How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

What I did was changed the folder names from example...XPhSP3 to Home and XPpSP3 to Pro XPpSP32 to PROCORP and so on (I have three diff Pros so it gets confusing). I want to take some of the confusion out. I have always used them folder names. When I was multibooting from CD. I changed the lines in setupdata and hex edit my SETUPLDR.BIN(change the I386 part to HOME, PRO1, MCE1 and so on in SETUPLDR.BIN. You can only use 4 to replace I386) I like ilko_t method much better. Anyway if I change the folder name to anything different then the ones the WintoUsb program sets and change the path in setupdata section, the computer install the files to C but on the reboot and the install starts, it stops and says can't find /WINSETUP/XPHSP3 so the path must be defined other than setupdata? I would like to change all path entries from XPhSP3 to HOME and so on and not sure where else they are defind.

Just for the record, Examdiff is Freeware and have similar (or at least "enough") comparison capabilities:

http://www.prestosoft.com/edp_examdiff.asp

jaclaz

KDiff3 is also good for comparing folders and text files. And it's free ;) There's also an explorer plugin for it.

I tried them both along few others in the past, Beyond Compare is for me by far more intuitive, easy and with more options, comes like free as well.

What I did was changed the folder names from example...XPhSP3 to Home and XPpSP3 to Pro XPpSP32 to PROCORP and so on (I have three diff Pros so it gets confusing). I want to take some of the confusion out. I have always used them folder names. When I was multibooting from CD. I changed the lines in setupdata and hex edit my SETUPLDR.BIN(change the I386 part to HOME, PRO1, MCE1 and so on in SETUPLDR.BIN. You can only use 4 to replace I386) I like ilko_t method much better. Anyway if I change the folder name to anything different then the ones the WintoUsb program sets and change the path in setupdata section, the computer install the files to C but on the reboot and the install starts, it stops and says can't find /WINSETUP/XPHSP3 so the path must be defined other than setupdata? I would like to change all path entries from XPhSP3 to HOME and so on and not sure where else they are defind.

Please read again:

The boot group of the USB drivers is also changed. There are also a few lines added to SourceDisksFiles section.

Folder name is tied up to the lines you quoted, winsetup.lst and setup.cmd in \I386 folder.

If you want to go that route- get Beyond Compare:

http://www.scootersoftware.com/

Trial version works for looong time. Compare original txtsetup.sif in the small ISO file and the original in \I386 folder. Compare I386 folder structure on USB disk and in your source. I could be forgetting something.

In short, edit these, if I am not missing something:

1) winsetup.lst

2) txtsetup.sif in the small ISO file

3) setup.cmd in \WINSETUP\XP.....\I386

In short, edit these, if I am not missing something:

1) winsetup.lst

2) txtsetup.sif in the small ISO file

3) setup.cmd in \WINSETUP\XP.....\I386

I rode the short bus growing up! :) I am not sure how I missed the setup.cmd part, sorry. I am with you now. Looks like allot in that setup.cmd file. I may just leave well enough alone. Thanks for all of your help, ilko_t

All I should have to do is replace this line

rem XPhSP3 string is dynamically changed by WinSetupFromUSB when prepariung source
set TAGFILE=\WINSETUP\XPhSP3

with this

rem XPhSP3 string is dynamically changed by WinSetupFromUSB when prepariung source
set TAGFILE=\WINSETUP\Home

Already changed my txtsetup to this

[SetupData]
SetupSourcePath ="\WINSETUP\HOME\"
MajorVersion = 5
MinorVersion = 1
DefaultPath=\WINDOWS
OsLoadOptions = "/fastdetect /noguiboot /nodebug"
ForceScsi = 1
ForceDiskClass = 1
ForceCDRom = 1
Architecture = i386
DriverCabName=driver.cab
ProductType = 0
LoadIdentifier = %wks_id%
LoadIdentifierCancel = %cancel_id%
LoadIdentifierWin9x = %9x_id%
BaseVideoLoadId = %wks_id_vga%
RequiredMemory = 67108864
Pagefile = 115,250
SetupSourceDevice=\ArcName\multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)
BootPath="\WINSETUP\HOME\I386\"
BootDevice="multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)"

