windows xp starter edition

rldelrosario

Good day again to everyone. I know with all the hype on vista, this might be a little late. Anyway, we have a couple of pcs running on pirated xp pro software (unfortunately). Since these are old units, vista is out of the equation. However, there's a computer shop still selling windows xp starter edition. Since these old units will be used basically for office docs, some web browsing and itunes, would the starter edition be a reasonable alternative (considering the great bargain we'll be getting). I think reformatting is the call of the day, but that's fine as long as we end up with genuine software.

If so, what are we sacrificing, and will the starter edition recieve updates and upgrades.

Thanks again guys.

rldelrosario

Here is your BIGGEST drawbacks.

Simplified task management. With Windows XP Starter Edition, first-time home PC users can have up to three programs and three windows per program running concurrently. Further simplification of the operating system includes setting a maximum display resolution of 1024x768 and no support for PC-to-PC home networking, sharing printers across a network or more advanced features such as the ability to establish multiple user accounts on a single PC.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/newsroo...PStarterFS.mspx <-- Full info

I truly applaude your effort to go legal!

Here is your BIGGEST drawbacks.
Simplified task management. With Windows XP Starter Edition, first-time home PC users can have up to three programs and three windows per program running concurrently. Further simplification of the operating system includes setting a maximum display resolution of 1024x768 and no support for PC-to-PC home networking, sharing printers across a network or more advanced features such as the ability to establish multiple user accounts on a single PC.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/newsroo...PStarterFS.mspx <-- Full info

I truly applaude your effort to go legal!

thanks for that K. i don't think it'll do as harm as networking these old pcs would be out. I did not see anything though about updates.

again, thanks.

ok here's the scenario.... you've installed a genuine xp software on a pc..... should that pc crash or something that would need reformatting, can you use the same xp installer...... will there be hassles as far as registration is concerned....

again, muchas gracias for your help....

:thumbup

OH OK!!!

Yes MS keeps you uniquely id'ed system id and the key in their servers for 4-6 mothns then they flush them.

So as long as the key matches the unique id when you reformat activation will go, or if its been longer than say 6 months activation will go.

How is the id made? = It is just made from the hardware internal id's and carries absolutly no real data.

So keep the right key with each system... Mark them like #1 & #2 so on.

Also they blacklist any keys found on the net. Hence the "pirated" problem you are having. So keep those keys safe.

PLUS! I have a friend that has starter edition! When he gets off work later tonight I will grab the disk and do some testing. I will then let you know the result of the updates question.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian