is running under the 64 bits mode and you wish to use 32 bits or vice versa without losing it, you can do it very easily, as follows:
- Create a logical unit as explained at previous paragraphs, format it and decompress into it the compressed recovery file. It may be named Win3.
- Reboot using the System Recovery CD. It will analyze by itself the existing units, then it will find the new system drive and add Win3 to the boot start menu.
- Install the new mode in Win1 and Win2, as done with the first one.
- Win1 will remain as main unit using the new mode, Win2 will also remain to be used for many different purposes as support unit, cloning, program testing and many other useful uses that you will discover at everyday use, and you may also boot Win3 if for any purpose you find it convenient to work the old way.
- A total security is awarded by the fact that you keep two compressed recovery files, which allow you to rebuild any of the three working drives in less than ten minutes on the background.
- The final menu can be edited to change the booting order, the names of the units or the waiting time by using EasyBcd.
5.4.- AN ALTERNATIVE PROCEDURE FOR FAST RESTORE.-
- A restore of the OS at any of the drives to its initial state can be achieved in a fast and easy way: substitute the Windows\System32\config folder by the previously saved one. You must of course be running Windows 7 on the other drive. The effects are similar as the standard recovery to a previous moment resource supplied by Microsoft.
5.5.- REDUCE THE SIZE OF WINDOWS 7 BY DELETING UNNECESSARY FILES AND FOLDERS.-
- The Windows folder size can be considerably reduced by deleting the "Backup" subfolder placed into C:\winsxs.
- Unnecessary files can be eliminated using the "Search" option of "FreeCommander" to find and delete all included into the following list (copy this line "as is" into the search space):
- If you are not interested in oriental languages most files containing them can be found and deleted using the same way the following line (mind that at first boot Windows will detect the changes and you must reactivate):
5.6.- MODIFY THE LOGON SCREEN TO DISTINGUISH UNITS AT BOOT.-
- You may use a different logon screen for each one of them by using different .jpg files for it. An excellent freeware is "Tweakslogon"
This utility reduces the size of your jpg file to the maximum admitted by the OS if it is needed.
If the change is not allowed you need to withdraw the "Read only" attribute from the C:\Windows\System32\oobe\Info\Backgrounds folder and try again.
5.7.- A FULL RECOVERY OPTION.-
- In order to implement the ability of reinstalling the OS at any moment using only your HDD you can create a folder into any logical drive and decompress into it the .iso image file, or use FreeCommander to copy into it the whole install DVD including hidden and system files and folders.
- It is recommended to rebuild always the second primary partition, that is the one which is used for Win1. Boot Win1, then go to the mentioned folder and click on "Setup.exe". Choose the same second primary partition that is being run. A new Windows 7 OS will be built into the same drive while the old one is left into a folder named "Windows.old", to be deleted afterwards.
- If you instead wish a fresh install into a formatted primary partition you need the repair CD. Boot using it, go to the last screen and choose "Command Prompt", then position yourself at the HDD install folder and execute "Setup.exe" using the "Format" option.