How to Manually Schedule Chkdsk at Startup?

spacesurfer

You know how you can check your XP partition for errors at startup because it can't check for errors while XP is running... well how do you do that for all drives. I want to check for errors, not while windows is running, but at startup. Is there a way you can pick and choose which drives you want scanned at startup?

Thanks.

Your best bet would probably be to create a scheduled task that edits the autochk registry key to automatically check all drives on reboot, then resets the key (otherwise, autochk will run on every reboot).

Or...you can create a batch file that runs off of your Scheduled Task with a series of questions asking you if you want to check certain drives. If yes, then it gets entered into the

The reg key is:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

Under that is a string value. The default is:

BootExecute = autocheck autochk *

The asterisk means that no drives are being checked on startup.

I'd give this a read before doing anything:

http://www2.isye.gatech.edu/~mgoetsch/cali...nofCHKDSK_F.htm

I'm having a problem with my I: partition. I set this partition to be dirty. Now, everytime at startup, it checks the disk for errors and hangs up at the end when it says "USN journal verification etc etc completed."

I don't understand why it hangs when it says it's completed. Anyway, I have to press the reset button to restart and Windows comes up normally. However, next time I shutdown, the same thing happens.

How do I manually get it to reset the dirty bit? The MS page only explains how to set it, but not undo the set.

(I types fsutil dirty query I: and it stated the drive is dirty. So I want to restore to not being dirty.)

There is a file called bootex.log that resides in this I: partition and can't be deleted. When virus scan runs, Windows errors when it gets to this file stating you need to check the drive for errors. If I run it from within Windows, then it freezes at stage 4 of 5.

Have you tried this cmd

ChkNtfs /?

This is what Vista displays with the above cmd

Displays or modifies the checking of disk at boot time.

CHKNTFS volume [...]
CHKNTFS /D
CHKNTFS /T[:time]
CHKNTFS /X volume [...]
CHKNTFS /C volume [...]

volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),
mount point, or volume name.
/D Restores the machine to the default behavior; all drives are
checked at boot time and chkdsk is run on those that are
dirty.
/T:time Changes the AUTOCHK initiation countdown time to the
specified amount of time in seconds. If time is not
specified, displays the current setting.
/X Excludes a drive from the default boot-time check. Excluded
drives are not accumulated between command invocations.
/C Schedules a drive to be checked at boot time; chkdsk will run
if the drive is dirty.

If no switches are specified, CHKNTFS will display if the specified drive is
dirty or scheduled to be checked on next reboot.

I just tried that, Gunsmoking. It didn't work. So I backed up my data. Then tried to delete, recreate, and format the partition. Formatting froze the computer. I restarted in BartPE and tried to format there. It's still formatting but I see no HDD activity. I'll give it another hour and if nothing, then I'll assum something else is wrong.

I've been getting a lot of errors on that drive. I recently noticed after a chkdsk some bad sectors (640 k) on that drive. I've gotten a lot of iastor.sys errors in system log in computer management. And also some error called ESET error. Wonder if it's my MOBO's SATA port or is it the hard drive itself?

I'm not sure what's happening here. SATA port or bad hard drive? It's 1 year old - Maxtor MaxLine II 300 Gb. Running it as AHCI. Twice, the drive disappeared from my computer. Once, when I started XP, it wasn't there. I restarted and there it was. Second time (yesterday), it vanished while XP was running!

Frustrated.