Changing Desktop Picture

DJ_Datte

*Disclaimer: Dont know if this is the right forum, but the right people should be here :) *

Hello!

I've been on this problem from time to time, and never found a effective solution, so now I am posting here!

Does anyone know of a way to change the desktop picture on the fly with a command-line tool (or a utility that takes configuration options?) It needs to be done quickly, prefferably by executing a command / *.bat file!

The wanted effect:

Executing a utility with a command line / clicking a bat file, and the desktop changes to a new one, thats defined in the file / command line.

Any takers ?

Thankyou !

/Damir

Here's a batch script that will change wallpaper.

reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v Wallpaper /t REG_SZ  /d "F:\Wallpaper\mickey_mouse.bmp" /f
rundll32.exe User32.dll,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters

The limitaion is this will only accept .bmp files, although you could use Irfanview to convert on the fly.

"C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" "F:\Wallpaper\Felix.jpg" /convert="F:\Wallpaper\Felix.bmp"
reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v Wallpaper /t REG_SZ  /d "F:\Wallpaper\Felix.bmp" /f

To save having many files converted to bmp, re-use the same name (no need to alter the registry this time)

"C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" "F:\Wallpaper\Betty.png" /convert="F:\Wallpaper\Current.bmp"

Remeber to change all the paths to suit :)

Edited by nakira

excellent trick nakira !

I may suggest to use this location for the BMP-converted wallpaper :

C:\Documents and Settings\<your_account_name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Wallpaper<N>.bmp

It's the location Windows puts BMP-converted wallpapers when you use the Display Settings control panel to select a JPG or GIF or PNG, etc.

By default, <N> is 1 (and the file seems to be replaced when you convert a new file), but I suppose it can increase...

bye