WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) for Windows 98SE 1.1

I've been trying to get this to work in Windows 2000, another OS that never had WIA or PTP support.

I've sort of given up on it, as I can't get it to function properly, even using XP files, but I have got it installed on Windows 98SE (dual boot machine) and I do have a couple of questions about that.

It has installed and seems to work fine on Windows 98 of course, but one thing the installer did (it's in the inf file) was delete my sticpl.cpl file so I now have no applet for imaging devices in my Windows 98 Control Panel.

What it has done is add an entry {E211B736-43FD-11D1-9EFB-0000F8757FCD} in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace.

This is labelled "Scanners & Cameras".

It's also in the equivalent "MyComputer" key, and has worked there, with an extra icon in "My Computer".

It did the same thing in Windows 2000, and a new Scanners and Cameras applet appeared in the Windows 2000 Control Panel, as well as in "My Computer".

This hasn't happened in Windows 98 though, and I can't see why.

I have done some research on this, and although I couldn't find anything conclusive, I'm wondering if this ControlPanel\NameSpace function actually works in Windows 98. Presumably it does in Windows ME?!

There are no other entries there.

I'm wondering if this was overlooked, and the cpl file should not have been deleted in Windows 98.

The other thing is that my scanner (an elderly Epson GT5500) works fine with the new system, but it won't recognise my new Nikon digital camera, either as itself, or as a generic device.

Is there any way of adding it to the database and getting it to work, so at least I can use it properly in Windows 98 even if I can't in Windows 2000?

The camera has no mass storage mode, only PTP, like all current Nikon cameras apparently.

This is a problem for those using legacy operating systems like myself.

The stock answer from Nikon is to just use a card reader, which I can and do of course, but it would be nice to get the camera talking to the computer properly!

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks, Dave.

:)

Just one minor suggestion: get sticpl.cpl from your backup and put it back. It ought to just work.

Thanks Den!

:hello:

That's exactly what I have done, and it does seem to be OK.

I was just a bit puzzled why it was deleted in the first place, especially as its "replacement" doesn't seem to work!

I was wondering if anyone else using this patch could confirm this, or whether it's just an issue on my system.

:)

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I use it and it works find with my Fujifilm Finepix AV200 digital camera.

I would like others input before I add it.

Its real simple to add, but I don't want it causing problems. If you have notice I have almost all unofficial updates.

They have been tested over the years thoroughly.

I already tolled that my Fujifilm Finepix AV200 digital camera. works with it, but off course I needed a ptp driver. And I got the software

delivered with this camera. I also searched for a ptp driver especially for windows 98 I could not find one. But I got one from Fuji.

There are drivers for windows xp and up.

I installed wia on my system for certain older scanners and digital cams. Newer digital cams need a ptp driver. I have ptpusb.dll is the

ptp driver ptpusd.dll seems to be a ptp wia mini driver. I also installed mtp it creates a directory wmsdk I do not know what this directory

does actually. I searched with mtp*.* on my windows drive but found nothing. Wmsdk is installed on another drive letter.

So, are saying that you are able to test

Media Transfer Protocol + Picture Transfer Protocol + Windows Image Acquisition?

If you are then I will send you and jds a package. I will only release it to people that can actually test it.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I installed them all three. I could only test ptp, because I needed it with my digital cam, tot transfer pictures to my pc.

I have wia 1.1 installed on my system and mtp. When I installed mtp it added SET MTPPKROOT=F:\WMSDK\MTPPK12\Responder

to my autoexec.bat. I have tested ptp already and it worked with finepixviewer from Fuji to get my picures on my pc.

I do not know if I can test wia, because I do not have the devices for that, you also need the right devices to test mtp of course.

There are digital camera's which use wia or they use ptp. There are scanners which use wia. I do not know that scanners

use ptp. I also do not know exactly for which devices they use mtp.

I installed them all three. I could only test ptp, because I needed it with my digital cam, tot transfer pictures to my pc.

I have wia 1.1 installed on my system and mtp. When I installed mtp it added SET MTPPKROOT=F:\WMSDK\MTPPK12\Responder

to my autoexec.bat. I have tested ptp already and it worked with finepixviewer from Fuji to get my picures on my pc.

I do not know if I can test wia, because I do not have the devices for that, you also need the right devices to test mtp of course.

There are digital camera's which use wia or they use ptp. There are scanners which use wia. I do not know that scanners

use ptp. I also do not know exactly for which devices they use mtp.

AFAIK, MTP is a super-set of PTP (well, at least, it supersedes it and I believe it is backward-compatible with PTP devices).

One issue though - Fredledingue says his other TWAIN devices disappeared after installing WIA. If that's the case, I won't risk installing WIA, as it was extremely difficult getting my TWAIN stuff from HP to work in the first place!

Joe.