My menu.lst entry

title 01. XP Setup With MOST Driver\nOctober 2011
password --md5 $1$A$hzYlFap3SLNNQ/tA7c3.S.
# find the ISO folder by looking for a marker file
debug off
find --set-root /laddsbootusb.tag
clear
echo
# list all files in the /WINSETUP folder so the user can see them
ls ()/WINSETUP/ISO/
echo
# Ask user which iso they want (name is converted to uppercase as /u is specified)
set /p /u install=Enter XP Filename WITH NO .ISO EXTENSION. (ex.HOME ) :
if "%install%"=="" echo No iso file specified! && configfile /menu.lst
clear
# check if user entered a valid filename with no ISO extension!
ls /WINSETUP/ISO/%install%.iso || echo Cannot find /WINSETUP/ISO/%install%.iso !!! && pause --wait=3 && configfile (bd)/menu.lst
echo Loading /WINSETUP/ISO/%install%.iso - please wait ...
#set root drive to USB stick
find --set-root /WINSETUP/ISO/%install%.iso
# run the grub4dos map command and specify the iso file we want to load
map --unmap=0:0xff
map --unhook
ls /WINSETUP/ISO/%install%.iso || find --set-root --ignore-cd /WINSETUP/ISO/%install%.iso
map /WINSETUP/ISO/%install%.iso (0xff) || map --mem /WINSETUP/ISO/%install%.iso (0xff)
savedefault 2
checkrange 0x00,0x01 read 0x8280 && configfile /BOOTWS/fd.lst
checkrange 8 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/8.lst
checkrange 7 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/7.lst
checkrange 6 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/6.lst
checkrange 5 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/5.lst
checkrange 4 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/4.lst
checkrange 3 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/3.lst
checkrange 2 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/2.lst
checkrange 1 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/1.lst
boot

I created a folder called ISO and copied the small iso files there. So when the files were listed so you could type the name of the XP you want to install, it would only show the iso stuff and not everything else. This works like a charm. just type (example) home and off the install goes

Edited by laddanator

what causes setup.cmd to run. Is XP design to run anything in the setup.cmd if present in the I386 folder?

XP is designed to launch setup.exe.

A fake setup.exe is used to lauch setup.cmd.

Source code is at WinSetup\files\winsetup\PyronSetup\setup.c

Pyron created this approach

This version calls presetup.cmd. A new name was chosen to keep old solutions working.

• 2 weeks later...

.I made a grub4dos boot CD to load my USB Sticks menu.lst on older computers. If I boot straight from the USB Stick, XP installs fine (I used the 1.0 beta 7) but if I boot from CD and pass the torch to my USB Stick, XP gives me an error FILE \WINSETUP\HOME\I386\biosinfo.inf cannot be read...error code 14. I have used Plop in the pass to start my USB Stick but its not 100%. Everything I have will load from the USB Stick if I use the BootCD to load the menu.lst except XP. I realize that Grub4Dos was not meant to pass bios codes but just curious if the biosinfo.inf could be altered? Let me repeat. If I boot the computer with the USB Stick, everything including XP loads fine. If I boot with my BootCD and load the menu.lst from USB Stick (I use a tag file) everything but XP will load?

In this case, boot from a CD or other source than the USB disk, there is no ARC path to the USB disk or it's not valid after the grub4dos mappings, Setup error is a bit misleading. There is nothing wrong with biosinfo.inf, it's the wrong path to it and Setup cannot read it.

Need to think a bit in this direction, it's possible the fix is easy.

In this case, boot from a CD or other source than the USB disk, there is no ARC path to the USB disk or it's not valid, Setup error is a bit misleading. There is nothing wrong with biosinfo.inf, it's the wrong path to it and Setup cannot read it.

I just made a Dec Complete XP DVD. I will use it for plan B. I hope Grub4Dos will in the future maybe pass the ARC to USB. I was hoping this to be a better alternative to PLop. On XP machines, I have found it's 50-50 if they will boot USB and Vista and up like 95-10. If I have a Vista or Win 7 not boot to USB for some strange reason, the Grub4Dos CD loads my USB menu.lst and Vista or 7 install fine. I make a AIO XP DVD but I have to hex the Setupldr.bin to match my folder name (can only use 4 letters and or numbers). Of course I have to change the path in txtsetup.sif like your program. I like booting and using USB, much faster but nothing is as reliable as CD or DVD booting.

What if the biosinfo file was added to the small ISO to load to memory and hook it that way?

Maybe add a line to the path in the fd.lst?

Edited by laddanator

What if the biosinfo file was added to the small ISO to load to memory and hook it that way?

Wouldn't help. Setup will complain about the next file, whichever it is, if the path in Txtsetup.sif to boot and source files is not valid.

Wouldn't help. Setup will complain about the next file, whichever it is, if the path in Txtsetup.sif to boot and source files is not valid.

Very interesting :wacko: I will work on it some. I never give up! lol Maybe there is a fix. If not the good Ole'DVD will be just fine as a backup. Can't thank you enough, ilko_t

By the way, forgot to mention on my computer, I can pass the torch to USB from Grub4Dos BootCD and XP loads fine.

Asus Model:M4A88TD-M/USB3. Got this board last Dec

Edited by laddanator

What does this do

default /windefault?

in the header of the winsetup.lst

Sets another file where default entry of the sub-menu in winsetup.lst is written to. E.g. if user once starts Text mode, GUI mode will be set as default, thus next reboot if left unattended GUI mode will start automatically.

http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/menu.htm#default

By the way, forgot to mention on my computer, I can pass the torch to USB from Grub4Dos BootCD and XP loads fine.
Good to know, thanks.