How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

I just used Beta 3... didn't notice beta 4. But for some reason all of the boot files were not placed on the root of my usb drive. They were placed in the same folder as winsetupfromusb. I tried to make a usb stick with win7... then I attempted to do the same with XP. Neither method placed the files on the root of the usb drive. :(

I did have a menu.lst file on the root. It also had a reference to a usb tag file... but that tag file was not on the root either.

I've just use 1.0 beta 3 to make a XP sp3 install into a SDHC card.

I simply follow the steps, format to fat32 with RMPREUSB, then make my XP SP3 setup directory into the SD card. I didn't add anything else(PE, Win7, ubcd etc.), everything is ok. But when I try install XP with it on a IBM Thinkpad R40e, the initialization step was very slow. I mean before I can choose which partition to install the system and agree the EULA, loading the driver and kernel files are very slow. Slow as like it's not working. Is it normal?

My SDHC card is capable of 20MB/s reading with big chunk. Is this problem of the usb driver or bios support?

On another PC with Sempron 2000+ and 1G ram install, the very similar situation occur. The initialization step the "The setup is inspecting your hardware configuration" step take tooooooo long to complete, the same for the driver and kernel loading stage. When install from CD-rom, it's far more faster.

Thank you.

I've just use 1.0 beta 3 to make a XP sp3 install into a SDHC card.

I simply follow the steps, format to fat32 with RMPREUSB, then make my XP SP3 setup directory into the SD card. I didn't add anything else(PE, Win7, ubcd etc.), everything is ok. But when I try install XP with it on a IBM Thinkpad R40e, the initialization step was very slow. I mean before I can choose which partition to install the system and agree the EULA, loading the driver and kernel files are very slow. Slow as like it's not working. Is it normal?

My SDHC card is capable of 20MB/s reading with big chunk. Is this problem of the usb driver or bios support?

On another PC with Sempron 2000+ and 1G ram install, the very similar situation occur. The initialization step the "The setup is inspecting your hardware configuration" step take tooooooo long to complete, the same for the driver and kernel loading stage. When install from CD-rom, it's far more faster.

Thank you.

Most likely both machines support booting from USB on lower speeds, not 2.0.

Have you tried loading PLoP boot manager first, selecting USB in its menu and then starting the Setup again?

Hmm, very weird. Can you attach WinSetupFromUSB.log ?

I'll have to get ahold of my brother. I was remoted into his laptop when I was trying to create a USB setup for him. I'm sure I still have the log there. I know he is running Windows 7 on his laptop. I do remember running WinSetupFromUSB as administrator as well.

Not sure if this could be the issue... but He had the Windows 7 files on his usb hard drive in a folder called Win7. I just pointed to that folder then had it install them to the root of his drive (The same Drive).

But his Windows XP was on a disk. I tried adding it after windows 7. But with both I noticed the boot files were only found in the folder with winsetupfromusb. :(

Edited by Siginet

I am afraid I won't be able to track this down without a log file. I've checked the code numerous times and tested latest betas on many computers with XP and 7 x64, none gave similar issue.

Did you try beta4? The character E shouldn't cause a problem.

Yes it goes further (haven't tested whole installation but it is now starting at least). Thanks.

Edit.... I've spoken late but yet too soon.

It worked with my SP1 set of files (I was swapping HDDs for that thing and tried to be fast). But my SP3 still stops with your beta4 with different error (at same moment):

map --mem /WINSETUP/XP Édition familialeduSP3pourÉdition familiale.ISO (0xff)

Error 15: File Not Found.

Weird because it's just the same :}

productname = "Windows XP dition familiale"

spcdname = "CD du Service Pack 3 pour Windows XP dition familiale".

Edited by Ponch

Here is the log from adding the WinXP Setup to the USB.

I no longer had access to the Win7 log.

It's a bug which shows up only if the program is placed in the same disk and partition, which is being prepared. Going to fix it in a few hours and post beta4 on the first page.

Thank, nice catch, it's been like this since the first versions of the program and there were no reports for it. I guess very few people place the program on the USB disk they are preparing for installation :)

Thank you, ilko_t.

I'll try to boot with a usb 2.0 capable machine.

I've got another question.

If I'd like to add multiple XP/Win7 installtion into same SD card, say that I'd like to place two languages edition XP or one x86 and one x64 XP installation into one SD card, can I simple add one directory once and then the next again? The same for Win7?The same for PE and ubcd? Can I mixed multiple XPs and multiple Win7s in one SD card(probably a stupid question)?

Your little project is great, thank you very much.

Multiple 2000/XP/2003 is fine, when program completes just select the next source and GO, everything is done automatically, no need to relaunch the program.

Multiple PE type (BartPE, UBCD4Win, WinFLPC, WinBuilder) in the same partition- no.

Multiple Vista/7/Server 2008 in the same partition- no.

All this is actually in the first post in this thread, please refer to it :)

I'll try to boot with a usb 2.0 capable machine.
Mind you, most if not all modern machines support USB 2.0, but many (still) boot from USB on lower speeds, USB 1.1 etc. Once USB driver takes control, you are flying again.

A few years back I wrote to Gigabyte's tech support asking them why and if they had intentions to start supporting USB 2.0 boot in several motherboards- after several emails, until we clear up what the issue actually was, I was told "sorry, we have no plans to make changes in order to support USB 2.0 boot".

I guess, if there is enough interest and pressure from customers, they will start thinking in this direction, eventually.

hey. i hope you can help me, but always when i want to install WIN XP HOME it says that \txtsetup.sif is buggy. it says as well the line which is supposed to be corrupt.

i already did the tutorial a couple of times, just the line which is supposed to be buggy changes :(

Could you attach txtsetup.sif and mention which line exactly is mentioned?

i already did the tutorial a couple of times
Which tutorial?
just the line which is supposed to be buggy changes
On every attempt for setup the line number changes? Is that what you mean?

Do you have problems with other Windows sources?

What program and version are you using?