Enable Intel AHCI under XP [Case Closed => read second last post]

• 3 weeks later...

In step 2 wouldn't it be simpler to just replace all instances of 2922 with 2923? No other changes of the IAAHCI.INF file would be needed. Or, am I missing something?

That would also eliminate any confusion when people can't find the line PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2923&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel® 82801HR/HH/HO SATA AHCI Controller" because Intel has updated the drivers.

Edited by bondiablo

• 4 weeks later...

That would also eliminate any confusion when people can't find the line PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2923&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel® 82801HR/HH/HO SATA AHCI Controller" because Intel has updated the drivers.

Well, it's just the display name in the device manager. It's not needed to edit that but it's just the finishing touch.

I would have expected that people already switched to Vista or Windows 7 and that this topic would have been dead by now (note that support for XP is going down by the day and that for example the new live messenger won't be working (unless you hack it yes) on XP. That as a side note).

MDGx made it simple i hope ;).

If I need to update the first post, let me know by PM.

Just an FYI, Intel has enabled AHCI with their latest chipset drivers, version 9.1.1.1025. No more need to manually enable the Microsoft generic sata driver. I had to manually update each component via device manager, as setup wouldn't do it for some reason.

I have the G33/ICH9 chipset and it works fine.

Someone probably already mentioned this, but I'm not going to read 13 pages to find out.

Edited by SyntaxError

• 2 months later...

Now I was assuming this was enabling winxp under win xp even post installation...say years later....

I did all the steps.. booted to bios in my GA-P35-GS3L - goto bios - anable AHCI, then reboot, change the boot up drives because they need to be moved around...then i reboot...BSOD everytime.

But in device manpost-299136-127992169375_thumb.jpgager everything is already installed...how could i force them to disappear and re-install themselves while I am in windows.

I have 3 SATA devices total.

1 320 drive

1 160 drive that WinXP was cloned from...previous drive was 80 gig IDE drive.

1 DVDRW Asus drive.

Edited by alphazoom

Now I was assuming this was enabling winxp under win xp even post installation...say years later....

Hello alphazoom, welcome to the forums. The first post in the topic hasn't been updated lately but try MDGx tool first. I hope that helps. It seems that Intel has been updating the drivers.

Hello alphazoom, welcome to the forums. The first post in the topic hasn't been updated lately but try MDGx tool first. I hope that helps. It seems that Intel has been updating the drivers.

Thanks, I'll try that and see if I get BSOD again....

If I do, I may need a WINXP repair install from all the crap I've loaded this comp up with but I can't format...too much stuff I've saved drive to drive.

Update.... I managed to get the SATA AHCI bios fully installed thanks to this link...although something is still wrong with my SATA main drive... CHKDSK is finding many errors and correcting them, but when i try to navigate large folders, it locks up and disappears....but it doesn't disappear like before using NON-AHCI mode. Then...it used to completely disappear from win explorer, now I see the drive but it's really not there.

Here are the errors I get now.

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation. - 51

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur. - 57

The device, \Device\Harddisk1\D, is not ready for access yet. - 15

So, using the SATA interface in Native mode the drive got worse for some reason. I think perhaps because it worked before after windows made it run in pio mode or ultra dma 4...something slower....I'd at least have access to the drive unlike in AHCI mode.... I'm just glad I got the SATA mode to work as it was just bugging me I couldn't. Now, If I go back to Non-AHCI mode I'll see what happens... I may need a new HD. Especially if CHKDSK is finding errors.

So, I ran the ultimate boot CD and ran a surface test and the drive becomes "not ready" for whatever reason where as no other drive exhibits this behavior. Even though the HD is not totally dead....thankfully...it's still on it's way out. The sad part, is that my older 160 gig IDE drive has 42k hours on it compared to this 320 gig drive@26k hours.

I went back to non AHCI because the drive seems more stable unless I really stress it out. But...time will tell... gonna look into replacing it with a better drive anyhow. I think perhaps another 320 or 500 with 16mb cache on it. The only reason I like smaller drives is because there's less to backup and less to lose when the drive take a dump...which they eventually always do.

Edited by alphazoom

I went back to non AHCI because the drive seems more stable unless I really stress it out. But...time will tell... gonna look into replacing it with a better drive anyhow. I think perhaps another 320 or 500 with 16mb cache on it. The only reason I like smaller drives is because there's less to backup and less to lose when the drive take a dump...which they eventually always do.

Check out the 1TB drives; most of them are almost at the same price level as a 500GB these days.

• 1 month later...

Edit (correct Intel driver + links):

[thank you theshadowrunner for pointing out the confusion :wacko:]

Hi every1,

From what I'm aware the unofficial Intel SATA/AHCI/RAID motherboard-based controller fix for XP is not necessary anymore, because Intel finally enabled that feature natively in their drivers. :thumbup

Note:

To install/test the Intel driver, it is recommended to uninstall/delete the unofficial driver (if any) first and then reboot.

Unofficial driver fix installs its files into the %windir%\IAHCI [%windir% = usually C:\WINDOWS] folder. Just delete all those files and reboot.

Therefore starting with Intel Storage Manager Driver version 9.6.0.1014 all one needs to do is:

1. Reboot.

2. Press Del, Esc, F1, F2, F3, F4 or F8 (see your motherboard documentation for specific key) to enter BIOS setup while your computer's initial POST (Power On Self Test) screen is still on -> change both settings below (if any) to match the values inside square brackets:

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode [AHCI]

SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode [Enabled]

Both these settings must be enabled *before* installing the driver in order for Intel setup to properly recognize AHCI/RAID hardware.

3. Reboot back to Windows.

4. Install current Intel Storage Manager Driver from here [11.2 MB, multilanguage].

This driver installs iastore.sys and enables AHCI/RAID modes if enabled hardware is detected at install time.

5. Reboot 1 last time.

This should (hopefully) work for every mobo based on Intel 9xx/3x/4x/5x chipset series.

Please see Intel ReadMe text for more info.

... And just in case the official Intel driver doesn't work, I'm keeping the unofficial driver fix at my site.

If any1 has problems with the mobo, SATA controllers or hard drives while AHCI is enabled, you can disable it easily:

go back into BIOS setup and disable/change any of those 2 settings [see #2 above].

Could disable both, wont't hurt anything, but this feature requires both enabled, otherwise cannot work.

PS:

I was also getting BSODs and STOP errors in XP [especially with AHCI enabled] with my old mobo [Gigabyte P35-DS3L], took me a while to figure out what was wrong, turned out to be a faulty capacitor. ;-(

I got a replacement [Gigabyte EP43-UD3L], and never looked back. Everything works 100% with or without AHCI enabled, even if overclocked. ;-)

XP forums (super)mods...

Since this issue has been finally resolved, I propose to close this topic.

Thanks for caring.

HTH

Best wishes,

MDGx

• 8 years later...

Well, the circle is closed and MSFN, with all such a great members here, gave a immeasurable support to mantain XP alive.

Thank you.

Also update some broken guide links could be helpful to preserve installation/use of XP

The links provided here are unreachable: a re-link to this guide can adjust it.  

Edited by Vistaboy

• dencorso changed the title to Enable Intel AHCI under XP [Case Closed => read second last post]