Create My Own Recovery Partition?

Hi

Andrewwan1980

hope this helps even better is when you have your image you can update the image with new updates or whatever it will then only update the files which have changed when you have it loaded into windows you can make a bootable cd so you can then use it one other pc without haveing to install it first

Acronis Recovery Manager enables you to restart your computer by hitting the F11 key when you see the "press F11 for acronis recovery manager" message, in case you computer does not boot correctly, even if your operating system has been deleted. Before activating Acronis Recovery Manger, you need to create Acronis Secure Zone first. ( Note: If Acronis Secure Zone can not be found in hard disc, this function will not be available )

Acronis true image is an excellent data backup tool, which allows you to create Acronis secure zone. The secure zone is very safe and inaccessible by ordinary windows program and can not be corrupted by computer virus and system crash etc. when you encounter system crash. If your computer can not be started normally, you can start with acronis true image while Acronis secure zone must be created before.

Then how to create acronis secure zone? Follow steps list below, you can easily create acronis secure zone.

1. Download acronis true image by visiting http://www.downloadatoz.com/acronis-true-image/download.html

2. Install acronis true image to your PC.

3. Run acronis true image by click start => program =>acronis => acronis true image

4. Click manage secure zone in the key function zone. Then acronis secure zone wizard will pop up.

5. In acronis secure zone wizard window, click “next” to other step.

6. Then choose a disc to create acronis secure zone. And specify the size of secure zone. Then click next

7. Then another window will pop up, click “proceed” to create acronis secure zone.

After finishing creating, you need to restart your PC to make acronis secure zone effect.

For more information, please visit http://www.downloadatoz.com/acronis-true-image/

Edited by smartie91

• 3 weeks later...

I just went through this entire process, here's what I did:

http://graphopho.be/?p=38

With my new Dell XPS1530, there came a recovery partition.

This was fantastic, as on first boot Vista decided to blue screen. How thoroughly annoying, and did nothing to change my prior opinion of Vista. So after running the recovery deal, I was greeted with a factory fresh install and a completely working system, in about 20 minutes, vs the 2 hour install that Vista usually offers.

After about a month and a half of using Vista, the majority of my past rant stands, but after overcoming many of the annoyances with run shortcuts (ncpa.cpl), and figuring out some of the other stupids about it, I’ve come to not despise the OS. With Cygwin and andLinux running on it, it runs essentially how I want it to.

So good, working system, no odd crashes, no stupid anything going on, just a nice clean working system, with all kinds of nice things going on. So why would I need a basic factory install any more? Answer: I wouldn’t. So I want to update the restore partition to reflect the current system, with all the nice things that I have set up and blah blah blah.

So should be a relatively simple process no? Well, turns out, no.

The issues thus far:

1. The rescue partition is 10GB and at the beginning of the drive, and is too small to take a full image of my current system, which measures in at around 18GB with all programs, but all inconsequential data stripped.

2. Dell provides no way to replace the image, or create a second image

3. The Windows tools to do it are rather cumbersome and according to the few forum posts I’ve read, largely capable of f***ing up the whole rescue partition tool deal.

4. If I do manage to f*** up the disk, Dell provides no way to restore the rescue partition, so I’m stuck installing all over from scratch, not a big deal, but if I’m going to be there, I might as well leave the image as it is.

5. Vista’s install size increase exponentially with each pre-vista app you install. That is, there’s a huge whack of data that gets put in %windir%\winsxs for each program, something akin to a backup of every single system file for compatability, more info HERE and HERE, for me this directory is just under 8GB, 8,515,358,720 bytes to be exact, and makes up 2/3rds of my %windir%. This is common. This ensures that there’s no f***ing way I can create an image of my Windows install, let alone my whole C:\ drive with all programs.

6. There’s really no concrete How To, anywhere that I’ve found.

So what I want to accomplish:

1. Create an image of my computer right now that I can restore to after I inevitably destroy my Windows install.

2. Keep the original image in case there’s some irrecoverable f***up that I haven’t come across in THIS install.

3. Keep all Dell restore tools up and running properly.

Where I’m at so far:

1. Freed up 20GB of space, killed the Dell Media Direct partition, and chomped 20GB off of the end of my C: drive.

2. Ran Partition Manager to move the Windows dir up 20GB and reassign the free space to the rescue partition.

This was stopped by an error in my directory tree which was supposed to be fixed by chkdsk. Booted up to run chkdsk, found out that I’d somehow fallen prey to the “chkdsk will not run on boot” errror in Vista. Thought I’d fixed that, and then came into a blue screen related to my video card. Looked that up, fixed that through system restore, and updated my nVidia drivers.

3. Reinstall Partition Manager, try again.

4. Same results

5. Give up on doing it that way, decide I’m being a bit too stuck on one way and read a lot about WAIK, and realise that what I need to do is all wrapped up in a bunch of advanced Microsoft hooey. Download and install that, then follow THIS article and create a bootable Windows Pre-install Edition CD. Then follow THIS article to image my system, and save that to the partition space I’ve previously allotted.Which it turns out is overkill. My 18.6GB Windows install, with all programs and most stuff already logged in, saved, bookmarked, and relatively complete aside from a few minor missing programs and log ins, created only a 5.6GB image while using /compress fast while creating the image.The entire imaging process took about an hour on a Intel CoreDuo 1.8 with 3GB of RAM, and the 160GB 5400 hdd. After completing this process on my real computer (once I get my hdd replaced) I’ll be writing an entirely new article following this same process but without the initial recovery partition, which you’ll soon see is a different beast.

6. I then read a bunch of other articles that didn’t really tell me much, and I think just made me think that this was all going to be a whole lot more confusing than it should be, or than it actually was.

What I ended up doing after creating the image was, to make a long story short, Keep It Simple Stupid. I just moved the new image to my original partition, moved the real Factory.wim (the Dell factory image) to the root of the partition and then move my image to [recovery drive (for me D)]:\Dell\Image\ and rename it Factory.wim.

The moment of truth came, and I restored that image, and was pleasantly surprised that there wer no weird f***ups, like hashes failing or “mismatched image file” or some such. It just took my new image, applied it, and done.

Now, that’s easy, however I’ve got no idea how to create a WinRE from scratch that will actually work like I want it to, but I figure that with all those articles I’ve read I should be able to cobble one together.

As it stands, my D:\ drive has the factory image in its root, and my recovery image in the re-imaging folder. Should I find that my install is somehow hopelessly broken, I’ll log into the WinRE and open a cmd window and move the original image to the image directory and start from scratch. So no harm, no foul.

Btw on Acronis True Image

If your drive gets messed up where secure zone won't start with F11. Surely you did that one extra step and created a boot CD where it will start the PC and restore entire drive/partition. Acronis can also create incremental backups in the secure zone/removeable drive or even to dvd.

Best recovery ever made.

Edited by maxXPsoft

Has anyone got further in this "Create Your Own Dell Recovery Partition" project?

For anyone wishing to retrieve Dell's F8 Repair Computer option, then follow the instructions using setautofailover.cmd (WAIK tool) from http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/winvistare.htm - If you messed up your MBR then you can use Vista's CD Repair feature and use bootrec fixmbr & fixboot (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392). Dell uses everything Microsoft to create their Vista Recovery route (previously used Ghost, etc).

setautofailover /target d: /partition 2

usually works for me. Don't use /wim since Dell's RECOVERY partition has a non-WIM Recovery Environment... but their factory restore image is WIM. Their non-WIM RE will automatically run to restore factory.wim into the last visible partition. So if your last visible partition is DATA.. and not OS... then it's going to get overriden. To avoid this, you'll need to use ptedit.exe and hide your DATA partition... so that your OS partition is the last visible partition.

Currently am building up my own factory.wim and going to replace Dell's factory.wim file. Lucky I made a backup image of the RECOVERY partition so I can play about with it on the laptop.

Other ideas is to use BartPE... and Drive Image XML. BartPE can be installed in the RECOVERY partition clean... and Drive Image XML of the OS partition (or use your favourate hard drive image program).

Hi there!

I'm pretty new to this dell problem, but i have already read a lot and i DO want to retrive Dell's F8 Repair Computer option. Witch steps should i fallow from this guide you pointed? All?

I tried to simply run "setautofailover /target d: /partition 3" (diskpart shows RECOVERY - D: partition as partition 3) and the recovery option does appear on the F8 menu, but boots to a vista login screen that asks for BOTH login and password, witch i do not have!

Please help me! i really need the DSR working again!

• 11 months later...
yeah, I noticed that when I ran PCrestore.exe (from windows) and it said that factory.wim was missing. I put it then on the dell/image dir and ran it again. This time it ran properly and went ahead and asked me if I wanted to install it and it'd reformat c:, bla bla.... I didn't do it of course.

However, when run from the winre environment, clicking on the menu for the Dell option or running PCrestore.exe from command doesn't do anything at all.

Any other ideas guys?

It is most likely a mismatch between a 64-bit WinRE version and 32-bit PCRestore.exe or vice versa, I read and followed all the instructions in this thread and found the same problem, I am now in need of a 64-bit version of the Dell PCRestore.exe file. I'll be deeply grateful to the user who can share his copy of the file. :) Edited by Arhilladus

yeah, I noticed that when I ran PCrestore.exe (from windows) and it said that factory.wim was missing. I put it then on the dell/image dir and ran it again. This time it ran properly and went ahead and asked me if I wanted to install it and it'd reformat c:, bla bla.... I didn't do it of course.

However, when run from the winre environment, clicking on the menu for the Dell option or running PCrestore.exe from command doesn't do anything at all.

Any other ideas guys?

It is most likely a mismatch between a 64-bit WinRE version and 32-bit PCRestore.exe or vice versa, I read and followed all the instructions in this thread and found the same problem, I am now in need of a 64-bit version of the Dell PCRestore.exe file. I'll be deeply grateful to the user who can share his copy of the file. :)

The files inside the Dell recovery partition are not redistributable.

The files inside the Dell recovery partition are not redistributable.
Yes, I suspected that, so I went ahead and contacted Dell, they were happy to send me a replacement HDD with a fully functional Recovery Partition and I returned my original Drive. So my particular problem was eliminated rather than solved! :thumbup

:hello:

I use Acronis True Image secure zone in my laptop and with the loader to hit F11 it comes very handy as I'm always making changes/tests on that laptop...

However, be sure to have an image backup and a bootable cd in case the hdd dies.

• 2 months later...
Has anyone got further in this "Create Your Own Dell Recovery Partition" project?

For anyone wishing to retrieve Dell's F8 Repair Computer option, then follow the instructions using setautofailover.cmd (WAIK tool) from http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/winvistare.htm - If you messed up your MBR then you can use Vista's CD Repair feature and use bootrec fixmbr & fixboot (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392). Dell uses everything Microsoft to create their Vista Recovery route (previously used Ghost, etc).

usually works for me. Don't use /wim since Dell's RECOVERY partition has a non-WIM Recovery Environment... but their factory restore image is WIM. Their non-WIM RE will automatically run to restore factory.wim into the last visible partition. So if your last visible partition is DATA.. and not OS... then it's going to get overriden. To avoid this, you'll need to use ptedit.exe and hide your DATA partition... so that your OS partition is the last visible partition.

Currently am building up my own factory.wim and going to replace Dell's factory.wim file. Lucky I made a backup image of the RECOVERY partition so I can play about with it on the laptop.

Other ideas is to use BartPE... and Drive Image XML. BartPE can be installed in the RECOVERY partition clean... and Drive Image XML of the OS partition (or use your favourate hard drive image program).

Hi there!

I'm pretty new to this dell problem, but i have already read a lot and i DO want to retrive Dell's F8 Repair Computer option. Witch steps should i fallow from this guide you pointed? All?

I tried to simply run "setautofailover /target d: /partition 3" (diskpart shows RECOVERY - D: partition as partition 3) and the recovery option does appear on the F8 menu, but boots to a vista login screen that asks for BOTH login and password, witch i do not have!

Please help me! i really need the DSR working again!

Hi,

I am in the same situation and I would like to restore retrieve my 'repair computer option' to boot at the Factory.wim image.

did you succeed with the above commands, and what steps you actually did to achieve it?

thanks for your help

Hi,

I would be interesting not just to retrieve the dell restore (see previous reply) but also to create my new Factory.wim. I am going to install windows7 soon so I was wondering if I could after installed with proper drivers and programs, create my own new Factory partition and add it at the F8 menu to fast recovering...

please can you advise me/ guide me in this procedure??

Thank you very much in advance

• 1 month later...
I know I am referancing to the OPK docs but I would assume that the same docs are included within the WAIK as there is little difference between them.

RE is disabled in the WAIK.

True, I had to register in order to be able to download the OPK.

http://oem.microsoft.com/downloads/C1EFA75...OPK_English.img

try this link, dunno if it will work but worth a try eh?? I just registered and stored the target url

This is a copy of the file that I use as my recovery.

if you use this and the WINREConfig.xml file this will add the bottom option to the recovery screen.

My recovery exe. doesn't actually do anything all it does is call a batch file called recovery.bat so you can from that launch anything you want but it made it easier for me to change what I had done at any time as I cannot write executables. I did use autoit though and launched a conferm yes/no box and then called imagex to software the drive.

Hope this is of some help to someone.

Robbo

I was wondering if recovery.exe was made using bat2exe file creator?? or something similar, would it be possible to get the source code for the recovery.exe???

also, is it possible to clean a partition without wiping the whole disk?? diskpart clean, cleans the whole disk, i want to keep the recovery partition and the storage partition and only re-apply the image to C:. I was thinking about backing up the mbr also, and add an option in recover.bat if need be??

Edited by graham6282

Watch This Video

It shows how to make a free hidden recovery partition using imagex, WinPE 2.0 and some opensource software. This is based on Microsofts OPK but improved by using the authors customizations.

Beware, Imagex does not support Windows XP, and expect about a 15% failure on recovery.

However, this topic is about Vista, not XP.

• 2 weeks later...
trinitegq

Here is a copy of my winreconfig.xml file that I use to add the recovery option to the recovery menu.

WINREConfig.xml

<Recovery>
<RecoveryTools>
<RelativeFilePath>OEG\recovery.exe</RelativeFilePath>
</RecoveryTools>
</Recovery>

The file is found under \sources\recovery\tools

The reletive file path is where this file is stored so my exe in this case is in \sources\recovery\tools\oeg\recovery.exe

as it states in the microsoft documets WINRE

The logo and description must be in the exe file as thats where it is extracted from

I used a basic compiler to create my exe, think I used QuickBFCbut it was some time ago so cannot remember.

hope this helps somewhat.

Robbo

Here's what i have done so far.

Created an unattended Vista install using this unattended script

Autounattend.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
<settings pass="windowsPE">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<InputLocale>en-GB</InputLocale>
<SystemLocale>en-GB</SystemLocale>
<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>
<UserLocale>en-GB</UserLocale>
<SetupUILanguage>
<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>
</SetupUILanguage>
<UILanguageFallback></UILanguageFallback>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<DiskConfiguration>
<Disk wcm:action="add">
<CreatePartitions>
<CreatePartition wcm:action="add">
<Size>8000</Size>
<Order>1</Order>
<Type>Primary</Type>
</CreatePartition>
<Order>2</Order>
<Type>Primary</Type>
<Size>40000</Size>
</CreatePartition>
<Order>4</Order>
<Type>Logical</Type>
<Size>5000</Size>
</CreatePartition>
<Order>3</Order>
<Type>Extended</Type>
<Extend>true</Extend>
</CreatePartition>
</CreatePartitions>
<ModifyPartitions>
<ModifyPartition wcm:action="add">
<Label>Recovery</Label>
<Letter>R</Letter>
<Order>1</Order>
<PartitionID>1</PartitionID>
<Active>false</Active>
<Format>NTFS</Format>
</ModifyPartition>
<Letter>C</Letter>
<Order>2</Order>
<PartitionID>2</PartitionID>
<Label>Local Disk</Label>
<Format>NTFS</Format>
<Active>true</Active>
</ModifyPartition>
<Order>3</Order>
<Letter>D</Letter>
<Format>NTFS</Format>
<Label>Storage Disk</Label>
<PartitionID>3</PartitionID>
<Extend>true</Extend>
<Active>false</Active>
</ModifyPartition>
</ModifyPartitions>
<DiskID>0</DiskID>
<WillWipeDisk>true</WillWipeDisk>
</Disk>
<WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
</DiskConfiguration>
<Display>
<ColorDepth>32</ColorDepth>
<HorizontalResolution>1024</HorizontalResolution>
<VerticalResolution>768</VerticalResolution>
<RefreshRate>60</RefreshRate>
</Display>
<ImageInstall>
<OSImage>
<InstallTo>
<DiskID>0</DiskID>
<PartitionID>2</PartitionID>
</InstallTo>
</OSImage>
</ImageInstall>
<UserData>
<AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula>
<ProductKey>
<Key>*****-*****-*****-*****-*****</Key>
</ProductKey>
</UserData>
<Restart>Restart</Restart>
</component>
</settings>
<settings pass="oobeSystem">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Deployment" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<Reseal>
<Mode>Audit</Mode>
</Reseal>
</component>
</settings>
<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:e:/vista/setup/sources/install.wim#Windows Vista HOMEPREMIUM" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
</unattend>

I may want to change recovery partition to FAT32?? still undecided?? I used setautofailover.cmd but it will not work if ntldr is missing etc. so i need to use winpe boot disk to recover anyway so what is the point?? Which is why i am thinking about editing the mbr.

In \sources\recovery\tools\ from the winre.wim (once mounted : imagex /mountrw c:\winreimage\winre.wim 1 c:\winremount INFO )

Created a folder "oeg" that has these files in it...

recovery.exe from recovery.zip, thanks Robbo for that

choice.exe, copied from system32 folder (although i don't know if this is needed)

imagex.exe AND wimgapi.dll copied from AIK/OPK (needed????)

format_c.txt

select disk 0
select partition 2
format fs=ntfs label="Local Disk" quick
exit

set_recovery_letter.txt (winpe always changes recovery drive letter so this just creates absolute drive letter)

select disk 0
select partition 1
assign letter r
exit

and recover.bat

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@ @@
@@ MASTER IMAGE DEPLOYMENT @@
@@ @@
@@ Title : recover.bat @@
@@ @@
@@ Author : Graham Brown @@
@@ @@
@@ Parent : n/a @@
@@ @@
@@ Purpose : Deploy master backup image to C: @@
@@ @@
@@ Comments : @@
@@ @@
@@ @@
@@ @@

@ECHO OFF

@@ SECTION: Variables

SET title=DEPLOY MASTER BACKUP IMAGE

SET local_disk=C:
SET recovery_disk=R:

SET script_dir=%0\..
SET format_c=format_c.txt
SET set_recovery_letter=set_recovery_letter.txt
SET image_name=master_backup.wim

@@ SECTION: Display Title

cls

ECHO.
ECHO %title%
ECHO.

ECHO Do you want to restore the master backup image ??
ECHO.
%script_dir%\CHOICE /C:YN

IF ERRORLEVEL 2 GOTO END
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO CONTINUE

:CONTINUE

ECHO.
ECHO This will delete all data on C: Are you sure?
ECHO.
%script_dir%\CHOICE /C:YN

IF ERRORLEVEL 2 GOTO END
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO PREP

:PREP

@@ SECTION: Prepare Hard Disk

cls

ECHO.
ECHO **** PREPARE HARD DISK ****
ECHO.

diskpart /s %script_dir%\%format_c%

@@ SECTION: Apply Image to C:

cls

ECHO.
ECHO **** APPLY IMAGE ****
ECHO.

diskpart /s %script_dir%\%set_recovery_letter%
%script_dir%\imagex /apply %recovery_disk%\images\%image_name% 1 %local_disk%

@@ SECTION: Reboot computer

cls

ECHO.
ECHO When you are ready to reboot the computer,
pause

ECHO **** REBOOT ****

wpeutil reboot

:END

pause

exit.

unmount winre.wim : imagex.exe /unmount /commit c:\winremount INFO

This should re-apply master_backup.wim to your C: without touching any other partition on your system. I have not done much testing however so if you would like to use this information and post reply's i would be grateful. I will reply with my findings too.

I am also looking into the possibility of editing, backing up, or re-applying the mbr although i don't know much about it to be honest. Also to use the SELM function to use f11 or similar

Sorry if this post is a wee bit hard to understand, i started, then added things, then changed things lol.

Edited by graham6282