Anyone know SONY's default Admin password?

bizzybody

I did a clean install of a Sony VAIO PCG-GR270P (The end P is for XP Pro) from its recovery CDs (which put on original release XP Pro), installed SP2 then SP3, all the available driver and application updates and all the latest updates from MS.

Now WTH did Sony set for the Administrator account password?! It's not blank, it's not SONY nor is it VAIO or password. I have boot CDs that can change the password, but I want to know what Sony set it as so I can put it in a text file on a CD-R with all the updates and other stuff that will be going to the laptop's new owner.

I don't have the books and Sony does not have any manual to download, so if it's in the manual, that does me no good. (All Sony has for docs are a spec sheet, quick start guide and warranty.)

I need to login as Administrator to set the power options there to see if that'll cure the stupid thing from ignoring what I set. I set it to NEVER turn anything off when plugged in, but it keeps changing it to Standby in 25 minutes on AC and never turn anything off on battery.

Edited by bizzybody

In Computer management, right click the Administrator user and "set password" to whatever you want.

It will still ask for the "old" password... And the OP was asking what the password is as the laptop is going to be sold. Unfortunately, I think you might have to contact Sony directly.

In Computer management, right click the Administrator user and "set password" to whatever you want.

It will still ask for the "old" password...

Have you tried ?

Yeah...If you're logged in to another account (with admin rights) you can change the password as described above without providing the old password. The only problem with this method is that any files that were encrypted using the account in question will no longer be accessible, but I'm guessing that is not a problem in your situation.

I contacted SONY via their online chat. The person I got insisted that the recovery discs didn't set a password and all I could do was re-do the restore. PFAUGH! on that.

I used the options to reformat the drive then restore, so there wasn't any way any pre-existing stuff could cause a password to be set. SONY support = FAIL. At no time was I asked to enter an Administrator password, not even during install of SP2 or SP3.

Sooo I booted it with a DaRT 5.0 CD and used Locksmith to change the password. I'd still like to know what the default is.

Since that's been crowbar-ed, the only other issue I have is finding a way to have it turn the display off when the lid is closed, like every other non-Sony laptop I own or have owned.

I contacted SONY via their online chat. The person I got insisted that the recovery discs didn't set a password and all I could do was re-do the restore. PFAUGH! on that.

I used the options to reformat the drive then restore, so there wasn't any way any pre-existing stuff could cause a password to be set. SONY support = FAIL. At no time was I asked to enter an Administrator password, not even during install of SP2 or SP3.

Sooo I booted it with a DaRT 5.0 CD and used Locksmith to change the password. I'd still like to know what the default is.

Since that's been crowbar-ed, the only other issue I have is finding a way to have it turn the display off when the lid is closed, like every other non-Sony laptop I own or have owned.

I have had the same problem to this and came across this in my travels....

Its from the dudes at SourceForge and its called Ophcrack, they have have made a live cd for it for both XP and Vista.

What it does is scans the HDD for password hashes (the SAM file where passwords are stored) and attempts to dechiper them using rainbow tables. this is all automatic so no need to do anything at all simply let it run.

1. Download the iso

2. Burn to CD using Nero or something similar

3. Boot from the CD

It will (assuming it cracks the password) display ALL passwords currently stored on the system so simply write it down then reboot.

Below is the link to the download page (this is totally freeware)

http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/download.php?type=livecd

Edited by Stoner81