nLite 1.4 RC2 - Rain Ultra

nuhi

@ AgiHammerklau

Why is there the possibility to name the ISO, if winlite.iso pops up by default, as soon as I´m asked, where to save it ?

That is not name for ISO, it is label for the ISO which will appear in My Computer when you insert ISO in some virtual CD-ROM. The same label will appear when you burn ISO to CD and when you insert it in physical CD-ROM.

Cheers ;)

I integrated RyanVM's Windows XP Post-SP2 Update Pack and Windows Defender.

I cannot login anymore, instead I get the error avout windows product activation:

"A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license for

this computer, error code: 0x8007007e"

What did I do wrong?

WFP/SFC problem still exists

I'm not sure if you want to know if we still experience the SFC popup problem. Like you mentioned on the homepage, MSIE70 integration seems to cause the problem.

I've seen the problem both with the original IE7 as with the new version. With the old IE7 I've had the problem both on an English and a Dutch XP Pro version. The new IE7 I've only tried so far on XP Pro English.

Not only do I get the popup when I insert a USB Stick, I also get it when I run the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer. When I run MBSA on a XP setup with slipstreamed MSIE70 (no other hotfixes), the Windows File Protection pops up. But off course, it might just be that the popup is right in this case. It seems like MBSA starts with a download of a new version of the Windows Update Agent.

Edit: I only get the SFC popup once. If I connect a USB stick first, I don't get the popup when running MBSA. And if I run MBSA first, I don't get the popup when connecting a USB stick.

Edit2: If I insert a USB stick and supply my machine with an XP CD, the SetupApi.log shows:

[2007/10/17 00:32:29 640.7]
#-199 Executing "\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe" with command line: winlogon.exe
#E197 Writing "C:\WINDOWS\inf\syssetup.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\INF" is not an approved method of installing INF files. Use a 'CopyINF' entry instead.
#W187 Install failed, attempting to restore original files.

If I insert the USB stick and don't supply the machine with an XP CD, it shows:

[2007/10/17 00:50:41 640.7]
#-199 Executing "\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe" with command line: winlogon.exe
#-167 SPFILENOTIFY_NEEDMEDIA: Tag = "\win51ip.sp2", Description= "Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD", SourcePath = "D:\i386", SourceFile = "syssetup.inf", Flags = 0x00000000.
#E169 SPFILENOTIFY_NEEDMEDIA: returned FILEOP_ABORT. Error 1223: The operation was canceled by the user.
#W187 Install failed, attempting to restore original files.

Another way to show there's something wrong would be to run

SFC /ScanNow

wihtout the CD present. This results in a lot of messages in setupapi.log (attached). It seems to me that all those files are indeed MSIE70 related. It looks like the MSIE70 files are integrated into the CD, but SFC/WFP doesn't know yet that those files are the correct ones.

Even if I run SFC /ScanNow with the CD present, things don't get fixed. If I run SFC /ScanNow again later, without the CD present, it wants to repair a lot of files again. So to me it definitely seems like Windows doesn't accept the integrated MSIE70 files as "official microsoft files".

SetupApi.log.txt

Edited by comecme

Another way to show there's something wrong would be to run
SFC /ScanNow

wihtout the CD present. This results in a lot of messages in setupapi.log (attached).

It appears that this behaviour also occurs with my base XP SP2 CD and even with my XP SP1 CD. In both cases, running SFC /ScanNow without the CD present will show that it's trying to repair a lot of files.

Unfortunately I don't have any original CD (no SP) present, so I can't try what happens with that version. I wonder if there are some errors in my SP1/SP2 image. Or does this SFC stuff not work like it should at all?

AgiHammerklau, I'll think about returning NetDDE, I have experienced freezing with other removals as well but every situation was because of something removed vs something kept that shouldn't. Meaning removed DTC and kept Com+, that would hang as well.

korri, manually removed oembios files?

comecme, yes. Gonna just put a popup that SFC disable is a must if you integrate IE7 unless we find a solution.

Ok, those with the SFC error, try to get the Syssetup.inf from the full slipstreamed source but unedited, overwrite the one in the Windows\Inf

that should help with the popups.

Let me know if it does but be sure that you got the clean file suitable for your Windows version. Then I will automate it if some of you confirm.

So far comecme confirmed.

edit: PM me if you want the test version.

Attach your preset made with nLite so we can figure out if any removed components are the cause; what error message are you getting when you attempt to install?

Is your "Automatic Updates" service set to "Automatic" and running?

Edited by tap52384

The passowrd expiration tweak does not work ok, at least with mine Wins... I tried both unchecking the check box and setting expiration to 0, but it always returns back to 42 days. The only solution is to set expiration to 365 days - I have never had Wins installed for such a long time ;-)

Any experience?