WUD Version 3 Draft Feedback

jcarle

I'm preparing to start coding WUD version 3. I'd like to get feedback from you guys and maintain an official list of which features WUD V3 should support. Anything you have to say about WUD and what you'd like to see it keep doing, do better or not do, let me know.

I'm preparing to start coding WUD version 3. I'd like to get feedback from you guys and maintain an official list of which features WUD V3 should support. Anything you have to say about WUD and what you'd like to see it keep doing, do better or not do, let me know.

a 64 bit version would be nice for people on 64 bit platforms

Turn WUD from a downloader to a manager. It has cool features below:

• automatically update ULs
  • only download updates that are not downloaded yet
  • remove old updates
  • automatically install lots of updates
  • automatically integrate lots of updates to the Windows XP CD

As well it can have additional features below:

• export a URL list for other download managers to download updates
  • export a batch file to install updates
  • export a batch file to integrate updates
  • after downloading finished, set the date of downloaded updates to the same as the server (that makes perfect original updates)

Sorry for my poor English :thumbup

• 3 weeks later...

hello jcarle.

keep up the excellent work with wud. you can't imagine how helpful this program

has been for all us techs around the world. we all tip our hats to you! i have 2 ideas:

1. i would like to see the option of incorporating a download and resume option

especially for the people who don't have a fast broadband connection or

who are on a time share basis with internet access such as at a internet café..

2. after the fallout of autopatcher incident with Microsoft how about making some

form of authentication for the ul files so that lets say the ul’s posted are verified as

authentic in the sense of the download links are from ms and not from some other place.

maybe designating just several key people to compile the ul's instead of everyone

making them from scratch. ( a download on demand service )? u ask for a specific

batch of files and a custom ul is generated automatically for download.

i hope microsoft doesn't end up destroying the wonderful work you have done...

good luck..

Guys, do keep in mind... I may not have commented much... but I've been reading and following along. I'm brewing up some ideas.

And no, WUD's not going anywhere for the near future, as WUD does not violate the EULA for either the operating systems or the updates since WUD only acquires them like a normal webbrowser would or a download manager.

I'm thinking of adding digital signatures or something of the like to the ULs. And I'm keeping in mind all your ideas thrown around here so far.

And no, WUD's not going anywhere for the near future, as WUD does not violate the EULA for either the operating systems or the updates since WUD only acquires them like a normal webbrowser would or a download manager.

It does violate WGA as most of the updates it downloads are only available to genuine copies of the OS. Not bashing, just saying.

^ since when is Media Player 11 and the HighMAT stuff critical updates? I have a ton of other "optional" files that were downloaded with WUD that are not critical files.

Edited by MrCobra

By the way, most WGA protected downloads, such as WMP11 and IE7 have internal protections that require validation before they will install. WUD does NOT remove those. WUD operates in a completely compliant manner, in the same way as Windows Updates and WSUS.

• 1 month later...

I would like to congratulate jcarle for this great tool. I have only one suggestion similar to other said before, but a little diferent:

- Make possible to check which critical uptades has already been integrated to an installation;

I don't know if this is feature would be unnecessary once already exist a way to do this, but I haven't discovered one yet.

I asked this in one of the 2007 UL threads http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...008&hl=2007 but ill post it here for all to see

Is there any chance of updating WUD to extract the *.msp files from the updates after downloading?

that way all you have to do is drop the *.msp files into the CD:\Updates folder after WUD downloads them

and about the WGA issues -its too bad Microsoft hasnt released some sort of toolkit for developers to integrate WGA detection into their apps (so WUD could WGA check and if WGA fails restrict downloads to security updates)