How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Ok, been playing around with the new firadisk and the new way that its used to load Win 7 and I am impressed. Well it might not be new but new to me. Now my Win7x86 DVD is 3.47 gigs. The whole thing is not copied to ram is it?

set MYISO=Win7.iso

dd if=()/firadisk/au.xml of=()/AutoUnattend.xml

map --mem (md)0x800+4 (99)

map /ISO/%MYISO% (0xff)

map (hd0) (hd1)

map (hd1) (hd0)

map --hook

write (99) [FiraDisk]\nStartOptions=cdrom,vmem=find:/ISO/%MYISO%;\n\0

chainloader (0xff)/BOOTMGR || chainloader (0xff)

Edited by laddanator

Hi again. Is it possible to insert Intel AHCI drivers from grub4dos emulated floppy during Windows XP Pro SP3 setup? I don't want to slipstream them using nLite, cause I'd like to keep installation files as generic and unmodified as possible (suitable for wider range of machines). So I created floppy image with mtools:

mformat -C -f 1440 -i floppy.img ::
mcopy -i floppy.img iaAhci.inf iaAhci.cat iaStor.inf iaStor.cat iaStor.sys TxtSetup.oem ::

And then in grub4dos before "/bootws/2.lst" gets executed, I map that floppy image:

map --mem /floppy.img (fd0)
map --mem /floppy.img (fd1)

When windows setup starts, after pressing F6, I'm able to select desired AHCI driver, but when setup completes drive formatting, following message is displayed:

Insert the disk labeled:
Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver
into drive A:

* Press ENTER when ready.

Hitting Enter does nothing :( Am I doing something wrong? Why setup doesn't see floppy anymore?

Edited by danafik

Have you tried add the above line to 2.lst?

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
ls (0xff)/ && root (0xff)
ls (0xff)/ && chainloader (0xff)/I386/SETUPLDR.BIN
ls (0xff)/ || rootnoverify (hd0)
ls (0xff)/ || chainloader (hd0)+1
boot

Not sure this will work..nothing to test this on at the moment.

There is new far better and universal approach by one of the grub4dos developers Chenall- DPMS, look at cdob's post:

Nice....this is already been useful. I have been out of the loop for almost a year. Been just the last two months I have been active in the program world again. So much has changed.

Have you tried add the above line to 2.lst?

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
boot

Not sure this will work..nothing to test this on at the moment.

That's exactly what I did, and it's not working. Now reading the stuff ilko_t suggested, will report later.

That's exactly what I did, and it's not working. Now reading the stuff ilko_t suggested, will report later.

I been testing the method ilko_t suggested about the dpms and I download the latest pack and add this to my menu(this is just an example test)

iftitle [find --set-root --devices=c /laddsbootdvd.tag && call set DVDRoot=%@root^%] Nod32 Low Ram (Firadisk) From %DVDRoot%\n  
password --md5 $1$A$hzYlFap3SLNNQ/tA7c3.S.
find --set-root --devices=c /laddsbootdvd.tag
if exist %DVDRoot%/laddsbootdvd.tag set SATA=%DVDRoot%/dpms/dpms.bat
set FD=%DVDRoot%/Nod/firadisk.img
set Nod32=%DVDRoot%/Nod/Nod32.iso
echo %Nod32%
echo %SATA%
echo %FD%
pause
%SATA%
checkrange 0x80 read 0x8280 && map (hd1) (hd0)
checkrange 0x80 read 0x8280 && map (hd0) (hd1)
map %Nod32% (222)
map %FD% (fd0)
map %FD% (fd1)
map --harddrives=1
map --hook
write (99) [FiraDisk]\nStartOptions=cdrom,vmem=find:%Nod32%;floppy,vmem=find:%FD%;\n\0
rootnoverify (222)
chainloader

and the dpms.bat runs fine but two issues. I ran this on 3 newer computers with SATA Hard Drives...1. Asus P5GC-MX/1333 and returned "No Drivers Found" and instead of continuing to load my command, it kick me back to the menu.lst on root of my USB(issue 2)

2. Asus M4A88TD-M/USB3 found the proper drivers, loaded and finished the command

3.Toshiba Model 9704-CTO "NO Drivers Found"

So I am 1 out of 3 and not sure why there would be no drivers for these models. I use the same Driverpack drivers to load the systems and the are loaded fine

@ilko_t, thank you for pointing me to the right direction. And thank you for your great program, WinSetupFromUSB.

So, I succeeded in installing AHCI driver (single) from virtual floppy during Windows XP Pro SP3 installation. Both approaches to mapping virtual floppy work equally well (see below), as I performed two complete/full windows XP installations for testing purposes on this machine.

For start, I downloaded stock/original Intel AHCI drivers from Intel's website http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=2101&DwnldID=20625〈=eng&iid=dc_rss

Modified TXTSETUP.OEM as following:

[Defaults]
scsi = iaAHCI_9RDODH

And copied TXTSETUP.OEM with other 5 files (iaahci.cat, iaahci.inf, iastor.cat, iastor.inf, iastor.sys) to empty floppy image file. And then proceeded to installation. Note, that I didn't press F6 during setup.

