How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Would you write what exactly you change?

title EXPERIMENTAL - Start PLoP boot manager\nYou may want to try it if your computer boots from USB slowly.\nOnce booted,select USB from its menu to load USB 2.0 drivers.\nPlease report any issues to its author at www.plop.at

ls /usbdrive.tag || find --set-root --ignore-cd /usbdrive.tag

kernel /plpbt.bin

to

title Start PLoP boot manager\nYou may want to try it if your computer boots from USB slowly.\nOnce booted,select USB from its menu to load USB 2.0 drivers.\nPlease report any issues to its author - www.plop.at

find --set-root --ignore-cd /usbdrive.tag

kernel /plpbt.bin

and

title Start linuxmint-9-lxde-cd-i386 from partition 0

map --unmap=0:0xff

map --unhook

root (hd0,0)

map /linuxmint-9-lxde-cd-i386.iso (0xff) || map --mem /linuxmint-9-lxde-cd-i386.iso (0xff)

map --hook

root (0xff)

configfile /grub4dos.lst || chainloader (0xff)

to

title Linux Mint Lxde9

find --set-root /linuxmint-9-lxde-cd-i386.iso

map /linuxmint-9-lxde-cd-i386.iso (0xff)

map --hook

root (0xff)

kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper persistent iso-scan/filename=/linuxmint-9-lxde-cd-i386.iso splash

initrd /casper/initrd.lz

4) In grub4dos CLI (press "c" when you see boot menu entries) type the following:

root (

and press [TAB] right after (, what's the result?

Error11:Unrecognized device string.

geometry (hd99)

and [ENTER] , what's the result?

Error21:selected disk to not exists.

find /usbdrive.tag

[ENTER] , what's the result?

(hd0,0)

Actually if i remember well i was getting the error without plop too.

I'd like this to be confirmed.

You are right it didn`t happen without plop.

The install without plop works as expected(actually much better than that).It was really fast.it boot the installer slow as expected, but the actual copy of files to the partition was extremely fast(less than 10sec(how is that possible?)) and the second part of the install was very fast too.total install time ~10min.It`s the fastest install time i have ever seen on that PC!

So i am stunned. I want to congratulate you again for the great work your doing.I am sorry couldn't `t answer all the questions, but i don`t really see the point of using plop.

I am sorry couldn't `t answer all the questions, but i don`t really see the point of using plop.

If you had a motherboard with USB 2.0 chips BUT with BIOS using it at 1.1 speed only you would know what the point is. ;)

jaclaz

Would you write what exactly you change?

title EXPERIMENTAL - Start PLoP boot manager\nYou may want to try it if your computer boots from USB slowly.\nOnce booted,select USB from its menu to load USB 2.0 drivers.\nPlease report any issues to its author at www.plop.at

ls /usbdrive.tag || find --set-root --ignore-cd /usbdrive.tag

kernel /plpbt.bin

to

title Start PLoP boot manager\nYou may want to try it if your computer boots from USB slowly.\nOnce booted,select USB from its menu to load USB 2.0 drivers.\nPlease report any issues to its author - www.plop.at

find --set-root --ignore-cd /usbdrive.tag

kernel /plpbt.bin

and

title Start linuxmint-9-lxde-cd-i386 from partition 0

map --unhook

root (hd0,0)

map /linuxmint-9-lxde-cd-i386.iso (0xff) || map --mem /linuxmint-9-lxde-cd-i386.iso (0xff)

map --hook

root (0xff)

configfile /grub4dos.lst || chainloader (0xff)

to

title Linux Mint Lxde9

find --set-root /linuxmint-9-lxde-cd-i386.iso

map /linuxmint-9-lxde-cd-i386.iso (0xff)

map --hook

root (0xff)

kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper persistent iso-scan/filename=/linuxmint-9-lxde-cd-i386.iso splash

initrd /casper/initrd.lz

I doubt this has anything to do with PLoP entries, they appear correct. It is the Linux Mint entries which needed changes. The program would not recognise it's an Ubuntu based distro and would make just a generic entries, which would boot ONLY ISOs which are compatible with this method, examples:

http://reboot.pro/5041/

Tip- as the program searches for 'buntu' string in the iso file name being added, simply adding this string to the file name of any Ubuntu based distro ISO which support the "iso-scan/filename" kernel parameter, would result in a properly generated entry, as the one you posted.

File name must not contain spaces.

Of course I have no means to test and include all Ubuntu derivatives and their versions, which support that parameter and search for their ISO file in this location, but reports are always welcome.

4) In grub4dos CLI (press "c" when you see boot menu entries) type the following:

root (

and press [TAB] right after (, what's the result?

You must have missed space after 'root', but anyway, we got what we needed.

Actually if i remember well i was getting the error without plop too.

I'd like this to be confirmed.

You are right it didn`t happen without plop.

The install without plop works as expected(actually much better than that).It was really fast.it boot the installer slow as expected, but the actual copy of files to the partition was extremely fast(less than 10sec(how is that possible?)) and the second part of the install was very fast too.total install time ~10min.It`s the fastest install time i have ever seen on that PC!

So i am stunned. I want to congratulate you again for the great work your doing.I am sorry couldn't `t answer all the questions, but i don`t really see the point of using plop.

Was this a slimmed down source :blink: Fast, fast, but it shouldn't be that fast. If whole setup worked fine then good, happy to read this.

In fact, PLoP would speed up only the initial loading process on slow USB booting machines during XP/2000/2003 Setup, only when loading drivers, after that stage built in OS USB 2.0 drivers take control and one would have full USB speed.

There are other scenarios on such machines, say loading big, fragmented, Ubuntu or whatever ISO file in memory, when PLoP would greatly improve speed.

