Kernel Processor Power - Warning Msgs

VoODoOChilD

Can anyone interpret the following for me and what i must do?

"The speed of processor 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report."

"The speed of processor 1 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report."

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power" Guid="{0f67e49f-fe51-4e9f-b490-6f2948cc6027}" />

<EventID>7</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-04-12T01:13:03.793Z" />

<EventRecordID>13812</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="52" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>xXxSentinelxXx</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data Name="Processor">0</Data>

<Data Name="CapDurationInSeconds">71</Data>

<Data Name="PpcChanges">1</Data>

<Data Name="TpcChanges">0</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

(This seems to happening at every reboot)

Anyhelp would be must appreciated! :)

The error is coming from an INT call to the BIOS for processor functionality, and a response is being generated that your processor speeds are being limited from full capacity by the motherboard - either for thermal reasons, or because there's some other issue and the processors are faulting. It's time to contact the motherboard vendor and see if there's a BIOS update or firmware update that might address this...

• 4 months later...

If you're running on a laptop there may be a simpler answer.

It took me awhile to find a possible answer but here's a couple of links that offer good explanations:

http://blogs.msdn.com/richardt/archive/200...-frequency.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/richardt/archive/200...-frequency.aspx

The Maximum Frequency is used primarily in laptop/notebook/tablet/etc systems that may be run off battery only power. The power management configuration on modern devices allows the system to throttle the CPU - literally reduce its operating speed. Slowing the speed down reduces the energy consumption to extend battery life but will decrease operating performance as the CPU will take longer to execute commands.

If your system doesn't utilize a battery source, then the power management (if it even exists on non-battery systems) should have Max CPU set to 100% for all power profiles (as the system is running on constant a/c power) and, therefore, the Resource Monitor will always show Maximum Frequency at 100%.

So, if your system is like mine, I found that the power management utility had Maximum CPU set to 50% for both On A/C AND On Battery. Once I changed the On A/C to 100% in all power profiles the events disappeared.

respectfully,

- me -