This works (contents of /bootws/2.lst file):

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)

map --mem /f6.img (fd1)
map --mem (md)0x6000+800 (fd0)

map --hook

dd if=(fd1) of=(fd0) count=1

boot

This works too (contents of /bootws/2.lst file):

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)

map --mem /f6.img (fd0)
map --mem /f6.img (fd1)

map --hook
boot

UPDATE: Virtual floppy with default single driver needs to be mapped only during the first part of windows setup (txt mode).

Edited by danafik

That's exactly what I did, and it's not working.

I didn't think that was working, what I posted ?

map (hd0) (hd1)

map (hd1) (hd0)

map --hook

boot

Is the floppy.img different than f6.img?

@laddanator, well, now it's working :) though to make it work TXTSETUP.OEM file's "[Defaults]" stanza needs to be modified to include default single driver name, it allows to proceed without pressing F6, as windows setup automatically copies default driver.

As for f6.img and floppy.img, they are the same. I just renamed the file.

Edited by danafik

@laddanator, well, now it's working :) though to make it work TXTSETUP.OEM file's "[Defaults]" stanza needs to be modified to include default single driver name, it allows to proceed without pressing F6, as windows setup automatically copies default driver.

Cool Beans! I created a f6.img with Imdisk but it was 50mb...I included all the Driverpack sata drivers for LiveXP and it took to long to extract so I took that option out. I would really like to learn the dpms method better. Funny on the same machines listed above that no dpms driver was found, if I use Virtual Box...a driver is found?

Edited by laddanator

I've got on ASUS EEEPC 1015PD

Input/output error

while access to multi<0>disk<0>rdisk<2>partition<1>

Installation impossible.

What can be the reason?

Did you use PLoP boot manager entry before launching Setup?

Do you have other USB disks or mass storage devices attached?

Have you used that USB disk and Windows Setup on a computer with 2 internal hard disks?

errorram.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I just wanted to see if I am thinking correctly about the error in the pic. I use my Asus M4A88TD-M/USB3 to do must of my test booting on. The error from the pic came from this machine. I had been doing allot of ram based booting before this error. Loaded LiveXP to ram, used firadisk to load XP ISO to ram with the method from here

and also loaded XP from a created ram drive CD with firadisk with this but doesn't load the ISO to ram, just creates ram virtual CD(I guess)

iftitle [find --set-root --devices=h /laddsbootusb.tag && call set USBRoot=%@root^%] XP Home SP3 Install From ISO Part 1 From %USBRoot%\n                             
password --md5 $1$A$hzYlFap3SLNNQ/tA7c3.S.
find --set-root --devices=h /laddsbootusb.tag
checkrange 0x80 read 0x8280 && map () (hd1)
checkrange 0x80 read 0x8280 && map (hd1) ()
map /XP/HOME.ISO (222)
map /XP/firadisk.img (fd0)
map /XP/firadisk.img (fd1)
map --harddrives=1
map --hook
write (99) [FiraDisk]\nStartOptions=cdrom,vmem=find:/XP/HOME.ISO;floppy,vmem=find:/XP/firadisk.img;\n\0
rootnoverify (222)
chainloader (222)/I386/SETUPLDR.BIN

My point being all of this was loaded to ram and I never finished an install because I was running speed test to see which would load the text setup faster and I used winsetupfromusb last so my thoughts are that the ram was full and couldn't load the small ISO to ram?

Also, I didn't use PLoP and I only changed that line in BOOTWS for the ?.lst to that I was told too. The (hd0,0) part but everything has been working fine. Seems to be hit and miss with the error in the pic. Just one hard drive and one USB drive.

UPDATE

I tried to install XP on a fresh computer as in I hadn't loaded anything to ram and I got the error from the pic? I thought maybe my small ISO was fragmented but ran a check with Wincontig and all was fine. Just the day before I was loading XP fine with winsetupfromusb 1.0 beta 7 with the same USB stick

Edited by laddanator

Did you use PLoP boot manager entry before launching Setup?

Do you have other USB disks or mass storage devices attached?

Have you used that USB disk and Windows Setup on a computer with 2 internal hard disks?

Plop was not used

other USB disk was no connected

Only one HDD (netbook)

Finally I was short of time end used Novicorp WinToFlash 0.7.0020 beta to create a new flash drive.

it use defoult setting like this

[boot Loader]

Timeout=30

Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[Operating Systems]

C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT = "1st, text mode setup (Boot from flash again after finished)"

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="2nd, GUI mode setup, continue setup + 1st start of Windows" /fastdetect

C:\ = "---> DEBUG, in case of HAL.DLL or NTOSKRNL.EXE not found errors <---"

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 2" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 3" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 4" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 1" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 2" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 3" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 4" /fastdetect

This time I was lucky.

PS. I can see same kind error on the screenshot of laddanator