Was this a slimmed down source :blink: Fast, fast, but it shouldn't be that fast. If whole setup worked fine then good, happy to read this.

In fact, PLoP would speed up only the initial loading process on slow USB booting machines during XP/2000/2003 Setup, only when loading drivers, after that stage built in OS USB 2.0 drivers take control and one would have full USB speed.

There are other scenarios on such machines, say loading big, fragmented, Ubuntu or whatever ISO file in memory, when PLoP would greatly improve speed.

A slightly slimmed source.Whole setup worked fine that why i am curious,The usb2.0 never take control on that pc(and i really don`t know why) that is why the plop gives a high boost. The inicial fase is really short in my case(it load only the drivers the pc needs) so its not a issue to wait it.

About the linux part i really didn`t want to post as an issue as the program is for windows install and the rest is irrelevant.

You must have missed space after 'root', but anyway, we got what we needed.

That is very possible i will do it again today.

I checked it.It`s the correct output for root ( tab

Edited by chavis

Using the latest beta 7 on a Asus EeePC 4G Surf (4GB SSD/NAND?)

resulted in

- I Love PLoP Boot Manager. Trying it to boot to USB did not work on this Asus 4G Surf.

- during Setup the USB flash drive (4GB too) is mistaken by me for the HDD and seen bu Setup as the letter U:

- Setup was way too slow, took hours and hours (probably due to Setup installing on the USB Flash)

- After Setup was finished I see on the screen "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information"

probably due to the OS has been installed on the USB Flash.

Thanks for the hard work invested in the project.

I am trying again, I hope this time I make it install on C: :) LOL

P.S. It worked. Many thanks :)

Edited by NetworkPro

I just got over 1TB HDD and wish to install WIN XP. I already have one Disk which has win 7 installed, but during my install I had disabled that Disk so as it does not corrupt the MBR of that disk..

I am not being able to reach the Text Menu even. My system does boot from USB and gives the options to chose where WINDOWS is installed. After that whatever I chose I either get <WINDOWS ROOT>\...\HAL.DLL not found.

My boot.ini file looks like following

[boot Loader]

Timeout=5

Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[Operating Systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="rdisk(1)partition(1)" /FASTDETECT

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="rdisk(2)partition(1)" /FASTDETECT

c:\="-------------------------"

c:\="Try entries below if getting HAL.DLL/NTOSKRNL.EXE not found errors"

c:\="--------------------------"

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(3)partition(1)\WINDOWS="rdisk(3)partition(1)" /FASTDETECT

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(4)partition(1)\WINDOWS="rdisk(4)partition(1)" /FASTDETECT

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="rdisk(0)partition(1)" /FASTDETECT

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 1" /FASTDETECT

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 2" /FASTDETECT

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 3" /FASTDETECT

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 4" /FASTDETECT

I have tried various combos regarding the DISK and Partition number but nothing seemed to work.

Kindly advise what I am missing on. I used WinSetupfromUSB 0.2.2.

While Installing I had only One HDD, set as my secondary HDD. Primary being the USB drive(8GB), both key and HDD are formatted as NTFS.

Let me know if any other detail is required

Thanks in advance.

P.S. It worked. Many thanks :)

Thanks for the feedback.

It will be very well if design of main window little improve.

Because in my monitor in 120dpi font resolution i have next views:.

Putting it in the to-do list.

I just got over 1TB HDD and wish to install WIN XP. I already have one Disk which has win 7 installed, but during my install I had disabled that Disk so as it does not corrupt the MBR of that disk..

I am not being able to reach the Text Menu even. My system does boot from USB and gives the options to chose where WINDOWS is installed. After that whatever I chose I either get <WINDOWS ROOT>\...\HAL.DLL not found.

Well, it's perfectly normal to get these errors if you haven't passed the first part of setup. The point is why it's not showing up.

Use either the latest stable 0.2.3 version or even better- 1.0 beta7 and try again.

It would be good idea if you only disabled the other internal disk in BIOS to disconnect it, not only disable it.

HI ilko_tm

Thanks, i was able to make it work by using the latest version. The version i had was not installing the grub4OS on the pendrive. this was not allowing to actually start the installation. Got the latest version whihc did the needful.

Well now stuck with multi-os boot problem Hopefully will be able to resolve using the EasyBCD. I have installed WinXP on a system whihc already had Win 7 installed.

Will keep ya posted

Cheers!!!

Virus

Tried to download 1.0 beta7 and no luck.

I got to the download page and the download link responds, but the resulting file is only around 1K and clearly not the archive file it's supposed to be.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Hi

Just a quick question about the folder structuring. I wish to have my Installation Sources inside a folder called Installs. I only have 2 Sources for install, Win XP Pro and Win 7 Pro. I have used WinSetupfromUSB to create the bootable drive but due to me having extra apps and folders on the drive i wanted to tidy it up a bit.

What is the easiest way for me to do this?

Cheers

Hello again!

I've got a little question. The story so far:

I've made a bootable usb disk using Beta6 (or Beta 7, doesn't matter, I think). Everything working fine, until I've plugged in the stick in an infested computer. The computer had a version of autorun.inf virus, but I desinfected the stick quite easily. The problem is that after infection/desinfection, the stick isn't working anymore. After I hit install, I get the message "Windows is now inspecting your configuration...", and right after this message, I get the error from attach.

Of course, I've rebuilded the usb stick and it works again. The question is that if I have an alternate method to "fix" the usb stick, without wiping out and start from scratch. I've tried reinstalling grub4dos, but it is clearly not related to that and didn't worked.

Thank you!

PS: Now I asked myself where are the old pen drives with write protection...? :)

post-153929-0-99070400-1294945726_thumb.

Edited by MackTK