How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

ok, so if I create a 4gb partition in the beginning of the drive it should work?

also, rather than reinstall right now, is there a way to fix the mbr so that it can boot without the usb drive in, what is it I am doing wrong on my install that makes it unable to boot without the usb, when should I remove the usb drive?

as I said, I did it right once, but can't remember what I did

I need the Q1 for a trip in a few days and would like everything to work for a bit, I will resume tinkering later

To fix boot- allow showing hidden and protected OS files (control panel->folder options->view), open up BOOT.INI in C:\ in Notepad and post it here.

What message do you get when you boot without the USB stick?

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.

Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.

Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

boot ini

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Sorry,but i get this

grubinst.exe could not make a backup of MBR

How do i get a MBR on my sd card?

Are you using a SD card through a USB adapter?

Most (read ALL ;)) USB card adapters are set as "Removable".

Thus creating a MBR on them it's not that easy.

I cannot say if the HP USB utility or PEtoUSB can "work" with SD cards through USB. :unsure:, that would be the first thing to try.

You may want to try an indirect approach:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5000

not easy, not straightforward, but it should work.

jaclaz

Sorry,but i get this

grubinst.exe could not make a backup of MBR

How do i get a MBR on my sd card?

WinSetupFromUSB log file would help. You could find the last one in program directory, or the previous ones in \backups\date-time-log.cab.

Hi,

I'm trying to use WinSetupFromUSB to add UBCD4Win to my USB pen (8 GB): set as Removable, NTFS formatted with HP tool.

Tested on my laptop (Vista Home Premium 32 bit), it says "Bootmgr is missing. Type CTRL+ALT+CANC to reboot"

I'm not so expert, but does not bootmgr refer to Vista bootloader ? :blink:

I seem to be in a loop between reading the help, running my setup, reading the help, running my setup, etc.

Any help is warmly appreciated!

I have my UFD setup using WinSetupFromUSB 0.1.1.

I was able to boot from UFD and get into the Windows XP SP2 Blue text-based Setup screen . However, XP Setup was unable to see my internal HD. I am on a laptop with one internal HD and 3 partitions. I want to run the XP Setup non-destructive repair feature on internal HD partition (1).

My nLite install includes the Intel SATA drivers and works from CD. I have made sure I did NOT select "Operating System Options-->Manual Install and Upgrade for removal" during the nLite setup.

My XPSetup from UFD (when it was working) only sees the single partition on the UFD. I have read (many times) the help section on rdisks but am still not getting success. After changing the rdisk to (0) and (1) I am no longer able to get to the first XP Setup screen. With rdisk(0), I get the missing HAL.dll error message, With rdisk(1), I get a screen telling me "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk".

Any help is appreciated! :rolleyes:

Thank you!

My nLite install includes the Intel SATA drivers and works from CD. I have made sure I did NOT select "Operating System Options-->Manual Install and Upgrade for removal" during the nLite setup.

I don't get it. :unsure:

You need to repair your laptop install?

Do you have a CD working on the laptop?

If yes, use it, if no, how can you say that the build works from CD on the specific laptop? :w00t:

Can you change in BIOS the settings for SATA to "IDE compatibility mode" or the like?

Or is it a "philosophical" kind of questions, and you are testing it "just in case"?

jaclaz

Hi,

I'm trying to use WinSetupFromUSB to add UBCD4Win to my USB pen (8 GB): set as Removable, NTFS formatted with HP tool.

Tested on my laptop (Vista Home Premium 32 bit), it says "Bootmgr is missing. Type CTRL+ALT+CANC to reboot"

I'm not so expert, but does not bootmgr refer to Vista bootloader ? :blink:

Did you run WinSetupFromUSB under Vista? HP format tool makes Vista bootsector in this case, which is looking for BOOTMGR. WinSetupFromUSB is supposed to replace this bootsector with grub4dos one, which executes GRLDR.

What are contents of the USB stick? Can you post also your WinSetupFromUSB.log file, zipped and attached? Look at the previous post of mine where to find it. Or did you run only HP format tool, without copying UBCD4Win contents?

I was able to boot from UFD and get into the Windows XP SP2 Blue text-based Setup screen . However, XP Setup was unable to see my internal HD. I am on a laptop with one internal HD and 3 partitions. I want to run the XP Setup non-destructive repair feature on internal HD partition (1).

To perform the repair install you need an extra line in BOOT.INI on the internal disk.

For example if this is the current boot.ini:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

you need to add another line at the bottom:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="USB repair, NOT to start Windows

Then Setup will recognize the existing installation. This is if Windows is in the first partition.

You may add that line using UBCD4Win for example.

My XPSetup from UFD (when it was working) only sees the single partition on the UFD. I have read (many times) the help section on rdisks but am still not getting success. After changing the rdisk to (0) and (1) I am no longer able to get to the first XP Setup screen. With rdisk(0), I get the missing HAL.dll error message, With rdisk(1), I get a screen telling me "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk".
Why are you entering step 2 (GUI mode) of the setup at all? Didn't you want to perform repair install? Edited by ilko_t

Did you run WinSetupFromUSB under Vista?

Yes.

What are contents of the USB stick?

I only formatted to NTFS and added UBCD4Win contents, nothing else.

Just another question: does Qemu test work on Vista ? When I try to run, it gives me an error - event viewer says there was a problem with ntdll.dll -

:hello:

log.zip